College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports discussion.

Say what you will about Kentucky

JakeBuckeye's picture
March 30, 2014 at 7:01pm
31 Comments

But they've now been a part in 3 of the best NCAA tournament games I've ever watched (Wichita, Louisville, and now vs. Michigan). This game is ridiculous!

Knarcisi's picture

You ain't kidding. This is a hell of a game. 

Buckeye Chuck's picture

The Wichita State game was amazingly tense for the round of 32.

The most "loud mouth, disrespect" poster on 11W.

Chief B1G Dump's picture

They sandbagged it all year!

southbay's picture

They grew up, and I don't mean physically.  

Not too hard to understand what Calipari does.  He gets the guys to commit for a year.  He doesn't baby them , he turns them loose, and demands their best.  Once they have some experience they're tough to stop.  That point has been reached.

+1 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

They have a way of staying loose in the closing minutes while their opponents feel the pressure. 

FROMTHE18's picture

in go 3 B1G teams, out comes 1…in go 2 SEC Teams, out come 2..let the SEC! SEC! SEC! commence…damn you Michigan and Michigan State, damn you. 

weirdscience's picture

Helluva game, loaded with momentum swinging runs. UK was fortunate to make a late run and grab the lead in the closing minutes. While UM was amazingly clutch down the stretch, cutting away all of UK's lead by :30 to go, the game winner hit by Harrison was on a different level. 

Knarcisi's picture

Example of how 5 star freshmen can play by the end of the year. 

hspbuy1's picture

Helluva group of freshmen!

hspbuy1

BuckeyeChris's picture

A great game. As you would expect from two schools known primarily for their basketball. 

+11 HS
KingsRite's picture

^ I see what you did there. :D

“I have yet to be in a game where luck was involved. Well-prepared players make plays. I have yet to be in a game where the most prepared team didn't win.” -Urban Meyer-

+2 HS
Hello_Heisman's picture

Congrats to Kentucky.  They played a hell of a game.

60% of the time it works.....every time

+1 HS
tdible2132's picture

That moron Kentucky fan who got the National Champs tattoo before the tourney might just end up looking like a genius... He's still going to have to sweat it out though.

+4 HS
Buckeye5000's picture

Yea, but in 10yrs. no one will believe him when he says he got it before the tournament.

Go Bucks!

+4 HS
KBonay's picture

moron + Kentucky = long-shot to be alive in 10 years.

+4 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Classic KBonay - perfect comment for the perfect fan base.

Deadly Nuts's picture

We have a WINNER!!!

LEBRON

OSU_ALUM_05's picture

Say what you will about Kentucky.

Ok. 

I hope they lose because their coach was Tom Crean before Tom Crean was Tom Crean......and anyone who's anything like Tom Crean should lose ...often....in embarrassing fashion.

+1 HS
weirdscience's picture

I think if UK had been playing almost anyone besides UM, I would have more enthusiastically rooted against them. Are they one of the most annoying teams in college basketball? Yes. Is their success a major reason for that? Absolutely. Look at tOSU in football: as fans, we wonder why we get "hated on," but then we find reasons to hate on other similarly successful programs. Not saying there is any objective comparison between Calipari and Meyer, but I could see how there is an apparent comparison from certain perspectives (the "SEC" view, the "scUM" view, etc.). Finally, none of this is wrong, IMO, as long as it's recognized for what it is. 

+1 HS
PittBuckeye's picture

Kentucky isn't a mystery, they have all the talent in the world and if they can stop from getting in their own way they can hang with anyone due to size, strength, and athleticism alone. 

The only reason the Wichita St game was close was because Kentucky couldn't stop handing the ball to them once every 3 times down the court.

Ludwig Yards's picture

OK, I will.

They are the dirtiest program in America.

southbay's picture

Is that why they have so much talent?  Is it that they are violating NCAA rules?  

Or is it just that many or most of their players have no real interest in getting a college education?

+2 HS
luckynutz's picture

Its to the point in the major sports that the coaches name means more than name on the front of the jersey. Cal makes no bones about using the one year rule to its fullest extent. And he has produced the results these kids look for...which is continually placing kids in the lottery. The difference being last year...due to the fact he had no glue guys or holdovers who played meaningful minutes. It was his shiny new toys and nothing else. Its kentucky...its not UMass or memphis we are talking about. Maximum exposure at a traditional power, plus cals track record of getting his players to the big payday is a tough combo to recruit against.

Squirrel Master's picture

only credit I will give them is that they beat UM. other than that, I hope the rot in hell with UF. Uconn vs. Wisky for me, and I would prefer Uconn winning it all over the rest.

I saw a UFO once.......it told me to have a goodyear!

-1 HS
kwaz50's picture

I'm not a Kentucky fan at all but they have to be the most entertaining team to watch in the country.  So explosive and they just go right at you, i love the way they play.

+2 HS
southbay's picture

You're absolutely right, and if you look at their roster you realize those guys making those athletic plays are even taller and bigger than you would think from just watching them on television.  And then you also realize how many guys they have like that on their bench as well.

Their seven foot center sat out the Regional Final with an injury, and the kid who replaced him just killed TTUN with put-back dunks.

+2 HS
luckynutz's picture

Starting lineup goes 6-6, 6-6, 6-67, 6-9, 6-910. And first two off the bench go 6-7, 7-1. Thats a whole lot of trees to play through.

+1 HS
Barnsey69's picture

They have ridiculous talent, which pisses me off. The jealous Ohio State fan in me wishes someone would finally catch Coach Cheapipari and throw enough sanctions on that program to knock it down for a decade or two. The basketball fan in me is enjoying some stress-free (out of the $ and no Buckeyes) tourney March Madness. That being said, I would be very pleased to see a Wisky v. UConn final. All SEC will be a nightmare to listen to on the boards.

Thank the Maker that I was born in Ohio, cradle of coaches, US Presidents, confederate-stomping Generals, and home of The Ohio State University Football Buckeyes!

Seattle Linga's picture

Now I'm hungry !!!!!!!!!!!!!

THEOSUfan's picture

My son is a big UK fan (sometimes kids rebel against the wisdom of their parents).  I researched Calipari to give me some ammunition to get my son to question his affinity for UK.  I believed that he was slimy, corrupt, and all that.  I thought his actions had resulted in UMASS and Memphis vacating final four appearances.  The problem is that some of that is not true.  Marcus Camby and Derek Rose had academic and/or NCAA issues.  Cal has never been tied to either situation with direct involvement.  He has had other troubles with other players, but nothing that every other coach/programs hasn't dealt with.

Some people throw out that his players aren't really students, but Cal's APR since he has been there has been very high, and he frequently notes that the team GPA is high and the one and dones go to class and do well to allow for a high APR.

Where I did find some slime is that JCal has this nebulous relationship with a guy known as World Wide Wes.  I read for hours about this guy, and I still have little idea of who he is or what he does.  He has a way of showing up on the sidelines of major sporting events and in the company of high profile athletes.  It appears that Wes is someone who gets close to the elite AAU players, and many suspect that he is steering them to UK. Which makes you wonder what is in it for him.  Is Cal paying Wes for that service (ala Chip Kelley), or is Wes getting these guys to sign with agents that he owns a piece of?  But there is a lot of smoke that surrounds WWW - too much for there to not be some fire.  If Cal goes down in a scandal, I bet it will have something to do with this guy.