Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Rank games from toughest to easiest

NashBuckeye's picture
August 15, 2014 at 11:49pm
28 Comments

Thought it would be fun to try to rank the 12 regular season games on OSU's schedule this year from toughest to easiest.  @MSU is the easy choice for me to be the toughest game, but I really had a tough time deciding which game worried me the most after MSU.  I gave consideration to scUM, @Minnesota, @PSU, and even @Maryland.  Here is my order from 1 to 12. I am interested in others thoughts on at least their top 5:

1. @MSU

2. @MINN (partly because it is right after MSU)

3. ScUM

4. @PSU

5. @Maryland

6. Va. Tech

7. Cincy

8. Indiana

9. @Navy

10. Rutgers

11. Illinois

12. Kent State

Seattle Linga's picture

Nice idea Nash but IMO I think you have Navy too low. I would have them above Cincy

+1 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

1.)At MSU

2.)*ichigan

3.)B1G title game

4-13.) Steam rolling kids

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

NashBuckeye's picture

For me, It came down to scUM or @Minnesota for the 2nd toughest game, but the MINN game seems like a possible letdown after our big PrimeTime beat down of Sparty 27-13. NO GREEN!, NO WHITE!, NOT TONIGHT!

whiskeyjuice's picture

I just bought tickets to go see OSU at Minnesota. I will do my part and go hoarse rootin' for our Buckeyes. One of the things I like to do in enemy territory is to get drunk and walk up and down their streets screaming OSU, while wearing scarlet n gray from head to toe.

"Championships are not won on Saturdays in November. Championships are won on Tuesdays in August." -- Kerry Combs

OSU069's picture

That sounds fun. Way to represent!

-1 HS
whiskeyjuice's picture

I said screaming OSU but I meant starting O-H-I-O chants.

"Championships are not won on Saturdays in November. Championships are won on Tuesdays in August." -- Kerry Combs

+1 HS
Silver Bullet 10's picture

1. Michigan

2. Michigan State

3. Minnesota

4. Penn State

5. Virginia Tech

Rob Reese's picture
  • MSU
  • PSU (their QB with one year under his belt now, vs our secondary frightens me)
  • Cincy (underrated) 
  • Virginia Tech
  • UofM (fuck 'em, they're lucky I didn't rank 'em lower)
  • Minnesota
  • Navy

"All I have known at Michigan is failure.  That's all I know." - Taylor Lewan

+1 HS
TMac's picture

1. @MSU - The Rematch

2. tTUN - The Game

3. @ MINN - Timing, Timing & its away

4. @PSU - It's PSU's biggest game

5. Cincy - it's arguably UC's biggest game

6. @Navy - I'd be more worried if not for our D-Line

7. VaTech - Beamerball isn't what it used to be

8. @Maryland - they have Diggs and.....I've got nothin

9. Indiana - These last 4 are all interchangeable 30+ point beatdowns in The Shoe

10. Rutgers

11. Illinois

12. Kent State

+7 HS
JohnnyKozmo's picture

Nailed it.   People sleep on Navy.  We've seen this show before.  The only good thing is the it's week 1, and they have had all spring and summer to prepare for the triple option.

whiskeyjuice's picture

I don't think the coaches had the players preparing for Navy all spring and summer. I think the coaches train the players through various drills and exercises. They also go over plays and defensive schemes. The team will begin to prepare for Navy soon in the near future.

JohnnyKozmo's picture

My point is, it's not a situation where you face a spread team and week 1 and option in week 2.  I know they aren't spending every day practicing against the option, but they have time to properly prepare for it.  I would imagine they have already done some drills, especially on the d-line, to prepare for the cut blocking that they will see.

-1 HS
whiskeyjuice's picture

The coaches and D line players have been talking like the front 4 will bull rush quite a bit to attack the backfield. It will interesting to see if they try that against Navy for majority of the game or more of a maintaining scheme where they extend/force the option out to the sidelines or direct it back towards the middle of the D. Either way, The Navy game should be a good indicator of the linebacker play this year against the rush.

Hoody Wayes's picture

TMAC:

A reasonable ranking.

Saved me the effort.

+1.

Geraffi's picture

I think you got it right. 

The Butler's picture

That's right on TMAC

I've trained Canaries in the sport of falconry.

Hovenaut's picture

Sparty will be tough...I expect that to go 15 rounds.

It may not be as close, but I'll still be as nervous when Hoke and company come to Columbus.
Minny, Cincy, Navy, PSU...I'd like to see OSU come out swinging early. I think hitting the Bearcats or the Nits hard early could set an insurmountable tone, while getting up on Navy and Minnesota puts both at the disadvantage of having to play from behind.

The VT game could be close early...I think the offensive line has to step up for that one.
Maryland could be a scarier version of 2012 Indiana...but I feel good about our pass rush and defense.

+2 HS
TheBigCat's picture

Is it me, or is anyone else disappointed that our 2nd toughest game of the season may be @Minnesota?  I get that the Fighting Kills are much improved, and @Minnesota is a tough environment that time of year, but to me it just demonstrates how weak the B1G is right now, and how important it is for us to schedule quality OOC opponents.  I get VT, and when we originally scheduled them their program was a much better place, but we need more than one marquee OOC game on our schedule.

Hoody Wayes's picture

It's just you. You're discounting scUM. Never do that.

-2 HS
TheBigCat's picture

I actually didn't provide a ranking myself, so not sure how you're taking that away from my post.  A lot of posters in this thread have Minnesota ranked 2nd/3rd in their opinions, which I don't think is unreasonable.  To me, the fact that the Minnesota game MAY be one of our toughest games is an indictment on how down the B1G is right now, and highlights the importance for us to schedule quality OOC opponents.

I personally don't think you can ever discount rivalry games, and think last year was a prime example of that.  Regardless, TSUN is a dumpster fire right now, and losing to them at hem at home this year would be massively disappointing.  I fully expect us to be -10 point favorites for that game.

-1 HS
whiskeyjuice's picture

But having majority of the people thinking Minnesota is the 2nd or 3rd toughest game...................doesn't that indicate that the Gophers are on the rise? At least to the point that they are deemed as a possible threat as an away game. 

I thought that a lot of people here have been wanting to see other B1G teams to start performing better. So now that people think Minnesota is performing better, that means the B1G is down? IMO, the B1G will perform better in their non conference games this year. 

TheBigCat's picture

Yes, teams in the conference need to step up, but Minnesota is not one of them.  They will never be a flagship program in this conference.  They are no different than Northwestern, a solid season once every four years, nothing more.

Yes, this conference needs teams to step up to return to prominence, but Minnesota is not one of them.  

Nebraska, Penn State, tSUN, Wisconsin, and even Iowa to an extent are the programs that need to step up.  We need our flagship programs to perform for this conference to return to prominence, and begin to get national respect back.  

If we are going to start hanging our hat on wins against Minnesota, then this conference is not performing up to standards. 

+1 HS
whiskeyjuice's picture

I agree 100% with what you are saying. I just want to add that if a Minnesota, Northwestern, Indiana or Illinois have a dream season and can win their bowl game, I'm all for it.

UrbzRenewal's picture

1.) TTUN (because anything can happen)

2.) MSU (don't think the defense will be as formidable as last year; still think Connor Cook isn't that good and our D made him look that way).

3.) Cincy (sleepwalking game potential)

4.) Virginia Tech (in the "everybody panic" case in which our secondary hasn't improved)

5.) Maryland (same as VaTech, I could see Diggs/Long burning us)

6.) Indiana (same as VaTech)

7.) Minnesota 

8.) Navy (I think we'll be ready to roll)

9.) Rutgers

10.) Illinois (because they have more scholarships than PSU)

11.) Penn State (looking at skill/depth in any position besides QB)

12.) Kent State

-1 HS
TheVictoryBell45's picture

The tun game is always the toughest game of the year. At Michigan State is second. Our non conference schedule is much more challenging than it has been the past two seasons. At Penn State is a tough test. Maryland could be tricky because of how fired up the Terps will be for their Big Ten home opener. At Minnesota is the typical trap game. 

+1 HS
BrutusBuckey3's picture

The rational part of me is concerned about going to sparty. We've all seen what they can do to us. Plus, playing on the road at night will be epic. But on the other hand, is there really any way Urb and Brax and the boys don't crush MSU? Redemption in prime time, fellas. 

42-10 Ohio State over Little Brother. 

bucks15's picture

1. @MSU- For obvious reasons.

2. TSUN- This game scares me every year, and for good reason.  We were supposed to roll through them last year, to serve as an example.

3. @PSU- A more seasoned Hackenberg, night game in Happy Valley, have a lot too prove, their biggest game.

4. Navy- A rusty Braxton Miller and a a tough offense to prepare for.  

5. Cincinnati- An underrated talented team going up against the "Big Brother" of the state.  Big game for them.

6. Virginia Tech- Glad this is a night game at the Shoe, we will be amped for this one.  Still a respected program to worry about.

7. @Minnesota- If people keep talking about it as a trap game, eventually it won't be a trap game.  We'll be ready.

8.  @Maryland- Diggs going up against a Secondary we still haven't seen improve despite the reports.

9.  Indiana- Have some weapons, but if we have to punt even once i'll be disappointed.  Only kinda kidding.

10.  Rutgers- Gonna welcome them to the league in a very big way.

11.  Illinois- Not playing or recruiting like they should be in the league.

12.  Kent State- Will be over by the time they get off the bus.  

+1 HS
airbuckeye's picture

MSU= Night game up there

Vir Tech= Should be a good game it will either be close for 1st half. But the Bucks should start to pull away in the third. If not and Tech is still close going into the forth ill start to worrie,

Minny= only because it is the week after MSU and depends on how nicked and banged up we are. But we should walk away in that game.

Navy= Only because of all the cut blocking and we had a hard time with that the last time.

PSU= If the Secondary is the same then we have a problem. If the secondary is playing better we should win by 20+

TTUN= And i think im still rating them to high and from everything im hearing their still a mess on the OL

Cinny= That will be a pain in the ass for about a quarter and a half before they start to fad away.

Indy=And im only putting them here because of last years game and i have no idea who they lost from last year.

Maryland and Rutgers= Toss up don't know anything about either team not enough to judge either one.

Ill= Always seems to be a basement dweller.

Kent= Hell spot em 10 or even 21 and game is still over before it starts.