Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State football and basketball recruiting.

Recruiting - OSU will be just fine

BayArea_Buckeye's picture
May 7, 2014 at 11:49am
22 Comments

I was looking at the top hundred 247 Composite ranked players and here is a list of players we have an extremely legitimate chance of landing:

Rank/Player/Position/Stars

#11 - Torrance Gibson - QB - 5

#21 - Justin Hilliard - LB - 5

#23 - Damien Harris - RB - 5

#35 - Christian Kirk - WR - 4

#39 - Jerome Baker - ATH - 4

#65 - Ricky DeBerry - LB - 4

#74 - Matthew Burrell - OT - 4

#99 - Hale Hentges - TE - 4

#119 - Chris Clark - TE - 4 (this was a bonus, because between him and Hentges, I think we'll get one)

These are 8 players that I think we have a GREAT shot at getting. I'm sure there are others in the top 100 that we are in good standing with, but the mutual interest is not as publicly known. The 8 players above are extremely diverse in positions, and include three 5* players. By comparison, we only had one 5* last year and were in the top 3 classes, and only Alabama (6) & LSU (4) had more than three 5*s, and not by coincidence, they were ranked #1 and #2 in the final standings above OSU. 

Will we get all of the players above? Maybe not, but there is great chance we nab all of them, which will give us a total tally of 10 players, all 5 and 4 starts. And there will definitely be more to come, pre and post season. 

jeremytwoface's picture

No chance we get any of these players!!! There's not enough time!!! We only have like 9 months until National Signing Day!!

AHAHHHHAHHH!!!!!

The first man gets the ((((Oyster)))), the second man gets the shell.

+9 HS
RunEddieRun1983's picture

The "we'll be just fine" posts are becoming the new "why don't we have more players for the 2015 class?" posts.

I don't always downvote, but I do always downvote a Michigan fan trolling the Buckeye boards.

+4 HS
FloridaBuck's picture

Yes.  Fire Fickell!!

Shit, wrong thread.

OSU_ALUM_05's picture

never the wrong thread for that

+2 HS
Ahh Saturday's picture

I have no doubt that the Buckeyes will land at least a top 10 class when all is said and done, and probably a top 5 class.  The Buckeyes are sitting well with a number of top prospects at nearly every position.  Still, given the need for a QB in this class, and the fact that our top target has yet to make a visit to Columbus, the QB situation does have me a little nervous. 

Also, I'd be lying if I didn't admit to some star-gazing disappointment with the way DL recruiting has been going.  Early in the process, a DL of 5 stars seemed like a real possibility with offers to people like Terry Beckner, Jashon Cornell, Tim Settle, and Shy Tuttle supposedly being met with high interest in the Buckeyes.   PSU commit Adam McLean was also supposedly McLeaning toward OSU.  Now, the Buckeyes are apparently sitting behind ND for local talent like Elijah Taylor and extending offers to new guys like Eric Whitehead. 

Ahhh, it felt good to get that off my chest.  Now go ahead and bury me in downvotes for my panic, or instead check the first sentence again where I say the Buckeyes will probably sign a top 5 class.

+2 HS
bucksk1n's picture

Considering the amount of young talent we have on the team I don't think it is surprising the DL are looking to teams where they might have a shot a playing early. Frankly I was surprised we got as many good D-Linemen last year.  Even if we don't rebound this season on the DL, we will be fine with a down year.

Danify's picture

Ah the daily "everything is going to be alright" post. These forums are experiencing the 5 stages of grief. I believe we are at Stage 3 - Bargaining

+4 HS
RoyWalley's picture

State Penn is recruting regionally, like meechigan.  They are not getting national talent.  Relax everyone, Urban and his staff will get the best players. 

+2 HS
allinosu's picture

I say top 15 but that said, I don't put as much stock in star ratings as most. I think our coaches will get what fits us the best. Like I said on the other 40 posts, we have had a lot of very very good 3 star players pass through our doors. Michigan St gets what fits their system and it works well for them.

Colerain 2004 G.O.A.T.'s picture

While I agree we are in good shape for quite a few of those guys mentioned, some guy named SoapDropper thinks we land none of them, and frankly that's all that matters right now.

I speak the truth but I guess that's a foreign language to yall.~~Lil Wayne

+4 HS
Hovenaut's picture

I am not very smart, but I recognize that I am not very smart.

+1 HS
nebraskafaninwi's picture

As an outsider, your current class leads people to raising their eye brow and wonder why not more people committed, but we, as outsiders, know OSU will land studs as the recruiting cycle for 2015 continues to move forward.....it's just surprising not to see more commits. For those who follow recruiting they will mostly know why, but not many people actually know the details. 

You guys will be fine. Just need to land a QB that can get the job done. That is the position you can't afford to miss on. Otherwise you end up being like Alabama and having to take other teams graduated rejects. 

+3 HS
Colerain 2004 G.O.A.T.'s picture

I speak the truth but I guess that's a foreign language to yall.~~Lil Wayne

+5 HS
sivaDavis's picture

These threads are like those couple girls throughout the years that you would meet, all they wanted to do was hang out and be friends and all you wanted to do was maybe play around in her mouth a little bit before kicking her out; These threads are exactly like that. I want more than what you're giving me! I actually WANT commits. I don't want to just talk about them.

I realize we are going to land a damn good class but I want it to start rolling soon. With some leaders you know? And mind you I'm on the side that doesn't panic 9 months before signing day, these threads just get to me sometimes.

"I've had smarter people around me all my life, but I haven't run into one yet that can outwork me. And if they can't outwork you, then smarts aren't going to do them much good." - Woody Hayes

-2 HS
blocko330's picture

Here's the problem with all these extremely similar topics: some people have lives and some don't.  Some people may come to this site once a week or so and not notice that this same subject has been posted every 4 hours for the past week so they take it upon themselves to reassure we'll be fine.  These people, by the way, would be the individuals with lives.

Others, including myself, come to this site everyday (10x a day) and it's becoming so unoriginal and boring to read the "who we're still sitting pretty for" when none of us have a clue.  I'm hoping for one of two things: someone just commit already to the Buckeyes or everyone on here commit to never starting another thread that relates to our current recruiting woes (remember, it's MAY)!

“Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.”

- TruthTeller

+3 HS
FROMTHE18's picture

id rather we see names on the commit list rather than being a top team for players. Just seems like we have finished 2nd too many times already in this recruiting cycle

Eph97's picture

There will also be the completely unexpected commit, like Baugh, and the Urban Meyer magic will be alive and well.

-1 HS
TresselourgodUrbanoursavior's picture

Josh Sweat? Pleeeeasssseee

+2 HS
blocko330's picture

It also doesn't help that we have some real stellar players already on our roster (most of which are young guys).  I would have to think a lot of these kids take that into consideration (current depth chart/availability to play early).  Most would turn to Alabama recruiting to negate this thought but the difference is Alabama is sending more players to the draft year in year out so the turnaround there is a lot shorter.

Out of the list above who do you realistically see fighting for playing time first year (assuming of course they become buckeyes)?  I can't possibly see TG starting.  Maybe Hilliard?  We'll still be solid at RB so D. Harris is no guarantee to even be the backup.  And these are our "Top 3" targets.  In the end, our lowest-rated commit would probably be able to compete for PT at Penn State next year.  This is Ohio State damnit!  We attract the best of the best, kids that WANT to compete.  All these kids interested in us but not committing tells me one thing:  they don't want to compete with our current roster for playing time - they'd rather play a lot at a Tier II school.

“Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.”

- TruthTeller

-3 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+3 HS
Braxton2Devin's picture

I just don't see us getting OSU. I really feel like he's using the OSU fanbase for the followers

+1 HS
niblick's picture

Let me help you with your list of reasons we will be just fine...

1. Urban F. Meyer is still our head coach, and the F doesn't stand for Frank

2. See #1

end of list, period

-1 HS