Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

Short leash for David Moyes

sbentz4's picture
April 22, 2014 at 12:23pm
8 Comments

Manchester United has pulled the plug on Manager David Moyes after less than 1 season in the premiership.  The story from the BBC can be found here.  This story always paralleled Luke Fickell with OSU fans IMO.  Although English soccer fans seem to be a little more crazed than american football fans.  The fans were after Moyes for much of the season and I think that management eventually sided with them.  I think that one season is a little too small of a sample size to determine the coach's performance, especially since ManU is rebuilding much like the Browns who fired Chud after one season.

Bj Mullens over Sully's picture

Definitely think he had to go, way underperformed this year and Man U is going to spending lots of money this coming transfer season.  No way you want Moyes being the person in charge of building that roster.

Favorite Buckeye: Obviously BJ Mullens

+2 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

Anything less than Champions League soccer for Man U is unacceptable.... Reminds me of how spoiled we are as Ohio State fans.

I think a year is kind of a short time, but with the talent on that team and the position they are in right now, I think it's the right move.

The first man gets the ((((Oyster)))), the second man gets the shell.

+1 HS
FROMTHE18's picture

United's team sheet is pretty weak, I think they are right where they should be on the table considering how the other teams have played. Their midfield is average, at best and Rooney is playing horribly. Their strike force is pretty legit but they don't play Hernandez enough; he is their only true available striker. Their defense is shocking and does more damage for De Gea than good. Moyes is gone but I don't think its entirely his fault, I think the don't have a quality team this season. Not sure if they will be able to go after some big signings this summer as there aren't too many available defenders but who knows. And this is nothing like Luke Fickell and OSU. United haven't been this irrelevant in a Premiership season in quite a while and they lack any identity so changes will be made. Also, from my experience living in Europe, football (soccer) is a completely different animal to American football. Supporters tend to follow all major leagues, clubs, and players, particularly those comprising UEFA. Finally, United is nothing like the Browns. All United need to do is find a manager that can inspire the team and make a couple of signings and they will be back competing for Champs League spots next season. Cleveland is, well, Cleveland. 

sbentz4's picture

And this is nothing like Luke Fickell and OSU. United haven't been this irrelevant in a Premiership season in quite a while and they lack any identity so changes will be made.

Minus the one season under Fickell, when was the last time OSU was irrelevant?  OSU's defense is usually a strength of the team, so some people in our fanbase want changes to be made.  Seems nearly identical to me.

Finally, United is nothing like the Browns. 

I wasn't trying to compare the Browns to Man U, that is ridiculous.  I was just saying that both teams fired the head man after one season when not much was really expected, even though both teams probably underperformed.

BUCKfutter's picture

Finishing anywhere 2-5 this year was expected.  Being cemented in 7th when you still have the second or third most talented roster in the EPL (only clearly more talented team is City - Chelsea, Liverpool, and Arsenal are all pretty even with ManU in my opinion) is absolutely reason to pull the plug.

I will be happy when any team with Johnny Evans on it struggles.  Stu Holden has always been one of my favorites and what Evans did to him was criminal.

the kids are playing their tail off, and the coaches are screwing it up! - JLS

+1 HS
William's picture

only clearly more talented team is City - Chelsea, Liverpool, and Arsenal are all pretty even with ManU in my opinion

This is a joke, right? Manchester City, Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal are all more talented squads than Manchester United. If anything, Manchester United's poor season under Moyes demonstrates how good of a manager Ferguson was. 

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Man U expects the best every year and if they don't get it they will do anything and won't stop until they get what they want. The analogy to OSU football fans is dead on, at least IMHO.

+1 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

I think the most interesting thing to me is that Giggs is going to be the manager. I know he was like an assistant coach/player under Moyes, but you don't normally see that type of thing. 

It's kind of like John Fox getting sacked and Payton Manning becoming the head coach as well as the QB.

The first man gets the ((((Oyster)))), the second man gets the shell.

+1 HS