Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Heisman 2014 and why USA Today are idiots

Tampabuckeye85's picture
June 28, 2014 at 1:50am
58 Comments

Check this out http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2014/06/25/heisman-candidates...

Sorry if you can't select the link directly, I'm on my phone. I read this earlier today and it's pissing me off more and more. The idiot that wrote this article should be shot because he is ignorant. He did the top 10 list for heisman contenders of 2014 and guess who is not on there? That's right Braxton. He had enough nerve to put Nick Marshall on there, the QB from Marshall on there and says that navy's qb is the most prolific running qb ever. What really blows my mind is number 10. How in the hell do you pick Alabama's qb who has never taken a snap for them in this list and leave Miller off? I do not see how some of these people get published.

Sabaneatspuppies's picture

I think that shooting ignorant people is still a crime, because if it wasn't, Michigan wouldn't have a fan base

"My idea of a good hit is when the guy wakes up on the sidelines with train whistles blowing in his head"

+34 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

There also would not be an SEC...excepting Vanderbilt.

"I can accept failure, but I cannot accept not trying." - W.W. Hayes

Tampabuckeye85's picture

That is very true! Then we would have no one to make fun of because they suck.

+1 HS
Norwalk's picture

So you are advocating for shooting people who are stupid and people who suck?

MichaelJ721984's picture

If he's not, I am lol

+10 HS
OSU_Football_is_Life's picture

Not what I expected based on the title

A win over TTUN is one of the most important annual milestones I can think of!

+2 HS
AngryWoody's picture

Probably going to get downvoted to hell for saying this but I don't think Miller can win the Heisman. I just don't think he's good enough in the passing game.

Our Honor Defend!

+9 HS
funtubs's picture

He probably won't, but he's definitely more likely to win the Heisman than Marshall, Cato, Reynolds, or Coker

+12 HS
chirobuck's picture

I actually agree with you, Miller is a great athlete but your right, not a good enough passer to be a Heisman winner.....however he is def a better candidate than half the guys they listed

^ best post ever ^

+1 HS
Furious George 27's picture

62% passing is good enough because his game is not just passing.... He just cannot miss any games to have a chance. You throw in the #'s he could have had against SDSU, Cal and FAMU he has the yards and TDs to be in the running. Overall though it's a PR campaign and whoever gets the most hype wins it.

Yeah, well…that’s just like, your opinion, man.

+3 HS
Chief B1G Dump's picture

The good news for Braxton and Buckeye fans is that he has his entire senior season in an explosive offense against mostly crap defenses to make his run at a Heisman. 

Preseason opinions are like a-holes...you just gotta find the right one. 

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Spot on DUMP - the offense will be electric

+1 HS
saltybuck61's picture

I actually said the same thing about Troy Smith after his junior year. Although unlikely, if Braxton Miller can make a similar improvement, a Heisman would almost be expected.

+1 HS
Norwalk's picture

Therefore...we should shoot him!

+1 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

Eric Crouch, I repeat Eric Crouch, won the Heisman and he was a JOKE as a passer.

hit_the_couch's picture

Probably going to get downvoted to hell for saying this but I don't think Miller can win the Heisman. I just don't think he's good enough in the passing game.

Tebow won it with a shit arm.

I don't think Miller can win it because he can't stay healthy.

And then I told her...i'm no weatherman, but tonight's forecast is calling for several inches!

AngryWoody's picture

You guys make some good points. It's possible he could win, but I just don't see it happening.

Our Honor Defend!

MeyerMattaScarletHeroes's picture

I think Zeke Elliot is a darkhorse Heisman candidate, (given OSU makes it to the Final 4 Playoff at least)

+4 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

Visited my sister at UT last year for the Auburn game, Nick Marshall had like 200+ yards rushing and was a total stud.

Listen, people who don't obsess over Ohio State aren't terrible people if they don't think that Ohio State is the greatest football program ever. If we were, we'd have more recent national titles.

Obviously we're all Buckeye fans here, and obviously Braxton is a great player. But if you're getting upset about a pre-season Heisman list published by a paper you probably don't even read IN JUNE, you should probably just calm down.

Even if the writer is completely, unequivocally, 100% wrong... what does it even matter? Writers have been wrong before. Yet people still write. And that's a good thing. I know a lot of people outside of Ohio who would laugh if I told them OSU was a national title contender. We all have our homerisms.

I'm honestly not sure what's dumber, expecting every single article to agree with your Buckeye-centric view of college football, or getting mad when a column about the Heisman IN JUNE has one glaring omission.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+16 HS
livinthedream's picture

Point taken BadOwl, but when you write for a major media outlet (USA, FOX, ESPN etc.) you're expected to write factual, well researched and well reasoned articles.    Problem is too many writers these days get to write opinion pieces as journalism when they're clearly not, and editors don't control the content.

jamesrbrown322's picture

I wonder where Winston, Williams, Lynch, and Mason were ranked in the preseason last year...

brandonbauer87's picture

Yep. Somehow leaving Braxton off this list is more egregious than shooting the person that wrote the article. 

+4 HS
osu07asu10's picture

Of course it is...the person IS ignorant...

"They don't know what they don't know." - Coach Mick

southernstatesbuckeye's picture

i kind of like the fact that braxton is dissed in the article. i hope the entire football team is disparaged and mocked all year long. it will be so much sweeter when our 2014 Heisman winner raises a crystal football above his head in January of 2015.

Screw you, USA Today, and the rest of the college football world, and especially ESPN and its Siamese twin, the SEC...can eat my defecated grits.

+4 HS
buckeyedude's picture

i kind of like the fact that braxton is dissed in the article. i hope the entire football team is disparaged and mocked all year long.

I agree with this, Southeastern. It helps promote the "angry football team" that UFM is trying to promote.

Poison nuts's picture

I also agree SSB - motivation is good. Just ask the MSU team from last year. Not a lot of people thought they'd beat OSU or Stanford & they did. I'd attribute some of that to being motivated by the press. An underdog is a good thing like OSU in 2003 & UF in 2007...

Plus as Badowl said, who cares?

"Death created time to grow the things that it would kill" - Detective Rustin Cohle.

chicagobuckeye's picture

To the people who said in here that they don't think he can win a heisman.  That may be, but to say he's not in the top 10 in the initial race when he finished 5th(?) last year is what's confusing. Not that he will win it, or should win it, but he's definitely a top 10 contender

+2 HS
Hovenaut's picture

If Braxton stays healthy, and Ohio State wins most (or all) of their regular season games, he will be in the running - no pun intended.

Miller should have at the very least been mentioned in the write-up. Forgetting the fact that I am a total homer, he's a playmaker at QB at a one of college football's traditional powers that should have a fairly successful season.

"Success...it's what you do with what you got" - Woody Hayes

+5 HS
Canukbuck's picture

Braxton is certainly worthy of Heisman discussion, but at this point, I'm not convinced he's in the top 5.  To be a legitimate candidate, he'll need to vastly improve in two major areas - his passing skills and making the right reads move consistently on read/option runs.  Also, without the team winning at least the BIG championship, or (it would be nice) the NC, it'll be tough for him to crack into the Heisman club.

Hopefully, Navy's QB will be out of contention after his first game of the season (otherwise, we'll be opening 0 - 1) ....  Love Braxton and what he's brought to the Buckeyes, but still not convinced that he's got all the tools to carry home the statue - truly hope he proves me wrong .....

+2 HS
sharks's picture

If it wasn't for the free newspaper you get in the morning at some hotels, would USA Today even be in business anymore?

Also, if BM doesn't make a tremendous leap forward as a passer, he's not in the Heisman race at the end.

The postgame show is brought to you by... Christ, I can't find it. The hell with it...

+5 HS
buckeyedude's picture

What's a "newspaper?"

+4 HS
ChazBuckeye's picture

It's a preseason projection article, albeit a poorly written one, it's still preseaon. I wouldn't worry. If Braxton stays healthy, then he'll be in the running. I have strong doubts that he will win it unless he learns how to use his progressions on every pass play and look to run as a LAST option. He does those things effectivly, then I have good feeling he will be in NY mid December.

Some people think we’re the hunted.I don’t feel that way at all.We’re the hunter.Everybody wants an angry football team.Everybody wants a team on edge and a hungry team.If you’re a hunter,that usually equates to being hungry.

VintonCountyBuck's picture

C'mon guys, July is ratings sweeps month for the big media outlets.  

The best way to get the most traffic onto your college football website, is to piss of its largest fan base.  

I wouldn't make too much of this.  No self-respecting fan in their right mind would leave the best player for THE Ohio State University off their Heisman list, unless it was intentional to drive up site traffic.

“Right now, Michigan is not at the pinnacle of college football, and that’s all Urban Meyer cares about...He’s been there and knows what it takes to get there.” 

+3 HS
SilverBullet-98's picture

I wish I could upvote this a 1,000 times

"The Past Builds the Future"

+1 HS
SWAGGERNAUTICAL's picture

I'd rather him be a dark horse anyway

Grayskullsession's picture

Click bait, and you fell for it.

"if irony were made of strawberries, we' d all be drinking a lot of smoothies right now."

+2 HS
buckeyedude's picture

I think as Furious George mentioned above, the most important thing for Braxton to have a shot at the Heisman is to STAY HEALTHY. He cannot miss one game or he won't have a chance. I think his passing was good enough. And he if improves his passing ability, it can only improve his chances.

Still, I'd rather see OSU win a NC.

Tampabuckeye85's picture

Sorry stupidity and ignorance are my two hardest things to deal with and I'm guilty as well. (I have on occasion asked people to shoot me) As far as being click bait or driving traffic, that is not accurate. It is not like the title of the article suggested they were leaving him off so I read it. As I mentioned earlier I am a homer but I have a character defect that off sets it unfortunately and its called stats and logic. People say he is not NFL ready or can't win but let me assume here for a moment. Given how great the sweet jazz of Kenny G is, I feel it is safe to assume that Braxton would have put up better numbers so my final stats would likely be higher so we will use his. If we add his stats to brax he finishes last year with 4,240 total yds with 49 TD and 63.5 comp %. Just to show what being hurt mean. Mariota finished with 4,380 total yds with 40 TD and 63.5 comp %. Jamis Winston finished with 4,276 total yds with 42 TD and 66.3 comp %. So I guess everyone is right he can't win it he's not good enough but his stats would just have happend to be on par with the two best qb's last year with more td's then both.

tennbuckeye19's picture

I didn't read the link, but here's my thoughts on winning the Heisman.

Do you know how many Heisman trophy winners Alabama has? One. Mark Ingram. And how many national titles do they claim? 15. Meanwhile OSU has 7 Heisman winners and claims 7 titles.

Having Heisman winners is awesome, and getting OSU's 8th would be great, but I think we'd all rather see Braxton lead OSU to a national title.

+3 HS
Tampabuckeye85's picture

Agrees buckeyedude would be nice to have that Crystal ball back.

allinosu's picture

Reading the defense and going through progression which leads to throwing to the open receiver will help as much as anything. Seen a lot of replays  throwing into coverage with receivers open. I also think Ash can be a little less predictable and not put him under as much pressure with obvious throwing downs. He admitted to getting in a comfort zone with running on early downs. Just saying all of it helps.

+2 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

The landscape has changed so much with our defensive side and Ash will be the biggest addition.

+2 HS
Youngbuck85's picture

Braxton won't win the heisman, and most likely, no one on that list will. When was the last time someone started the year in the top 5 for the heisman watch and ended up winning it? The player that wins is always one that has a breakout year, not a follow up year that is equally as good or slightly better. It's always a dark horse 

+1 HS
tosubuckeye's picture

Brax will win the Heisman if: 1) Buckeyes are 13-0 (going into the semi-finals); 2) passes for 3,700 yds (avg 280/game and 36 td's); and 3) rushes for 700 yds and 8 td's). I believe these Stats are reachable. GO BRAX, GO BUCKS!!!!

tosubuckeye

+1 HS
nikolajz1's picture

Has Braxton ever thrown over 250 yds in a game? Expecting him to do it every game next year is pretty crazy. 

-1 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

He had 252 yards against PSU before he was pulled in the 3rd. 233 yards against Purdue before he was pulled for the entire 2nd half.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+1 HS
Eph97's picture

It's really strange how no one is questioning the ability of the new Alabama qb. I get it that he was highly rated out of hs but to expect him to come in and take over for McCarron without missing a beat is a bit much. I expect Alabama to stumble because of him and not make the playoffs.

Tampabuckeye85's picture

It's ok cause with the 95th toughest schedule and 116th toughest ooc schedule I'm sure they will still make the playoffs lol. But no one outside of us are saying anything about that either.

Patriot4098's picture

I don't think any of our guys are in very good position for the Heisman. We like to run a lot and there's going to be too many different guys sharing the touches. Now, if we air it out a little and our WRs get yards after contact, that will benefit Miller quite a bit. That's not really the MO of this team though.

"Evil shenanigans!"     - Mac

kevdale86's picture

Why do we get so offended when everyone else in the country doesn't drink the scarlet and gray kool-aid? Just win games and everything else will take care of itself. The last Heisman winner for the Bucks didn't get a national championship. As a fan, I'd rather bag about NC's than Heisman's.

Groveport Heisman's picture

So a QB that has never been a starter or even a snap at Bama is on the list?(Bama is a RB heavy offense) But a 4th year guy under coach Urban Meyer who  is expected to be relied on heavily do to the loss of  Hyde is left off? A Marshall and Navy QB on the list make it almost laughable. I know both QB's can put up a ton a of stats but point out the last system player to win it outside of a major conference. I'd much rather make the playoff and win a game or title but to leave Braxton out of the top 10 for who they did put on there is either pure bias or poor knowledge of the game and the award itself.I'd put Hackenburg  and Devin Gardner ahead of some on this list. Also Melvin Gordon should really be watched out for the RB out of Wisky who wont be sharing carries with Ball or White this year.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

ShowThemOhiosHere's picture

I'm not saying Braxton is going to win the Heisman...but to not even have him at least in the top 10 going into the season?  I'd say just about anybody who actually knows shit about college football, even if they HATE OSU, would admit that he's at least a top 10 Heisman contender.

Class of 2010.

+1 HS
logamaniac's picture

im fine with this, we dont need to ride the hype wagon lets let the games play out and see where we stand.  less pressure on miller is still a good thing, a chip on his shoulder is an even better thing.

cajunbuckeye's picture

There's nothing like the race for the September Heisman.

An angry fan...rooting for an angry team...led by angry coaches

+4 HS
IH8UOFM's picture

Didn't Robinson win it 4 years straight?

BuckeyePride's picture

I am so ready for football. It's going to be a long summer. 

How Firm Thy Friendship....

+1 HS
hit_the_couch's picture

Miller is very injury prone and there's a possibility he misses games this year. I didn't read the article, but I don't blame him.

And then I told her...i'm no weatherman, but tonight's forecast is calling for several inches!