Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State football and basketball recruiting.

PSU Recruiting

nebraskafaninwi's picture
May 3, 2014 at 10:12am
17 Comments

So far they are doing a good job of regaining control of their region. When they were a national power they dominated their region of the country and annual got several of the top high school players in their state and their region. Seeing them doing that right now can help the conference down the road.

Ahh Saturday's picture

A Nebraska fan from Wisconsin commenting on an Ohio State board about the imagined future success of Pennsylvania State? Yep, it's the off-season.

+14 HS
nebraskafaninwi's picture

I have been posting around this neck of the woods for a couple of years now. I always bring an outsiders perspective. Nothing wrong with that. Heck, I can give you the chances of OSU landing the 2016 stud OT out of Arrowhead High School in WI if you want to know that info. lol. 

I see so many OSU fans worried about the state of recruiting and I just want to tell them to shut the f' up....OSU will land studs and finish with a strong class. Just not a class filled with the first wants. 

+11 HS
Ahh Saturday's picture

Happy to have you here Ponyboy.

-2 HS
buckguyfan1's picture

So what's your take on Fickell?

buckeyedexter's picture

To see how he's recruiting so well, one might want to take a look at the last school he recruiting for.  From the Vanderbilt rape case filing:

"Coach Franklin called her in for a private meeting and told her he wanted her to get 15 pretty girls together and form a team to assist with the recruiting even though he knew it was against the rules. He added that all the other colleges did it."

+2 HS
sharks's picture

They're a sexy choice now- new charismatic coach, etc.  It is no different than when Urban took over; if they win, they'll continue to recruit well (as Ohio State does).  This is a nice bump for them, but sustainability is tbd.

I'm actually surprised that MSU hasn't taken advantage of their recent success- it seems like State Penn is the only B1G squad signing anyone at all lately.

The postgame show is brought to you by... Christ, I can't find it. The hell with it...

CincyBuckeye31's picture

Last year scUM was the sexy choice early and we all know how that worked out.  

Hovenaut's picture

Recruiting is one thing, results on the field are ano....

Wait...what's this recruiting you all speak of?

"Success...it's what you do with what you got" - Woody Hayes

+2 HS
AngryWoody's picture

Let's face it, Penn State is a good school with a huge fan base and a lot of history, and on top of all of that their depth-chart is the closest thing to non-existent that a big school like that will ever see. When you add in a new coach and a lot of buzz surrounding the program it's gonna equal some good recruiting classes. I like that he's grabbing the local guys, but if you want to have a top 10 class every year when you're based out of the midwest you have to recruit nationally. If you don't you're just diluting the talent pool and bringing the conference down as a whole. I know Franklin has some guys from other regions (how many I don't know exactly), but if you want what he's doing to be a long term recipe for success for the B1G as a whole he's gotta bring in as many guys from the outside while keeping his guys at home. If he and Urban can do that we will be looking at some seriously good teams.

Our Honor Defend!

+3 HS
otrain2416's picture

Penn States doing well, so is Nebraska. I like it its definitely good for the conference.

Montana silver bullet's picture

ttun get's their poop in a group and the B1G East is going to be a grind much like the SEC West in a few years-

Montana Silver Bullet

+1 HS
bleedscarlet's picture

It's a perfect storm for them in recruiting... sanctions being reduced, scholarship reductions easing, new coach, and B1G expansion (resulting in BTN's expansion) into NY and DC.

I'm too drunk to taste this chicken

+2 HS
jaxbuckeye's picture

The way I look at it, tOSU is still going to get elite talent. Yeah we may lose a first choice to state penn, but we'll find a replacement that's essentially equal. When PSU, Nebraska, and Mich St recruit well, it's Michigan they are hurting the most.  THAT is a good thing. Those rising and Michigan falling leaves one elite school. 

+1 HS
Eph97's picture

Running a not-so secret brothel will get recruits pretty quick; seems like JF brought that practice over to PSU.

+1 HS
BroJim's picture

All this talk about Penn State and their recruiting class, what rot!! The best class in Pennsylvania will be at the University of Pennsylvania! Go Quakers!!!!

I season my simple food with hunger

LouGroza's picture

Just remember when ttun was pulling in four star recruits left and right, all the while claiming the national title in April? We compared ttun getting Taco Charleton but OSU went after and got Joey Bosa? How did that turn out? The same thing is happening with PSU. All the clamoring about OSU with only two recruits right now will turn into the OSU class having that same player disparity in the end.  And all the hoopla will subside when PSU goes 4-8 because their roster is depleted. The only way they do well is if their freshmen are all superstars, and that isn't happening. PSU is getting some good players but they have sooo far to go to get back to glory.