Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Sporting News Ranks B1G Coaches

The Butler's picture
April 16, 2014 at 5:37pm
21 Comments
Mortc15's picture

I really cant decide if whoever put the list together was thinking right now or career-wise for all those guys. Either way, i think Ferentz should be ahead of Hoke, and probably Pelini too. The top 2, IMO, are easy. Fitz and Franklin are a nice 3-4, maybe switched now, or sometime in the near future. I wont get into the bottom half of the league, simply because half of those guys may not last another year or two. If i made the list it'd look like this based on cumulative career info (and maybe a little bias about whether I actually like them or their team or not) 

1) UFM    2) Dantonio    3)Ferentz.   4)Franklin   5)Fitzgerald   6)Gary Anderson    7)Hoke   8)Pelini/Kill

Buck-I4Life

+1 HS
Chief B1G Dump's picture

Hoke being ranked #7, in an historic down periord for the conference, Is pure humor. Whether you agree or not, the fact the TSUN has accepted and defends such mediocrity is embarassing.

+4 HS
FROMTHE18's picture

not sure many are defending Hoke nowadays up there…fairly sure its a Win or Bust year for him. IMO, Les Miles and Jim Harbaugh will be getting a call come January time.

+1 HS
Chief B1G Dump's picture

Pehaps now a minority but TTUN fans certainly still defend the guy and make excuses for him...still blame RichRod for program mediocrity. I agree that this year is Hokes ultimate proving ground.
Also, they can call bot Harbaugh and Miles for the 3rd hire in a row, but theyll get the same answer as the first two atrempts.

+1 HS
TheTeam16's picture

UM AD would had to have called them twice before for this to be possible, and according to many sources he did not...sooooooo....yeah...

-1 HS
Humbuck's picture

UM fans are convinced they will get one of the Harbaughs--- They actually believe they have a better chance with John!  The delusion is thick.  Both Harbaugh bros have a lifetime pass to coach in the NFL, both are in line to make $7+ million a year and if Jim leaves SF you can bet he will get huge offers from NFL teams that will dwarf anything UM can offer. 

Les Miles is somewhat more realistic but they've botched that hire as well. LSU to UM is a lateral move at best. 

Until they get rid of the Pizza Boy Dave Brandon they won't be successful.  This guy's claim to fame is as a henchman for Bain Capital building up Dominos then nearly destroying it. He ran Dominios with the idea that great marketing and mediocre products equal big profits.  He has executed this scheme at UM perfectly. 

UM has this obsession with hiring "michigan men" as AD and HC's.  Their last two AD's have been former CEO types who have little sports management experience.  The only glimmer of hope in Ann Arbor is a new president who may take a different tact than MSC did during her tenure.  They fire Brandon, they stand a chance. If he hires the next coach it will be another disaster.  

TheBadOwl's picture

Personal ratings here:

1. UFM
  2. Dantonio
  3. Andersen
  4. Franklin (could move up)
  5. Ferenz
  6. Pelini
  7. Hoke
  8. Fitz
  9. Kill
  10. Wilson
  11. Edsall
  12. Flood
  13. Hazell
  14. Beckman

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+1 HS
kmp10's picture

Beckman is, without question, the worst coach in this league. He's a walking cliché. Tim Brewster redux...

+2 HS
Johnny-Shane_Utah-Falco's picture

1.) Ferentz

Last Place.) the rest

signed,

B1G Coach of the Year selection committee

+7 HS
AndyVance's picture

The first two are no-brainers in my book... Fitz is really good, but I think #3 is probably a bit high, and the fact that they've ranked Franklin at #4 before he's coached a single game in the league either says something about how bad the coaching is in the league, or that SN is giving the guy a whole lot of credit for being quasi-competitive in the conference that shall not be named.

Andersen probably deserves to be higher up the board in my estimation, at least compared to Fitz and Franklin.

+5 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

The Stare Down from coach UFM is epic - love it love it love it

+1 HS
Furious George 27's picture

I don't like ranking a coach when they haven't coached a down in the conference they are being rated in. Saban went from mediocre B1G coach to #1 in SEC. Franklin may or may not live up to the hype.

Yeah, well…that’s just like, your opinion, man.

+2 HS
BrewstersMillions's picture

Why is James Franklin getting so much press? Stop me if you have heard this one before.

Coach has ties to big time program on a downswing at the moment. Coach gets job at said program. Coach comes in and says all the right things. Coach starts recruiting well.

James Franklin is doing the exact same thing at Penn State that Brady Hoke did upon his arrival at Michigan. If he, with his 24-15 career record is firmly in the top 5 of the Big Ten coaching rankings, then this conference is in sad shape after Meyer and Dantonio.

Forgive me if I'm not ready to buy anything being sold about a guy who beat bad non conference teams and bad SEC teams. His highlight win was this year against a MASH Unit Georgia Bulldogs. I'll believe he's a legit threat to Ohio State when I see it. Until then, he's nothing to me.

4-6 seconds from point A to point B and when you get to point B, be pissed off

+6 HS
Doc's picture

Church.

"Say my name."

+1 HS
Doc's picture

Skinny P agrees.

"Say my name."

AngryWoody's picture

But...but...but he's from the SEC.

Our Honor Defend!

+3 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

Can I upvote this again?

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+1 HS
otrain2416's picture

Seeing Hoke rated as an average BIG 10 coach made my day.

+2 HS
tennbuckeye19's picture

Anyone notice the writer of this list is none other than noted Urban/OSU hater Matt Hayes?

+1 HS
Run_Fido_Run's picture

As others have said, the top two are no brainers and the bottom five or so are not worth ranking.

Both Kill and Ferentz are underrated. You can criticize their so-so recruiting, and laugh at Ferentz's obscene salary, but these guys can coach players, which is more than you can say about Bo Pelini.

+1 HS