Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Joey Bosa on Cleveland: "Little run down, dirty hole of a city"

BassDropper's picture
June 18, 2014 at 10:33pm
164 Comments

Bosa is on quite the rant tonight about the city of Cleveland. It all started over Lebron and whether he would go back to Cleveland, Bosa doesn't seem to care that he is insulting a great deal of Buckeye fans...FYI, Im not from Cleveland and have never stepped foot in the city.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bqc_jbOIEAAV6Gw.jpg

Dustin Fox then confronted Bosa on a since deleted tweet, but has since followed with this...

osu07asu10's picture

Don't worry, Dustin Fox says it's all good so it's all good...

"They don't know what they don't know." - Coach Mick

+17 HS
JDunc686's picture

Bosa is built like a grown man but you have to remember that he is only 19-20 years old; hell, I'm in my late 20's and still say things I don't really mean when I get into an argument.

+8 HS
dubjayfootball90's picture

Amen, man. I had a recent episode that resulted in my fiance's sister not talking to me anymore (even though I was completely correct in my actions, I could have handled it better and left some things out). I feel you.

You can feed a bobcat all the chili it wants. That don't mean it's going to crap out diamonds.

+2 HS
THEOSUfan's picture

Congrats on your engagment.  As a husband of 30 years of  marital bliss (largely), I will offer you this advice in the form of a principle: you can be right or happy.  Your choice.  (applies particularly to wives, but also to sis in laws, and ladies in general)

HeuermanTheFireman's picture

He is only 18, which scares me.

The person responsible for toes clearly wanted you to stub them.

sharks's picture

What we do, all day err day:

This will be a good lesson in athlete etiquette.

1. Give canned answers

2. Don't knock the best city in the state, if not the country

3. Never defend LeBron.  Just don't talk about him at all.

The postgame show is brought to you by... Christ, I can't find it. The hell with it...

-3 HS
osu07asu10's picture

Apparently Joey didn't do so well in geography...

+15 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

2. Don't knock the best city in the state,

He never mentioned Columbus.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+24 HS
Poison nuts's picture

BVW - Winner! 

"Death created time to grow the things that it would kill" - Detective Rustin Cohle.

ShowThemOhiosHere's picture

I'll have to agree with that one.  Columbus rules.  Mansfield is a close 2nd.  HAHAHAHAHA ok just kidding about Mansfield...and I'm from there so don't get too hot at me.

Class of 2010.

+1 HS
FloridaBuck's picture

Has he even been to Cleveland?

+2 HS
jBarnes's picture

2. Don't knock the best city in the state, if not the country

3. Never defend LeBron.  Just don't talk about him at all.

Really?  It appears that you have a case of "agree with me or be wrong" syndrome.  You may want to look closer to home before you feel entitled to give etiquette advice.

“I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.”  ― Douglas Adams

+3 HS
BassDropper's picture

2 things:

1.) This can't set well with his 22 Cleveland teammates and head coach who is from the Cleveland area, especially with his conceded "Florida is better than Cleveland" attitude. Its fine to show pride in where you are from, but the way he is going about it is totally disrespectful.

2.) He better hope he isn't drafted by Cleveland or this will never escape him, and since my Browns are a mainstay picking in the top 10 its not a stretch.

DIRECTIONER

-1 HS
cinserious's picture

Got a new avatar lined up for you Bass:

b

Life's daily struggle is choosing between saying F--ck-it, or soldiering on with your responsibilities.  

+12 HS
BassDropper's picture

I would totally use this if the "Bass" in my name was for a fish and not music.

DIRECTIONER

+1 HS
cinserious's picture

A man can only hope!

Life's daily struggle is choosing between saying F--ck-it, or soldiering on with your responsibilities.  

chitown buckeye's picture

That means the Browns would have to draft a Buckeye...

"I'm having a heart attack!"

+1 HS
TraSmith4's picture

As someone who has dealt with "Clevelanders" most of my life in the business world and as someone who also used to live in Southern Florida all I can say is... well nothing.... why... because I've done what Joey did..... aaaaand I learned my lesson.... really bad idea.... never ever ends well!!!! Nope!

+2 HS
703Buckeye's picture

Meh, just another person making uninformed decisions about my hometown. The only thing Miami has on Cleveland is warm winters.

"Attack the Strong, Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead!"
-Former OSU S&C Coach Lichter

+5 HS
Deadly Nuts's picture

They also have Lebron.... for now.

LEBRON

+2 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

...And beaches, and incredible nightlife, and fast cars, and insanely hot women, and a lot of awesome culture...

Not that I could ever live there, but Miami is one of the coolest cities in the country. I love my Cleveland friends, but hey, Bosa's probably never even been to Cleveland, the media makes fun of Cleveland a lot. Hell, Clevelanders even made the "Hastily made Cleveland tourism videos" that everyone's seen that are hilariously self-depreciating.

Bosa is just echoing something that he's probably heard a billion times, and who can blame him, it's not like he's ever been to Cleveland.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+6 HS
GuGo61's picture

Miami around South Beach and the tourist areas are awesome.  Get away from that, and you have a metro area that has one of the highest crime rates and one of lowest per capita incomes in the country.  Plus traffic is hell.  If you have money or are a tourist, S. Florida is a great place to be.  I've lived in NE Ohio and S. Florida, and except for the snow, think NE Ohio is a more livable area.  

+7 HS
Citrus's picture

I lived in Miami for a decade. There is one part of the city that is bad. Otherwise the city is very safe and a nice place to live. I lived in an area that was so safe that sometimes I didn't lock my doors. 

I am betting you didn't live in Miami. It is common for Broward county folks to lament how terrible Miami is when in reality Broward is far more crime ridden. 

+2 HS
Citrus's picture

My girlfriend is a doc at Cleveland Clinic. I spend about 4 days a week there. I love Cleveland. Its an interesting city full of interesting places and character. I love the restaurants there. Cleveland has a certain cool that is sorta like Brooklyn but with a bunch of polish folks and a self deprecating sense of humor. It has many things going for it. But it is about 1000% more dangerous than Miami. 

-4 HS
Citrus's picture

Wow tough crowd. Cleveland is more dangerous. Look at the statistics.

+1 HS
cinserious's picture

@ Citrus, I respect your opinion but I'm sure Sean Taylor (RIP) lived in one of the nicest areas of Miami and he got robbed and killed in his own home. I wouldn't be cool with leaving my front door unlocked there or anywhere else for that matter. If I remember correctly he slept with a gun or knife under his pillow when he slept.

Citrus's picture

That was a different situation. He threw a birthday party for his sister in which the party-goers witnessed he hard a purse with 100s of thousands of dollars. One of his sister's out-of-town friends took note of the cash. He got together some other kids, all of these kids were from Florida's other coast. None of them lived in Miami, they were all from Ft. Meyers. They drove 3 hours to target Taylor because they thought he was playing against Tampa Bay. He was home with a knee injury. They shot him. So, not only is the Sean Taylor story anecdotal, it doesn't say much about Miami crime. This would be like if 4 kids drove from Cinci to Cleveland to target someone, that would say nothing about Cleveland. We can gleam that Taylor felt comfortable keeping large amounts of cash in his house.

There are a few pockets of Miami that are trouble: liberty city, Allapatthah, and part of coconut grove. Otherwise, its really safe. Violent crime in Miami is localized. Nearly all of the murders come from those few places.

The FBI statistics show that the violent crime rate in Cleveland is higher than the violent crime rate in Miami. I say this not to disparage Cleveland, but rather to combat the notion that outside of South Beach (which actually has more crime than most of Miami) that Miami is some sort of dangerous place. It simply isn't true.

MichiganBuckeye222's picture

Meh, just another person making uninformed decisions about my hometown. The only thing Miami has on Cleveland is warm winters.

and

1. Hot chicks on the beach
  2. more hot chicks on the beach
  3. even more hot chicks on the beach
  4. old people

Representing the Buckeyes in the Mitten State since 1987.

www.septemberheisman.com

+2 HS
My2Sons's picture

Are you people nuts?  Have any of you even been outside Cuyahoga County ?  It s**ks up here.  Businesses tripping over each other trying to get out,  the attitude of the majority of the people is worse that what the city looks like to outsides, and their pro (lol) sports teams  are now and will always be garbage.  Most of you wouldn't know Jim Brown if you passed him on the sidewalk, and yet you live what the Browns were in the early 60's.  How about Sipe's intercept against the Raiders, the Browns being Elway's b*t*h, the Indians quitting against the Marlins, James & Cavs quitting against the Celtics,  and on and on.  I'd say Get a Life, but there is not one to get in Cleveland.  A 1st round pick on Manziel?  Too funny !

-4 HS
sox33osu's picture

It's upsetting you're an Ohio State fan. It embarrasses the entire fanbase sharing an interest with someone like you.

If you really think Cleveland sucks so bad, that's your opinion, but does it make you somehow feel better to sit there and rip the city that many Buckeyes on here love? Yeah, Cleveland has had it's share of tough times, but so has every city in some capacity. There's a ton to love about Cleveland and NE Ohio in general. I'm sorry you aren't able to figure it out.

+1 HS
ShoeHolder's picture

To be fair, Bosa isn't wrong. 

"Hippies. They're everywhere. They wanna save the Earth, but all they do is smoke pot and smell bad."

+5 HS
703Buckeye's picture

Care to elaborate, ShoeHolder?

JDunc686's picture

Don't do it Shoe! It's a trap!

+9 HS
Deadly Nuts's picture

I know i'm going to get dv'ed into oblivion but just take a look at the city, it's an absolute shithole. However, the condition of the city shouldn't generalize the population, that is where I have a problem with Bosa's remarks.

LEBRON

+9 HS
703Buckeye's picture

Yeah, Cleveland has its bad parts but it is by no means a "shithole." Good sports facilities, great universities, world-class hospitals and museums, an excellent food-scene, one of the best orchestra's in the world, tons of parks... sure the roads are bad, some neighborhoods are unsafe, and the city schools leave a lot to be desired but I would pit Cleveland against any city in the country. It's a shame you have such a poor opinion of the city.

+10 HS
Brutus' Left Nut's picture

Not being a shithole and competing with any city in the country are two different things.  Stack Cleveland up against NYC, Chicago, LA, SF, DC, San Diego, Miami, Denver, Las Vegas, Dallas, etc. and it doesn't stand a chance.  

People who grew up in Cleveland (or small towns) may argue otherwise, but anyone who grew up in another CITY wouldn't.  

+3 HS
jaxbuckeye's picture

What an ignorant comment. So are you suggesting there are no shit hole parts of any of those cities?  Ha!

+6 HS

Maybe you missed the point of my comment.  My point was separating a city "being a shit hole" from a city competing with other cities (at the upper end)...

Every city has shit holes.  But let's look at the upper end of Miami and Cleveland.  Miami has South Beach, great restaurants, clubs, entertainment, etc.  Cleveland has a few attractions, but not enough that you hear of people taking vacations to Cleveland.  Celebrities aren't visiting Cleveland for fun..they are visiting Miami.

If you think Cleveland is an overall better city than the ones I listed, that's fine.  But, it's not some coincidence that Cleveland has to defend itself and the cities I listed don't.  For what the masses are looking for, it's just not as appealing of a place.  For what some people are looking for, it's a great place to live.

-4 HS
Furious George 27's picture

Miami is what it is because its a tourist attraction and like many places that are tourist attractions they are built up for the visitors not for the average resident....Miami is a winter destination, not a summer hot spot. Every city has pros and cons and the biggest con for Cleveland is weather.

Yeah, well…that’s just like, your opinion, man.

+2 HS
jaxbuckeye's picture

BTW, as someone that knows both Cleveland and Miami VERY well, I guarantee if the average person were to spend time in both, hands down they would pick Cleveland. The only thing Miami has is the beach. The average person doesn't give two shits about the fake nightlife of South Beach. 

+10 HS
Scarlet_Lutefisk's picture

@Jax - So much this. I'm not exactly a fan of Cleveland but Miami is a shiny coating hiding a festering pustule.

+10 HS

Guarantee?  Well if you look at population, it would seem that the average person hands down has picked Miami.  Unless you are suggesting that the excess Miami population only remains in Miami because they haven't been to Cleveland.

Miami also has great weather.  People care about that a lot.

I am not bashing Cleveland, just want to be clear about that.  I am just saying that I don't think it's as an attractive of a place to live to the majority of people.

I grew up in Ohio (Columbus) and live in NYC now.  I defend Columbus and, in general, Ohio as much as I can (East Coasters tend to shit on Ohio and think it's just farmland).  But, I still recognize that NYC is a more attractive place to live to the majority of people than Columbus is.  

+3 HS
FloridaBuck's picture

Aside from the climate, Miami blows.  Seriously.  And yes, that is from experience.

And yeah, NYC is a big city.  That's cool...if that's your personal preference.

+6 HS
exnwohiobuckfan's picture

After this past winter, my wife and I moved back to Florida. We love it here. We live in Palm Beach County and have no interest in moving further south. We have great weather, great schools, and great jobs. As far as I'm concerned, Broward and Dade counties are just places I have to drive through to get to the Keys. Almost forgot, no state or local income tax either

+1 HS
FloridaBuck's picture

Totally correct sir 

Unless you are suggesting that the excess Miami population only remains in Miami because they haven't been to Cleveland.

+1

Florida is pretty attractive...great weather year round is a draw...AND IF YOU CANT ADMIT THAT then you are lying to yourself.

www.septemberheisman.com

+1 HS
My2Sons's picture

If you think that was poor, just be glad he's never been here.

-2 HS
buckeyedude's picture

but just take a look at the city, it's an absolute shithole

If you think Cleveland is a shithole, multiply it by 10, and what you get is Detroit. I'm not shitting you. And throwing out my Ohio bias, Detroit has serious issues that Cleveland doesn't even approach. I've been all over both cities. Cleveland doesn't even approach Detroit's shittiness.

+10 HS

Yea Detroit is terrible.  The only place I can think of that is worse is Camden, New Jersey (I lived in Philly for a few years so had to go through Camden every now and then...it's like another country).

saltybuck61's picture

No doubt about that. I grew up around Detroit and the city is an absolute disaster. Of course, people from Detroit usually accept that it is a disaster and don't fight criticism. They know all of it is true. 

-1 HS

Detroit isn't that bad...I live a block away from a beautiful all sports lake, my schools are second to none, and I can go downtown for sports, theaters, great food, and great times....

I have been to Cleveland, and had some good times there as well....

(GD...I hate the triple posts)

www.septemberheisman.com

-1 HS

www.septemberheisman.com

www.septemberheisman.com

TopDog's picture

No doubt...love my Cleveland but Bosa wasn't far off base.....lets see Miami or Cleveland...not even apples to oranges

+1 HS
bethesdabuck's picture

Read the rest of his tweets since. 

+2 HS
Byaaaahhh's picture

Joakim Noah tells it like it is. Not the best idea by Joey Bosa to offend a big chunk of Buckeye Nation, but ehhh not much you can say lol. 

-10 HS
703Buckeye's picture

He didn't tell anything like it is.

+10 HS
Jbucks's picture

I'm from Geneva, Its right next to Urban Meters Ashtabula and not to far from CLE and I hate it when people smash on that City their really are a lot of great people in that city and the sports fans their are unbelievable if your teams lose year in and year out and still have the whole city going for you its unreal, yeah the economy their has taken its toll but money don't make a city

Light shines in the darkness and the darkness has not overcome it-John 1:5 SEC meet Ohio State, Ohio State meet SEC

+6 HS
Buck Commander's picture

Who is Urban Meters?

Every time I set my DVR to record Biggest Loser......It always records Wolverine Football Games!

bucknut8's picture

He went on to say that he was just kidding, got caught up in the twitter drama & it was all just a joke. 

Its Cleveland, not like it was Columbus. Now if he said it about Columbus, Id be a bit let down or disappointed, but it wasnt, so no worries! 

#Buckeyes

+2 HS
703Buckeye's picture

Remember, Cleveland is like Columbus-North when it comes to the Buckeyes. It stands to reason Bosa offended a lot of Buckeye fans.

+5 HS
mr.green's picture

My experience is that there are a lot of Notre Dame and m*chigan fans in Cleveland. 

-3 HS
703Buckeye's picture

There are but support for the Buckeyes drowns out those fans easily. The news outlets pay more attention to OSU sports over any local school and scUM/ND combined. I see way more OSU gear worn and put on cars/houses than any other university.

+7 HS
BassDropper's picture

My experience is that there are a lot of Notre Dame and m*chigan fans in Cleveland. 

Same could be said for Columbus.

DIRECTIONER

+4 HS
JDunc686's picture

Quick question (and honestly I'm just curious), has everyone on here who is upset about what Bosa said because he is "uninformed" or because he hasn't been to Cleveland and therefore shouldn't make fun of it, never made fun of a city they had never been to (i.e. Detroit)?

+1 HS
703Buckeye's picture

Given that you quoted "uninformed," I am going to guess you are referring to me. First, I'm not upset; I'm used to people making ignorant comments about Cleveland. Second, I try not to make fun of any city, whether I have been to it or not.

+1 HS
JDunc686's picture

I didn't have you in mind specifically but I bet when I was writing out my question that word came to my mind because I had just read through all of the comments.  I truly am curious if everyone who is upset hasn't done the same thing themselves, and kudos to you if you have not.

+1 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

I have a ton of friends from Cleveland, and they're all proud of where they're from, but they love to poke fun at themselves and they do say some self-depreciating things about their town. And then they go on to say "Hey, at least we're not Detroit," when they likely have never been there.

To me, this isn't a big deal at all. Bosa's probably never been to Cleveland. Everyone makes fun of Cleveland, including Clevelanders. 

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

-3 HS

Gotta love the Cleveland attitude "at least we aren't Detroit". 

in Detroit we don't say crap about Cleveland because we don't have an inferiority complex....

if the Detroit comparison makes clevelanders feel better, then you should be proud

been to to both places...saying Cleveland is better than Detroit is like celebrating being Valedictorian in summer school.

www.septemberheisman.com

BuckeyeNationforLife's picture

Clevelanders are acting like little children in Bosa's mentions. Cincy gets called stuff like that on the daily, no reactions like this that I've ever seen. 

And my god, why are these people getting so worked up? He's what 19? 20 years old?

+2 HS
703Buckeye's picture

I've seen people from Cinci get upset about negative comments toward their city. Remember, this is twitter, where everything gets blown out of proportion. Most Clevelanders are not like the whackos you encounter on Twitter.

+3 HS
BuckeyeNationforLife's picture

Very true. Will always be those guys every now and then that take everything to heart, especially on Twitter!

+1 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

I think I saw him tweet saying that he's still 18 years old.

But hey, they think they're accomplishing something by talking shit to an 18-year-old on Twitter who said something about Cleveland that literally everybody outside of Cleveland thinks. Who am I to tell them how pointless this whole thing is?

+2 HS
GuGo61's picture

Yeah, but Cincinnati hasn't been the butt of national jokes since 1969, when the Cuyahoga caught on fire, like Cleveland has.  Keep kicking a dog and you'll get a vicious dog.

+2 HS
703Buckeye's picture

I choose to look at it this way... that river fire tipped the scales and prompted Nixon to create the EPA. So, Cleveland cared so much about the environment that they poisoned their river to get better protection for nature overall. haha

luckynutz's picture

This somewhat reminds me of josh gordon and his twitter victory celebration after the heat won the title last year. Big difference is Gordon plays in cleveland. And is a certifiable idiot. And the fans seemed to forget it as he racked up huge numbers. We have seen before bosa is not one to mince words nor shy away from a good old twitter war. Hell, we all praised him when during his recruitment he tweeted about heading to that place up north.

Bottom line...he may have said some disparaging words about cleveland. How is he different from anyone else who makes the same tired ass jokes about a city they know nothing more about than the records of the franchises there?

Groveport Heisman's picture

I notice some of the Cleveland folks getting their panties bunched are some of the same cats that like to rip on Cincinnati and call it Cincitucky and similar shit. If you cant take the heat stay the fuck out the kitchen. I advocate all of us from  Ohio unite against outsiders.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+6 HS
cinserious's picture

Damn right Grove! Those same people talking shit about the 'Natti all the time, how ghetto it is, etc. At least we aint Cleveland.  

-5 HS
toad1204's picture

This stuff annoys the shit out if me.   Grow up people.  He's a 19 yr old college student.  I bet you were all well spoken college students at one point in your life who never said anything stupid.   Why is this a big deal?  Because people twice his age follow him on social media.  Here's a couple grains of salt, you should take them with his comment.  

Nothing like dancing on the field in 02... 

+6 HS
TraSmith4's picture

Somebody here said that Joey better hope he doesn't get drafted by the Browns.... sorry that is just DUMB! I know for a fact a ton of Brownie fans hated this guy but now he is the greatest thing since sliced bread! Trust me you should be so lucky that Joey would end up a Brown!

+4 HS
BassDropper's picture

Show me where Johnny trashed the city before he got drafted. If anything, Johnny showed that he wanted to play for Cleveland (i.e. the call made to the coaches telling them to draft him) 

oh and btw, if you go on any Browns message board the fan base is still only about 50/50 on Johnny.

DIRECTIONER

+3 HS
TraSmith4's picture

So you are saying that you have forever blacklisted Joey Bosa who has never been to Cleveland plays for the best football team in Ohio and is what all of 19yo?? That pretty much sums up why it's a waste of time to even argue with Clevelanders! I will think of you when I retire with my ass in the sand and sipping an umbrella drink and you keep making those snow angels ok. Oh and why did you start your message by praising Johnny but at the end you left it open to hate him in the future just in case he flops.... lol... cracking me up!

-5 HS
BassDropper's picture

dude, calm down. I haven't blacklisted Bosa, lol...this goes back to my post earlier today about Buckeye fans being to loyal...you are a perfect example of why the nation hates us. I will still root for Joey. Nowhere in any of my post have I stated that I am offended by what he said, because quite frankly, Im not. (Like I said, I've never set foot in the city)

It's funny, because I agree with most of the points being made on this subject. He is young and has never been to Cleveland, so he is uneducated on his opinion...seriously, though, before you come at me again make sure you have your facts together before you start throwing shit at the wall and trying to get it to stick.

I'm still waiting for you to show me how Johnny Manziel has anything to do with Bosa...Show me where he trashed the city of Cleveland before he got drafted. Oh thats right, you can't do it...that's why resorted that post claiming I am a Clevelander who is upset at Bosa, when you have no facts to support it.

DIRECTIONER

-2 HS
TraSmith4's picture

I'm not coming at you personally as much as "typical" Cleveland fanatics and the only fact I used against you was your own comment which was "He better hope he isn't drafted by Cleveland or this will never escape him" I was born and raised in Ohio and proud of it but I just feel like Clevelanders completely over react to most everything and it has a lot to do with why people across the country even in other parts of Ohio perceive your city the way they do! By the way I love Johnny Football and hope he becomes a star and I have a feeling Joey Bosa now understands quite clearly that Clevelanders are insanely passionate to a fault even when it doesn't make much sense lol.

-7 HS
BassDropper's picture

Once again, not a Clevelander and not my city (READING COMP!!!!). Since you have a hard time reading, I'll spell this out for you.

3 years from now, nobody will remember what Bosa said.....except Browns fans (specifically Clevelanders). To be honest, I will have probably forgotten about it by then. Browns fans are crazy/physco...Im not, because I can't put as much excitement and passion in to another team because I give everything to my Buckeyes. This will be a well known issue if the Browns draft him, and he will have to address it when he is drafted by the Browns....if he goes anywhere else but Cleveland nobody will remember him saying it. You're right, Browns fans do overreact, which is why I said it would never escape him if he is drafted by the Browns.

I feel like a 2nd grader now, did I spell it out clearly enough for you.

DIRECTIONER

-9 HS
ShowThemOhiosHere's picture

3 years from now, nobody will remember what Bosa said

LOL 3 days from now, I'll probably forget what Bosa said.

Class of 2010.

+4 HS
jaxbuckeye's picture

Way to generalize about people you don't know. You have it backwards. People come at Clevelanders THEN they react. 

+5 HS
TraSmith4's picture

I grew up in Northern Ohio literally dealt with people from Cleveland on a daily basis for years and been there too many times to count. Some of my best friends are from there but yeah you are right lol I don't understand you guys and your angst! Kind of my point! 

-6 HS
BassDropper's picture

I see you edited in that "Northern" to try to validate your point.

DIRECTIONER

-9 HS
TraSmith4's picture

yep.... thankfully not Cleveland though!

-7 HS
jaxbuckeye's picture

No one is truly a Clevelander genius. Newsflash: grew up in Northern Ohio? You are a Clevelander. God didn't create city lines. 

+2 HS
BassDropper's picture

Just stop Jax, the guy is literally too stupid to argue with.

DIRECTIONER

-8 HS
JDunc686's picture

I think this is the most confused I've ever been by a comment on 11W (in regards to Clevelander/city lines comment)

+2 HS
BassDropper's picture

(in regards to the edit)

Dude, whats wrong with you, how did I open that post by praising Johnny? I can tell reading comprehension isn't your strong suit. My post was factual not opinionated. In fact, I didn't even say I supported Johnny, Once again, you're just assuming.

and if you need some visual evidence about Cleveland being 50/50 on Johnny, just click on any of the threads on the Browns scout message board and you will see people still hating on Johnny, and people calling/wanting Hoyer to start.

DIRECTIONER

-7 HS
TraSmith4's picture

They want Hoyer to start because he is from the Cleveland area!.. he is homegrown!.. he is "one of you guys" and Johnny has to literally win you guys over which I hope he does. All the while they are buying #2 jerseys :) 

-3 HS
luckynutz's picture

Id much rather have hoyer start. Im not from cleveland, and the fact hes the home town guy isnt the biggest reason for it. The biggest reason is the respect that his teammates have for him. He has control of the huddle, and has shown that leadership ability that is crucial to a starting QB in the NFL. He has the experience edge and his teammates have shown they will follow him. Manziel doesnt have that yet...id rather go with the guy who has the support and respect of his teammates than a guy who hasnt taken an NFL snap.

+2 HS
703Buckeye's picture

TS4: What is your problem with Clevelanders? It seems to me you deal mostly with the sports psychos, which every city has. I live near DC and if I judged the area based off its sports fans, I'd hate everyone here. Most Clevelanders are down-to-Earth, blue-collar, friendly people. I really don't appreciate you painting us in such a widespread negative context. 

+4 HS
TraSmith4's picture

I don't hate Clevelanders at all 703 they are true Buckeyes and like I said before I have many friends from there but as soon as the topic turns to sports it gets really frustrating for me to always here the negative about everything and only here good things about "back when" it get's really old dude!

I didn't like how LBJ handled the decision it was immature but he made the right choice and you all know he did! Let it go and move on look to the future and be optimistic! I know Art Modell screwed you all but you have a new coach a new QB and a division that is yours for the taking look to the future and be optimistic, I already heard enough about Jim Brown and back when. I understand Tressel was the man and he got us to a Championship but Urban is our coach now be optimistic and move on! I know that the Indians haven't won since my great grandpa was born but you have a bunch of young players and a great manager who wants to be there, be optimistic about the future and move on! Maybe it's a character flaw of mine but people who always whine or complain or dwell on the past just irritate me and that's all I here from Cleveland when the topic shifts to sports and Joey Bosa exposed that with his ill advised comments last night.

-1 HS

Is Betty creating a Galaxy in that gif?

+1 HS
703Buckeye's picture

Well, that goes back to part of my point. What Bosa encountered last night are the Cleveland sports nuts, who I tend to ignore. Most Clevelanders are very realistic about their sports teams. I think all three of the teams are young and are priming themselves to contend for playoff spots. I think LeBron is a dumbass for the way he made his decision but otherwise, I don't really care what he does. I think Manziel is an intriguing pick but it's way too soon to anoint him anything good or bad. The Tribe are right on the cusp of contending if their hitting and starting rotation can be a little more consistent. I believe this is the general opinion from most of us. 

I appreciate your candor, TS4. I did downvote you on a few of your comments on this thread but I am glad to upvote this one. 

+1 HS
TraSmith4's picture

I appreciate your candor as well 703 I like it when somebody is passionate about things they like or care about. I don't concern myself with down votes it's much more entertaining to have a good debate every once in a while and if everybody felt the same way about things the world and these boards would be really boring places. 

Hovenaut's picture

The way things have been going I'd think Bosa would end up in Pittsburgh...

+5 HS
cinserious's picture

Please don't let that happen Hove. As MOD now, I know you have the power.

Grande Gustavo's picture

Yea but I mean Cleveland does really suck ass...

The answer may not be at the bottom of a bottle, but it never hurts to check. 

-10 HS
Silver Bullet 10's picture

I hope Urban pits a Cleveland boy against Bosa in an upcoming circle drill. I'd love to see that. Sorry, but that was a dumb tweet. No big deal though, but it does stir up some angst.

-2 HS
BrewstersMillions's picture

Um, which one? My money is on Bosa. Each and every time. And lets say this happens, what is the end result? Joey Bosa and said Champion of Cleveland battle in one on one combat, Bosa probably smokes him (as  he's going to be one of the best defenders in football), and goes on continuing to think what he does about Cleveland.

Same guy who bashed Lewan, much to the delight of Buckeye fans, is now in the dog house (See what I did there?) because he states something most (http://realestate.msn.com/slideshow.aspx?cp-documentid=23468266#2) (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sns-viral-worst-cities-pictures,0,603928.photogallery) people tend to agree with?

Do I come off as arrogant? Shame on me, I was hoping it would more obvious.

-1 HS
jaxbuckeye's picture

I deal with this attitude all the time down here  and quite frankly I'm sick of it. So many Floridians act like New Yorkers.  They think everyone must want to be here. The reality is that not for my job I wouldn't be here. It's way too hot for me. They ask how I could live in the north and spend months inside but the reality is I spend months inside here. 

What most Floridians, especially those from Miami fail to mention is:

worst school system in country, water so bad when I moved here my pets wouldn't drink it (honestly had to give them bottled), over-priced housing, crime that has no boundaries, terrible traffic, race riots, brutal heat, animals that kill, plant life struggling to survive, including the worst grass anywhere, etc.  I could go on and on. 

EVERY state/city has good and bad, even the self -proclaimed oasis of F-L-A!

+9 HS
BassDropper's picture

Yea but there are beaches and more stuff to do, so Florida must be better.

DIRECTIONER

+1 HS
BAR43's picture

MAny valid points. I just moved out of Jax a couple weeks ago. Although I loved the whether during the winter, 3+ months of 90 deg days is a bit much. The water is terrible and if it werent for the beaches Jacksonville would basically be like the middle of Georgia. I will say Jax has bad city schools, but St. Johns has one of the top schools districts in the nation, so not all bad.

+1 HS

Funny thing is that most people in Florida, not in Jax, call it south Georgia.

Buckeye Beast's picture

I was born at a hospital in University Circle. Growing up I lived in a few houses around St. Clair- E.55th. I was lucky to move out to the suburbs, and even luckier to spend a lot of summers in Tuscarawas county. I can say that I love the Cavs, I love the Browns, & I don't care much for the Indians unless they're winning. I love Michael Symon's burger joint B-spot, they make the best burgers around. The best Chinese food is at China House on St. Clair. I get cravings for Slymans all the time. The library in downtown is a great place. Overall, there's a lot to enjoy here if you know where to go, but it takes a lot of time & patience to discover those things. I can name a lot of reasons why Cleveland is ok, i'm from here. But I can name way more reasons why it sucks. The roads are filled with potholes. With the exception of University Circle, Tremont, Little Italy & most of downtown, the whole city is a ghetto or just really run down/close to ghetto. And as mentioned before, I love our sports teams, but hate our fans. Browns fans are mostly idiotic. I do not believe Manziel is a better fundamental QB than Bridgewater, but tell that to Browns fans who for the most part, payed no attention to either one in college. I don't believe in embracing a losing culture or mediocrity. Cavs fans are better now that LeBron is gone, but they need to chill out and realize it would be great for the team & the city if he came back. Getting away from sports for a second, I'll say that I do my best to convince any remaining family of mine who live in Cleveland to move out. It's nothing but drugs, alcoholics & ignorance. Atleast that's all there is to the Cleveland I know. Columbus is so much better. After I visited Columbus the first time, I really disliked Cleveland. At the end of the day, the pro-Cleveland crowd can MOSTLY but not ENTIRELY be broken down into 2 groups: Young ghetto douche bags who refuse to admit the world outside their hood holds anything of value, & people from the suburbs who don't really know what Cleveland is all about. I feel bad for the older generation, the people who could go on for days about what a great place Cleveland used to be.

It's 5 o'clock somewhere, & Michigan still sucks

+3 HS
jaxbuckeye's picture

Three words for you: par a graphs. 

+3 HS
Buckeye Beast's picture

I've actually been placing a lot of emphasis on how to improve my writing skills lately. I take this as advice & I really appreciate it. I know a lot of members here have a college education, & their opinion carries some weight with me.

It's 5 o'clock somewhere, & Michigan still sucks

+1 HS
jaxbuckeye's picture

Don't take it personal man. We're just amusing ourselves. It's really like being with your closest friends: we'll jump on ANYTHING to bust on you. 

+2 HS
AndyVance's picture

Kudos to you, Beast, for working on your writing skills. As someone who loves the printed word, I often feel that our schools aren't doing a good enough job of helping us feel comfortable and confident writing. Like reading assignments in school, writing in my formative years often felt like "work," rather than something you would do because you enjoyed it - thankfully for me in both cases, I found a passion for both reading and writing.

Getting better takes work - my advice is to write often, to find someone who is good that you can stomach constructive criticism from who is willing to read and respond to your work, and most importantly to read lots of good writing. Good luck, and happy wordsmithing!

An easy tip to remember is that you should always start a new paragraph whenever you change the subject.

For example in your first post you would typically start a new paragraph when you moved from talking about your childhood to the teams you are a fan of. Another paragraph would start with the change to discussing places to eat, then again when you moved to the topic of negatives in the city.

That may seem like a lot of breaks but think about how the text looks in a novel rather than something like a research paper. Informal writing tends to have many more smaller paragraphs which helps make it easier for a reader to follow & keeps their attention focused.

+1 HS
cinserious's picture

Why would anybody want to visit Cleveland after watching that video?

Now THIS tourism video makes me want to visit:

e135800's picture

Looks like many cities in Ohio

+1 HS
buckeyedude's picture

That's hilarious, Danny Beane! No sarcasm font. I did not know Cleveland led the nation in drifters. I thought San Francisco was the leader because of all of the free stuff(paid for by the dwindling middle class) the city hands out to the homeless?

-1 HS
DannyBeane's picture

I don't actually know the accuracy of the statistics in that video, I just think its hilarious. Also one of the true ways to tell an Ohioan from an out of stater is that we tend to bitch and complain about our city of residence/birth until someone from out of state bitches about it. Then we go full on HAM explaining why our city is the greatest. Case in point, I'm from the Dayton area, Cincinnati is our big city. I can talk about how much of a shithole the Dayton/Springfield area is or bring up how a large part of Cincy is a cesspool. But the second someone from Indiana/Kentucky starts talking trash about those areas, its on. I will verbally uppercut them with an oral onslaught of four letter words that would make a sailor blush. You're in my house. You don't have that right to talk bad about it unless you've lived there.

+7 HS
703Buckeye's picture

FYI, that video is made by a local, Cleveland comedian, Mike Polk. He's the same guy who coined the term "Factory of Sadness" for Browns Stadium. 

+3 HS
irishfury's picture

Big fan base for OSU in Clevland.  You can't say something like that and expect people not to be upset.  Not a smart move and I'm sure he going to learn from it.  

+4 HS
1967Buck's picture

OSU will do what needs to be done. Have faith.

buckeyedude's picture

It's a good thing Joey didn't make fun of Toledo! Nobody ever makes fun of Toledo and gets away with it!

+5 HS
DannyBeane's picture

From my experiences in Toledo... Michigan can have it.

cinserious's picture

We beat the shit outa' Michigan for the right to claim Toledo hundreds of years ago, they must never get it back! As the famous and historic Michigan slayer Commodore Perry famously said during one of his victories over that state up north " Don't give up the sip!"

+1 HS

I grew up less than an hour from Toledo and lived there for awhile. That whole city is depressing. The problem with a lot of these northern cities is that they were built on manufacturing, which is quickly dying in Amrica.

+2 HS
KINGBUCKEYE419's picture

I don't know if any of you have been to Miami but it's not the greatest place to live by any stretch. Florida's nice but Miami's rough. 

+2 HS
BTBuckeye's picture

This aggression will not stand, man!

::backflip::

Whatever. Sack some dudes this fall. Peoples impressions of CLE aren't accurate with what CLE actually is. I've always been over it.

+4 HS
e135800's picture

When I was younger, C-land was called "Mistake by the Lake"..   I take the 2 hour trip to C-land quite a bit.  Always a good party,  wish the flats were still the flats though. 

+2 HS
Buckeyeneer's picture

Cleveland is just like anywhere else. It has nice areas and bad areas. I have traveled all over the country and there are good places and bad places wherever you go. Some people love big city living; while others prefer the country. There are others still who like something in between like living in a small town or small city. Bosa's comments are wrong because he's young and assumes everyone wants to live where he'd want to live. In the end, you try to live in a place where you are happy. In all my travels, many alone, I realized that I could be happy almost anywhere and it really comes down to sharing your life with good people. The main reason I won't leave Columbus is because of all the great people in my life around here. It has nothing to do with how good or bad the best and worst parts of the city are.

"Because the rules won't let you go for three." - Woody Hayes

THE Ohio State University

+4 HS
Spivan's picture

If he thinks Cleveland is dirty, he's never been to Youngstown.

+3 HS
AndyVance's picture

Since we all need some catharsis after this thread, I'll just leave this right here:

+6 HS
AndyVance's picture

But for the rebuttal, we'll turn to a clever little band called Bowling For Soup:

-2 HS
AngryWoody's picture

I agree with Joey on this one. The "Three C's" in order of awesomeness:

1. Columbus

2. Cincinnati

3. Cleveland

Our Honor Defend!

+3 HS

Very fair assessment Woody. I've lived in all 3 and Columbus is by far the top big City in Ohio. I'm sure 2nd place could be debated to no end but I believe you got it right.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+2 HS
cinserious's picture

For some reason, Columbus has always had clear vision of how to progress and the mayors have always led the way seemingly without opposition. Although I'm from Cincy, I say C-Bus is tops in Ohio. For now at least.

On the other hand, Cincinnati has the mayor, city council, city mgr, Hamilton County mgr and a shitload of little feifdoms and municipalities all fighting and bickering and arguing with one another to ensure progress isn't made. Deep down inside, I think the city gv't fantasizes its Congress v.s President on every issue. Cincinnati is an old city with old mentalities that die hard. Luckily there seems to be a new breed of young, inspired visionaries (many from out of state) who are moving the city forward despite the donk-ass jack-ass incompetant wannabe polititians on City Council. 

+4 HS
SilverBullet-98's picture

The closer you get to the State Capital, the nicer the roads get. If you catch my drift.

"The Past Builds the Future"

+1 HS
703Buckeye's picture

This is how I rank the "Three C's" in terms of my liking to them...

1a. Cleveland (I'm from there)
1b. Columbus & Cincinnati

They're all great cities and I really do like them all about equally. 

+2 HS
ECSAGESTER's picture

I've grown to love Columbus, but I still think Cincinnati is the best city in Ohio. Granted, the rest of the state has a problem with Cincinnati seeing itself as separate from Ohio, but I'll take Cincinnati any day. My experiences with Cleveland are limited, but I distinctly remember my dad, a former Clevelander, "Don't worry son, we never have to go back". 

joejoe04's picture

This is actually perfect for when he gets drafted by Pittsburgh, like every other good Ohio State player does.

+4 HS
Gametime's picture

I wonder how many people actually knew that when they were watching the Avengers final battle scene, that it was actually shot in Cleveland?

A lot of movies are shot in Ohio because of the wide scope it can give you from farms and rural areas, Amish country, small towns, big cities, upscale neighborhoods, etc.

I mean pound for pound, without glossing over obvious advantage (weather). Florida in general is VASTLY overrated outside of the most upper tier attractions which I'd wager Ohio could match on it's best day. Specifically talking Cleveland v. Miami - Cleveland is far less superficial & folks in the MidWest are THE best, better sports fans hands down, the Rock & Roll HoF, The Pro Football HoF within an hour, Cleveland has some NICE homes by the lakefront, & I'd bet the Barley House rocks just as much as any club in South Beach.

Just my two cents.

...I too dream in color and in rhyme
So I guess I'm one of a kind in a full house
Cause whenever I open my heart, my soul or my mouth
A touch of God rains out...

+4 HS

I actually thought it had to do with some kind of big tax credit/break type of thing. Don Cheadle is shooting a movie down here in Cincy as we speak where I think  he  plays  Jazz artist Miles Davis. I know they were looking for extras and vintage cars for the movie. We have had an explosion of movies being shot down here and I thought it all had to do with some tax bullshit. Also the movie "Carol" is being shot with Cate Blanchett. George Clooney did the "Ides of March" couple years ago. 

Edit: This is what I was trying to figure out and refer too..

Governor John Kasich signed legislation in 2012 that increased the tax incentive Ohio offers for film projects produced in the state for the next two years from $10 million a year to $20 million a year. According to the film commission, the tax incentive returns $1.20 into the Ohio economy for every $1 invested.

+3 HS
sivaDavis's picture

My God, may we move on now please? 

"I've had smarter people around me all my life, but I haven't run into one yet that can outwork me. And if they can't outwork you, then smarts aren't going to do them much good." - Woody Hayes

+1 HS
DannyBeane's picture

You're ruining the circlejerk you circlejerk ruiner!

+6 HS
Unky Buck's picture

If he ended the whole rant with "At least we're not Detroit!" all would have been forgiven.

+2 HS
Buck Commander's picture

Every town has a shitty section in it....Some areas may be a helluva lot larger than others. 

Every time I set my DVR to record Biggest Loser......It always records Wolverine Football Games!

Buckeye Chuck's picture

This isn't a huge deal, but you'd think Bosa would be smart enough not to rag on a large city in the same state he currently lives in. Those are teammates and alumni he's indirectly bashing.

The most "loud mouth, disrespect" poster on 11W.

+2 HS

I've been to both cities, and have no desire to live in either.

+2 HS
Flxlin's picture

Having lived in Columbus and now in the Cleveland area, I must say Cleveland gets a lot undue criticism.  It's an easy target.  I find that ignorant people who put down the city have either never been or been around long enough to appreciate the history, culture, and revival of the city.  I'll give him a pass because of his age, but as a die-hard and alumni, I've lost a little respect Bosa.

-1 HS
BTBuckeye's picture

I do love me some Columbus. I miss the bus. Lucky I make it down there 8-10 weekends a year.

osu07asu10's picture

I'm from NE Ohio, I love Cleveland.  I also "hate" Cincinnati. My wife is from Cincinnati, I take every opportunity she gives me to call it Kentucky.

It would suck if it didn't bother her. Kind of like it would suck if people like Bosa didn't rag on Cleveland. Do I really hate Cincinnati? No (I'd never tell my wife).

It's a healthy rivalry not just Cleveland - Cincy. In this case it was Cleveland - Miami. Bosa is from the area so I expect him to take a shot at Cleveland when there is talk the Heat's franchise may test the FA waters of Lake Erie.

Without the good ribbing, what fun is it? I'm also going to defend Cleveland like Like Erie is holy water, the industrial boom is still happening, the browns just won the AAFC championship!!

+2 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Edgewater park has some of the greatest surfing around

BuckeyeRealist13's picture

One thing that Bosa (who I'm still a big fan of) needs to realize, is that so many of his own team mates hale from that "dirty little city". I'm not sure Marshon, Erik Smith, Cardale Jones, etc. would be too thrilled with Bosa insulting their hometowns like that. Also, yes Miami is much nicer than Cleveland, but can Bosa also admit that Cleveland sports fans are also much better than Miami sports fans? He can cast the stone, but can he also admit to his home states own shortcomings? 

I've spent time in the South, I don't care what anybody says they don't have the passion for football that us Ohioans have. 

Silver_bullet_tex's picture

All this talk about Cleveland and Miami being terrible places for any number of reasons and I think it is a real travesty that there is no mention of how much of a shit pit Ann Arbor is. Where are our priorities people?

+2 HS