Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Second cornerback

TheVictoryBell45's picture
May 2, 2014 at 10:51pm
26 Comments

Who do you think wins the second cornerback job to start the season? I think Armani Reeves is the guy. He improved a lot from the Buffalo game to the Clemson game (still not good enough). He looked good in the spring game as well. The year of experience will serve him well and I see him having a good year for us and being one of the most improved Buckeyes. 

WezBuck28's picture

I think with the right guidance, and that being Ash, reeves could turn it around and become what everyone was expecting to see from him..

brandonbauer87's picture

I would've chosen Cam Burrows if he didn't move to safety. Armani Reeves seems like the safe bet, but I'm pulling for Gareon Conley. 

Seattle Linga's picture

Agreed Conley and Reeves will be fighting for that spot. Conley is so athletic- I know we are going to love his game 

Tampabuckeye85's picture

I dont think we will have a solid second until game three or four. I guessing there will be a lot of rotation in the first few games and then the one that is going to rise will be apple with some big plays and secure the other corner spot heading into B1G play.

JohnnyKozmo's picture

Especially considering Navy throws the ball 5-8 times a game.  Good thing about that is, we will see where the secondary is in terms of tackling.  Outside of Roby, it was shaky at best last year.

kareemabduljacobb's picture

Meh, I'm still not sold on Reeves... I suppose we'll see how much he's improved once the actual season starts... I'm pulling for either Conley or Apple.

irishfury's picture

I think its Apple.  Apple has great head on shoulder and I think he has gotten tough love I think the coaches our playing mind games to bring out the greatness in him.  Apple I expected to be the first to get his blackstripe off not the last a year later.

+1 HS
CincyBuckeye31's picture

I think Reeves will start there but he has so much talent stacked up behind him that it could be anyone by the end of the year.  I love the depth and talent we have in the secondary.  Hopefully not playing 20 yards off the line helps improve everyone's play collectively.

TheVictoryBell45's picture

Good point. I can't wait to see our corners finally get up on a guy and be the aggressor. Great defenses don't sit back in a zone. Wish we could've implemented this defense a year or two earlier. 

CincyBuckeye31's picture

Yeah I agree.  Our defensive line wasn't utilized correctly last year by playing zone.  QB's just took 3 steps and threw the ball and it gave our guys no time at all to get there.  

+1 HS
Him1stftballl8er's picture

+1

...and we still ended the year with over 40 sacks. I think LJsr is going to do wonders with the way he rotates bodies. I don't see how the Silver Bullets won't be back this year. Can't wait til Aug30!!

The wise shall inherit glory, but shame shall be the promotion of fools. 

Soggy_McMuffin's picture

Probably Reeves with the year under him. Apple at nickel until I believe he will ultimately be switched with Reeves, Conley probably will be Grant's backup!

Gooz-fra-bah...

Hovenaut's picture

I think Reeves to start, and think he's improved. Conley pushes him, and could just as easily win the gig.

Have a feeling about Apple...believe he's making big strides.

All in all these guys are definitely going to push each other...that's a win-win all around.

I am not very smart, but I recognize that I am not very smart.

buckguyfan1's picture

When Apple's mind gets caught up to his body he will be a solid Buckeye corner. Sounds like he is real close.  He has a good frame and as important, "heavy hands".   If we are going step up and face these receivers at the line of scrimmage, then these corners have to figure out that their hands are as important as their feet. 

-1 HS
route4buckeye's picture

Eli Apple is the second CB going into fall camp.

+1 HS
OSU_1992_UFM's picture

I don't really see how you can get a good idea of the skills of any of the corners. Remember that 7-10 yard cushion? That'll hide alot of your abilities, also with the constant lack of communication how can we know who was really out of position?

UFM_Renewal

+1 HS
sivaDavis's picture

Cam Burrows would have been one hell of a cornerback. Proved it in time when Roby was ejected against Iowa. He is big and physical and has shifty hips. Once Vonn is back I would love to see him move to the Star or if we stay with more 3 LB sets hope to see him at corner a few plays, think he would be a great field corner. He is agile, has great closing speed and he tosses WRs out of the way with his strength to help in run support.

But I believe Armani will be the second DB across from Grant going into Fall Camp and probably start against Navy. All the guys will rotate and hopefully the young guys as well. Erick Smith, Marshon Lattimore, Dame Webb, etc. Would really be a test to them early. I think Conley/Apple are both going to be pushing hard for PT and that will either make or break Armani. Urban said he shouldn't have redshirted Conley and was talking very highly about him. I'm not going to mind seeing a rotation of all the names above. 

"I've had smarter people around me all my life, but I haven't run into one yet that can outwork me. And if they can't outwork you, then smarts aren't going to do them much good." - Woody Hayes

Colerain 2004 G.O.A.T.'s picture

Burrows played the whole game against Indiana and absolutely killed it. Broke up a couple TD and 3rd down critical plays. I think he will man the nickel when Bell gets healthy.

I speak the truth but I guess that's a foreign language to yall.~~Lil Wayne

Scarlet_Buckeye's picture

Grant > Apple > Conley > Reeves

hit_the_couch's picture

What the hell happened to Apple? The kid was a 5* and I think #7 rated recruit in the country. Maybe the recruiting services got that stuff wrong again.

And then I told her...i'm no weatherman, but tonight's forecast is calling for several inches!

-5 HS
Codeezy's picture

What do you mean what happened to him? Just because he didn't play last year doesn't mean he's a bust...

hit_the_couch's picture

I didn't say he was a bust. I said why is he not in contention and being talked about as highly rated as he was.

And then I told her...i'm no weatherman, but tonight's forecast is calling for several inches!

-1 HS
luckynutz's picture

He had a heck of a spring. Really showed up towards the end. And believe he will be in the conversation for playing time come fall. Adjustment periods are different for everyone, and he had some growing pains last season. But he seems to be trending in the right direction.

otrain2416's picture

I honestly hope that with the way offenses are moving using no huddle that we'll have 4 corners play ready for us. IMO Grant is going to be our lock down and on a different level then everyone else. I hope 3 guys between: Reeves, Conley, Apple, Lattimore, and Webb are ready to go by Navy. 

allinosu's picture

I think Ash was the best thing that happened to Reeves. There were times Reeves looked confused about his responsibilities. That part is gone now and he will continue to improve with proper direction and hard work.

chirobuck's picture

I think people forget that Reeves was a true sophomore last year.....no reason to think he won't get better

^ best post ever ^

+1 HS