Bored at work today. I put together a list of things I want to see this season. I avoided broad topics such as 'improved pass defense', 'linebackers coming into their own' or 'avoiding injury'. Instead, I looked at individual items that will excite me or signal we have a championship caliber team.
10. Development of a solid possession WR. With Philly gone, who will be Mr. Reliable for those 6-10 yd routes. I am hoping for Mike Thomas. We need more than one. No reason this couldnt be Heuerman.
9. A kick or a punt return for a touchdown from a young Buckeye. Time to see what this speed can do. I do not believe we had one last seaon, although Dontre had a couple long returns.
8. James Clark. I want to see what this kid can do - kicks, punts, catches in space, sweeps, etc. Lets not forget he was getting PT before his ankle injury last season.
7. Curtis Samual and Zeke Elliot hitting the perimeter on pitches, sweeps and screen passes. These guys should be great in space. Hyde and the Oline created space last season by ramming through it. This year, we need to combine inside with out.
6. The debut of Raekwon McMillan. Nothing to add here.
5. Dontre Wilson breaking ankles. We saw it 4 or 5 times last season. That step, plant and burst that so few players have the ability to do.
4. Eli Apple and Gareon Conley breaking up passes. These guys are long, athletic and can make plays on the ball.
3. Joey Bosa - beast mode against call comers.
2. Braxton Miller making reads and being an efficient ball distributor. Too many weapons not to spread the ball around. He needs to let his teammates make him look good.
1. Jalin Marshall. With his speed, ability to break a tackle and added size I am super excited to see what this kid can do.
Bonus: * Urban handing out a scholarship to a walk-on player. * A monster mid-field tackle from our Aussie punter. * Jeff Greene outstretched catching a TD over a smaller defender. * Vonn Bell patroling the back-end of the secondary. * Not playing down to our competition. * Luke Fickell mastering the post-game interview. * Tyquan Lewis being a super sub Spence and Bosa. * Chris Ash mocking Bert after the Buckeye D improves.