Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

NFL Draft only 10 days away. My dream scenario for the Browns...

immort9888's picture
April 28, 2014 at 3:47pm
36 Comments

Let's do this Brownies...

Round 1 - Pick 4 = Khalil Mack OLB 

Please let this happen so Paul Kruger can be cut.  Please, please, please.  And please don't take a QB with this pick when they likely will all be available at Pick 26.

Round 1 - Pick 26 = Johnny Manziel QB

We have to take some form of a QB right?  I actually think Manziel could thrive in Shanahan's system more than any of the others.

Round 2 - Pick 35 = Xavier Su'a-Filo OG

Why not grab the best zone blocking guard in the draft?  Hopefully, he is still on the board with this pick.

TRADE Round 2 - Pick 62 = Allen Robinson WR

Browns trade their 3rd round pick (#83), 4th round pick (#106) and 6th round pick (#180) to the New England Patriots for the 62nd pick in the draft to take the most underrated WR in the first two rounds.  The Browns don't need 10 draft picks.  Send two of them to NE and move up.

Round 3 - Pick 71 = Stanley Jean-Baptiste CB

A 6'3" physical cornerback to play opposite Joe Haden?  Sign me up.  

Round 4 - Pick 127 = Ed Reynolds FS

Gibson needs a little push at the FS position.  

Round 5 - Pick 145 = Max Bullough ILB

Yeah, he played for *ichigan State.  Yeah, he has off the field issues.  But he is better than Borland, IMO, and Karlos Dansby will kick his ass if he acts up. 

Round 7 - Pick 218 = Tyler Gaffney RB

A late round gem at RB?  Gaffney has only one full season under his belt.  Lots of tread on those tires.  No need to spend a high draft pick taking a backup to Ben Tate.  

What is your dream scenario for the Browns?  

Johnny-Shane_Utah-Falco's picture

I think they go with Bortles with the 1A pick, and Shazier with the 1B pick

-2 HS
immort9888's picture

I love the 1B pick.  Although you might be right, I would vomit with the 1A pick...

OSUStu's picture

Why?  Mack might be the best player in this draft.

If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.  ~ Bruce Lee

Vinginia_Buckeye's picture

Great stuff! can tell you put a lot of thought into this scenario. I think it would be perfect if they went that rout. Adresses every major team need that way. A+ in my book.

" I'm a Buckeye "

-1 HS
1MechEng's picture

I would like to see things shake out a little differently ...

#4 - Sammy Watkins, WR - Clemson - gives any QB a 1 and 1A receiving option with Watkins and Gordon

#26 - Darqueze Dennard, CB - MSU - shutdown corner opposite Haden in a pass happy league? Yes, please.

#35 - Zach Mettenberger, QB - LSU - Qb in training for a few games behind Hoyer.

#71 - Carlos Hyde, RB - The OSU - Ben Tate will get injured. Bank on it.

#83 - LaMarcus Joyner, S - FSU - Finish solidifying the secondary

#106 - David Yankey, OG - Stanford - Adds depth to the OL

#127 - ???

#218 - Kenny Guiton, QB - The OSU - Take a flyer in Rd. 7 on a guy who is a smart football player and good team leader.

+5 HS
sbentz4's picture

I like these picks, but think that Dennard will be gone. 

+3 HS
logamaniac's picture

and mettenberger is a reach that early

+1 HS
d5k's picture

There's 4 elite players in the draft according to all experts so if the Browns aren't going QB they have to hope Mack or Watkins falls.  Then they are in no man's land where the best available player(s) are left tackles and they don't need one of those.  And since there would be several OT's on the board in that scenario they would only get a good trade offer from a team looking to get a QB.  

As a Bengals fan I wouldn't mind trading up to get a left tackle but it looks likely we will take a back seven player for depth instead in round 1.  If they don't get a left tackle in the draft I would guess Whitworth is going back out to tackle after a good season at guard.  Not sure if they planned on moving Andre Smith over.

Danify's picture

#4 - Sammy Watkins, WR - Clemson - Hoyer will love having Watkins, Gordon, Cameron as receiving targets.

#26 - Kyle Fuller, CB - Virginia Tech - Excellent size (6'0" | 200 lbs) and quickness to work along with Joe Haden. 

#35 - AJ McCarron, QB - Alabama - They call him an game manager, but he's an winner, doesn't make mistakes, has good size, and will have the ability to take an year or two to learn the playbook.

#71 - Chris Borland, ILB - Wisconsin - Ball hawk, with the ability to get 100+ tackles an season and lock down the run game between the tackles. Inside LB along with Dansby.

#83 - Ka'Deem Carey, RB - Arizona - Slasher with good size to be an one-two combo with Tate. Also, allows for an safety valve in case Tate get injured with Dion Lewis coming back.

#106 - Jack Mewhort, OT - Ohio State - Perfect candidate to tie up the loose end on the right tackle position. Will allow for Mitchell S. to move to right guard.

Possible different picks to switch ins. Just in case Fuller and Watkins are taken - (#4 Jake Matthews - OT) - (#26 Derek Carr - Excellent size, strongest arm strength in the draft) - (#35  Keith McGill - 6'3" CB to match up with the larger WRs of the AFC North) - (#83  Jared Abbrederis - WR) - (#106 Shayne Skov, ILB - Stanford).

+2 HS
immort9888's picture

I'm concerned that Watkins isn't that much better than the other receivers, i.e., Mike Evans, Odell Beckham, Brandin Cooks and Allen Robinson.  With that said, I wouldn't be upset with Watkins going at #4 though.  I'd like it a whole lot more than Bortles/Bridgewater/Carr/Manziel.  When all is said and done, I think the Browns do take Manziel with #4 and break my heart.  

I like taking a CB with the 26th pick.  My personal favorite in that range is the kid from TCU, Jason Verrett.  I think he will be Antoine Winfield 2.0.  

+2 HS
sbentz4's picture

Marquise Lee, Kelvin Benjamin, Landry, Moncrief...Very deep at WR this draft

+1 HS
d5k's picture

Watkins is rare in that he is a threat anywhere on the field.  He is Harvin-like in short areas in the quick passing game and he is also a lethal deep threat.  If he is there at #4 it is likely that Mack is off the board anyway.  The only realistic scenarios where this isn't true involve a tackle (likely Robinson) and QB going top 3.  But of course the reports could always be way off and some weird picks could happen.  But the Browns might be one of the teams to take a weird pick if Watkins/Mack/Clowney are the top 3.

immort9888's picture

Danify,

I'm glad you mentioned Dion Lewis.  I think he is going to be a really good 3rd down back and maybe even more.  This is one of the reasons I think it would be smart for the Browns to wait until very late to take another RB.  Other than McCarron, I like what you did.   

BassDropper's picture

My dream draft

4. Sammy Watkins

Trade up to 16- 21 and get Johnny Football. Even if he does slide, I have a hard time believing he falls to 26...look at Tebow, someone was intrigued enough to spend a top 15 pick on him lol.

2nd- Shazier/Roby or Hyde

3rd- If any of the 3 Buckeyes are available at this pick, I wouldn't hesitate to send my card in.

Yes Im a Buckeye homer, but I think any of those 3 make the Browns better.

DIRECTIONER

-1 HS
tennbuckeye19's picture

Tebow was actually taken 25th overall back in 2010.

+1 HS
Go1Bucks's picture

and where is T today?

Go Bucks!

immort9888's picture

1MechEng,

If Yankey falls to the 4th round, it would be a coup.  I like your list too.  Too bad the Browns will screw this up.

+3 HS
DefenceWinsChampionships's picture

Dream - #4) Sammy Watkins (commence offensive grossness...), #26 - Darquez Denard - landing the second best CB in the draft here is amazing. TRADE! using our 2nd and top 4th we move up to #30 to land our QB in Bridgewater, who going into bowl season was the consensus best QB in the draft (Thank you bad pro day!), 3rd round we land David Yankey and Christian Jones, a mauling guard to fix the o-line and a fast, violent ILB to replace the void that started next to Jackson last year. In the bottom of round 4 we get Lache Seastrunck as solid insurance for Tate, and in round 5 we get competition for Gibson in the form of Safety Brock Vereen.

More realistic - #4) Watkins, #26) Manzel, 2nd round) Jason Varrett CB, 3rd round) Bishop Sankey RB, and Christian Jones 4th round) Jack Mewhort, and ILB Shayne Skov to give more depth to our thinnest unit, 5th round) Vereen

What will really happen... because we're the clowns... We blow our load early and take Carr at 4, followed by taking an average guard in Joel Bitonio from Nevada at 26... you know, just in case you weren't depressed enough after the first pick. In round 2 we get a solid but unspectacular receiver in Allen Robinson, and in round 3 we get a combo of project OLB Kyle Van Noy and surprisingly underrated RB Kadeem Carey. In round 4 we continue the clown show by taking a DT and an ILB projected to go in round 6 (because we're smarter than everyone else.) In round 5 we draft Bert from Ark to be our new coach, because isn't it time for a regime change???

+3 HS
immort9888's picture

Bass,

I think you are probably right about trading up to get Johnny Football.  If that happens, it probably kills the Browns ability to move back up into the second round by trading a 3,4, and 6.  Maybe Carr or Garappolo would still be sitting at #26.

It is sad that this is my favorite time of the year to be a Browns fan.  This is the only time the Browns are ever up at the top of the standings.

DefenceWinsChampionships's picture

They're only at the top of the standings until the draft grades come out... then you just hear a sad trombone and everyone wants to go home.

+2 HS
immort9888's picture

DefenceWinsCham...,

If you changed Allen Robinson to Kelvin Benjamin, I might jump off a bridge.  I have a sneaking suspicion that Robinson is going to be good.  He reminds me of Keenan Allen.  Maybe it is because they share a name, I don't know.  Actually, if Bert is ever associated with the Browns or Buckeyes, I will jump off a bridge.  But your likely scenario isn't too far fetched, unfortunately.  

Dream wise, if Skov falls into the 3rd of 4th round that would be awesome.  I'd love to have him, but I think he will probably go late in the second round.  

d5k's picture

Everything I've read leads me to believe Bortles, Manziel and likely Carr could be gone by pick 26 but Bridgewater will likely be there (and may fall to middle rounds).

nikolajz1's picture

My dream Browns draft is Manziel, Su'a Filo, Allen Robinson, Borland, and Hyde. 

I'm very confident in thinking the Browns take Manziel. As good as Mack is, we need a QB badly and not more help on defense. 

immort9888's picture

This list plus Mack would make me even happier.  Maybe the Browns make some moves and use a pick next year to get your crop listed above and Mack.  I would be dancing circles, but it probably won't happen.  The #4 pick is probably going to be Manziel or Bortles, unfortunately.

-1 HS
osubuck57's picture

Most say Farmer is a good NFL exec. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt until he proves otherwise.( If he drafts a QB at #4, disregard everything I just said.)  Watkins if he's there at #4, PLEASEEEEEEEE. If not, trade down in the draft to get another 2nd and possibly 3rd or 4th round pick. Call me crazy, but I'd go CB with #26, if they stay there. I'd take a QB in 2nd-3rd round. And would definitely take a RB higher, because Ben Tate has not proven he can stay healthy.

SCOTTC.

brunstar's picture

We all know how this ends for the Browns.  They move up one spot in the draft for Kellen Winslow Jr. and trade next year's first rounder in the process.  Or just remove Kellen Winslow Jr. and replace it with Trent Richardson.

-1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Watkins and Defense

+1 HS
Go1Bucks's picture

As a lifer Browns fan, I was looking forward to reading this post- then I saw your first three picks and changed my mind.  I think I'll just wait and see.  Good Luck Browns! Pick well.

Go Bucks!

+1 HS
RedStorm45's picture

Radio stations in Cleveland are reporting there is buzz around Mike Evans for the 4th pick.  LOLOLOL please let it happen, universe.

Colerain 2004 G.O.A.T.'s picture

I honestly think that is a smoke screen. A couple of teams have said they would like to trade up to 5th or 6th pick to grab Evans. Might be a little gamesmanship going on and the Browns trying to make their pick more valuable. Very similar situation to the AJ Green-Julio Jones draft and trade scenario.Falcons originally wanted Green and tried hard to get to the 4th pick to get him but wound up settling on trading with the Browns at 6 to get Jones. To me Watkins is the better talent right now and if those rumors are really flying it could possibly mean Watkins could go top 3 or maybe the Browns would entertain a trade for the right price. Its all just opinion but I see false info come out every year and it gets downright maddening and entertaining.Looking back Im really glad the Bengals held on and   selected Green, Im sure they would have botched it otherwise.

I speak the truth but I guess that's a foreign language to yall.~~Lil Wayne

buckeyestu's picture

Vince Young and Tyler Thigpen signed on earlier today. Wonder if the Brownies will draft a qb now?

OSUStu's picture

I saw the headline earlier and thought who?...Steve Young and Yancey Thigpen???

If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.  ~ Bruce Lee

+1 HS
otrain2416's picture

Here's how I see things with the Browns. This draft is one of the deepest drafts in a LONG time. My draft mentality is draft the best players possible and build a team around them. Do this while filling needs and not over reaching. Sounds simple, but always isn't. We have 7 picks in the first 4 rounds. At a bare minimum we should draft 4 starters. Obviously I'm just speculating guys may drop or get drafted before I have them slotted in. If they aren't in my later picks I'm assuming their gone. 

Browns needs: WR, OL, CB, S, QB, MLB

4th- Take the best player thats going to start from day 1 and make an impact, and the best player isn't any of the QBs IMO. Guys I would take here: Clowney, Watkins, Robinson, Evans, Matthews, Denard

26th: Fuller, Mosley, Manziel, Roby, Brandon Cooks, Marquis Lee 

35th- Su'a-Filo, Shazier, Allen Robinson, Dee Ford

71st or  87th- Chris Borland,  Zach Mettenberger, Jack Mewhort,  Will Sutton, Jared Abbrederis

7th round- Kenny Guiton

Danify's picture

Agree with you. 4th pick should be the best player available, I've been leaning toward if Sammy Watkins is gone and Mack is sitting there.  Talk to Atlanta about trading down to #6 for an extra pick or two. If that is the case draft Jake Matthews or Mike Evans. Imagine what you can do with Matthews and Thomas with Mack at center or even better Josh Gordon, Cameron Jordan, Ben Tate, and Mike Evans. Hoyer and drafted QB (hoping for Carr or Bridgewater) will be like kids in an candy store. Add Carlos Hyde in the second round pick @ #35, that's an huge 1-2-3 combo in Tate - Hyde - Lewis.

otrain2416's picture

Ya I would definitely trade down If Watkins, Clowney, and Robinson went 1 2 3. Draft Evans Matthews or Denard with Atlantas  pick.

Colerain 2004 G.O.A.T.'s picture

4.Watkins

26.Derek Carr

35.Carlos Hyde

71.Chris Borland

83.Jack Mewhort     This draft right here would scare me as a Bengals fan but excite me as a secondary Brownie.And that's only the first 3 rounds.

I speak the truth but I guess that's a foreign language to yall.~~Lil Wayne