Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Devin Smith and the Barrett effect.

0 HS
RunEddieRun1983's picture
August 22, 2014 at 9:59pm
23 Comments

I think a lot of people have looked at Devin Smith and realized that while he may not be a totally "complete package" as a wide receiver, he has one trait that makes him very valuable to a football team, and that is the "home run" aspect of playing the position.  Smith can take a streak route to the house at any given time as evidenced in multiple occasions during his career at Ohio State.

My question is, how does having Barrett at QB effect him this season?  I think it's pretty obvious that Barrett's game is going to suit guys like Dontre Wilson, Jalin Marshall, Johnnie Dixon, Ezekial Elliott, Jeff Heuerman, Nick Vannett, and a lot of the other young playmakers who we are waiting to emerge (Corey Smith, Noah Brown, etc).  He can get the ball to those guys  in short yardage plays, in space, and they can make moves and get into the endzone without needing Barrett to be able to fire it 60 yards down the field to stretch the back end of the defense.

From what I've seen, Devin Smith isn't that shifty, juke, side, step and take off like he was shot out of a rocket, type of WR.  We have a lot of those guys on this team, but I haven't seen that from Smith thus far.  On top of that, he is listed as a starter, so my question again, is what type of effect does having Barrett at QB pose to Smith?  He totally disappeared in some games last year, but will we get to a point where we forget he's even there because his skill set seems not to favor what our new starting QB does??

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 23 Comments