Ohio State Athletics Forum

Ohio State Athletics Forum

Ohio State hockey, baseball, wrestling, track, and other athletics discussion.

Ohio State Band Tradition

whiskeyjuice's picture
July 17, 2014 at 11:47pm
3 Comments

Something I noticed but never knew why was seeing members of the OSU band running around during a football game (usually chicken style) with one of them swinging around what looked like a swinging banana or something like that. I'm not sure if the band still does this or not. Thanks in advance!!

Deano's picture

They still do it.  It is a "banana".  It's the mascot of KL-Row (the sousaphone section).  Historically, the person on top was is the i-dotter.  That tends to change in a blowout or if the i-dotter is atypically . . . "large".

I can't exactly justify "why".  

+1 HS
216ToThe614's picture

Deano got some of it correct, there are also other pairs of bandsmen who run through the end zone with other various mascots, and sometimes with nothing at all. I can't really explain it more than that, its just a tradition we have, and we always do it after we score during the fight song that is subsequently played

Pick up your feet, turn your corners square! And DRIVE DRIVE DRIVE!!!
WB

+2 HS
whiskeyjuice's picture

Thanks guys!! I have wondered that for a long time and felt like I wasn't a true Buckeye fan for not knowing, lol.

"Championships are not won on Saturdays in November. Championships are won on Tuesdays in August." -- Kerry Combs