Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Eli Apple?

ab1993's picture
March 10, 2014 at 6:28pm
25 Comments

Has anyone heard more on him e.g his black stripe?

I heard somewhere that he was struggling or something like that, does anyone have more details?

Update: I was just tweeting with John Brandon this morning and this is what he had to say:

Ericgobucks's picture

I don't know any details, but it is oddly quiet on the Eli front. There are definitely some young pups that are ready to bite on defense, especially the secondary. Hope Eli is ready. 

+1 HS
Jugdish's picture

I hope Eli steps up and starts this fall. He was a Buckeye even before he signed his LOI to be a Buckeye. Eli is a student of the game. I can't wait to see the Bucks this fall. With the talent coming in the last three years, this may be the year we have been waiting for. -Go Bucks-

Remember to get your wolverine spade or neutered. TBDBITL

+1 HS
Colerain 2004 G.O.A.T.'s picture

Very odd situation it seems. The kid enrolled early last year at a time we were lacking depth at his position. He doesnt get to contribute at all during the season or bowl game. We lose even more depth at his position and he isnt even mentioned as being on the depth chart for spring practice but is seen at practice with another black stripe on his helmet. Wasnt his family one of the more vocal ones on twitter and facebook when he and Vonn Bell werent seeing playing time late last year? Surprised they havent filled us all in yet on what the dealio is.

I speak the truth but I guess that's a foreign language to yall.~~Lil Wayne

ab1993's picture

I'm fairly positive he was redshirted so that's why we didn't see him on the field at all last season.

Class of '16

Oh there is no question he redshirted last year. Im just mentioning that he was a very highly recruited player at a position of dire need that happened to enroll early. I found it kind of odd we didnt hear anything about him last year and find it even odder that he has a black stripe in his 2nd season and isnt even being mentioned as a body at the CB position. Unless I completely missed an article on him or something I am highly cornfused at the situation.Its not like he is a recruit that the staff cant speak about and why another black stripe?Is he the guy that spiked Spences drink with Exctasy? Is he injured? Did he not make the grades? Was he arrested? Is he planning on transferring? So many possibilities and so little information being given out.

-5 HS
Norwalk's picture

You should have stopped at "I am highly confused."

+1 HS

Why? I have yet to see a legitimate source speak out on Eli. If there is some information you are privy to Im sure a lot of us would appreciate you sharing it. If not then please quit being a grumpy troll when people are using this site for exactly what it was designed for and thats discussing buckeye football.

+2 HS
Norwalk's picture

Never been confused with being a troll on this site..Sure I'm grumpy ...Mostly when I see posts from supposed fans who assume the worst from the kids that play for "our" team. I get that Eli is obviously in the dog house for some reason but when you speculate that he might have been responsible for spiking a teammate's drink with illegal drugs you've crossed the line into douchebaggery.

-1 HS

Well with your comment above you can now say that you have in fact been confused for troll like activity on this site. If you couldnt read any sarcastic notion in the whole drink spiking comment ,and use that to justify calling a fellow warrior a D-Bag then the troll title fits you well. Its obvious to all that something is not a 100% rosey with young Mr. Apple. Like I asked earlier if you are privy to the situation and would like to share it with us that are in the dark then please feel free. I wish the very best for every kid on our team but the silence on this paticular situation has struck the curiosity for quite a few of us die hard fans.

-1 HS
otrain2416's picture

I hope he gets his chance this year and shines. He seems like a real good kid.

+3 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Agreed - hopefully he will step his game up and make a huge impact this season.

+1 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

This roster is full of highly touted recruits. I don't consider it to be a failure if a RS freshman doesn't play. It's easy to have high expectations, but every kid on that roster is fighting for time. Some guys just get it sooner than others. Obviously I hope to see Apple play. By all accounts, he seems deserving, but I'm hoping the guys in front of him don't want to let off the gas just so he can catch up. 

+4 HS
bethesdabuck's picture

I thought I read somewhere that if you were redshirted this is your "first full season" and so that is when the black stripe starts, meaning it's not "still on". 

FitzBuck's picture

The back stripe comes off as a symbol you are part of the team.  It doesn't matter if he red shirted as most stripes come off over the summer or preseason camp before who will redshirt is decided.  It's very bothersome to see a 5 star kid not even earn his place as a member of the team let alone on the two deep. 

Fitzbuck | Toledo - Ohio's right armpit | "A troll by any other name is still a troll".

Calgarybuck's picture

You get to work off your black strip the moment you've earned it, Most of the kids who red-shirted last year lost their's in fall camp.  I am worried about Eli but hey there's two things you can count on 1) Urban bringing in talented players ready to play and 2) There's always money in the Banana Stand! 

+1 HS
2002osubuck's picture

I think Grant, Reeves and Conley have improved more to this point. There's a lot of time for guys to make an impact, and with the freshman coming in, there will be some good competition. Hopefully Eli steps up because we need him and he's certainly capable.

BassDropper's picture

A lot of info floating around that he has never connected with this coaching staff and is thinking about a possible transfer back to the east coast.

DIRECTIONER

-1 HS
TUNBUCK89's picture

I just want to hear that the coaches are in his face & yelling at him during practices. If you're being yelled at by the coaches , that's a good sign he's in their plans for playing time and they want him to get better. If you're being ignored & not being pushed by the coaches, that's a very bad sign!

Buckeyeneer's picture

Yup. I remember my coach telling us, "I yell because I care." If they stop yelling, they deem you a lost cause, not worth investing more time in.

"Because the rules won't let you go for three." - Woody Hayes

THE Ohio State University

+1 HS
BuckeyeJ's picture

Hopefully the young man works through what ever it is. Depth is one of the keys to a NC. 

I am hoping to hear updates on him 

Stoicpaisano's picture

With regards to the black stripe:

-Apple and Worley made the travel team but never lost their stripes.

-James Clark was in the damn WR rotation in real games and still has his stripe.

-Munger still has his since he sat out most of the year with a medical issue. I haven't seen Jayme Thompson this spring but would assume he has one as his ankle injury came pretty early in camp.

It's nice message board banter but doesn't mean an absolute ton.

+1 HS
buckeyedexter's picture

Since it's more of a de-recruiting tool and often walk-ons are the 1st to have it removed, this seem like more of an effort issue than an ability issue.  That's very disappointing, he seem to have such high character from his interviews.

OSUpawn's picture

I remember I was really excited about Eli during last years recruiting.  I was impressed with his highlights.  I hope he can make an impact for the team.  I do feel that Webb is going to come in and pass him on the depth chart.  I think Webb will be a lockdown corner.

I believe the SEC players put their pants on one leg at a time like we do.

m5987usus's picture

Awesome updates

O-H!

Seattle Linga's picture

Eli needs to bring it this year