Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

Notre Dame & Northwestern Among 16 Universities Being Sued for Collusion to Decrease Financial Aid Awards

+5 HS
Zimmy07's picture
January 10, 2022 at 8:07pm
15 Comments

https://www.forbes.com/sites/michaeltnietzel/2022/01/10/federal-lawsuit-...

another article if you’ve exceeded Forbes free article limit:

https://www.texastribune.org/2022/01/10/rice-university-financial-aid-la...

The plaintiffs claim that the universities engaged in a price fixing scheme by sharing a methodology for how much financial aid would be awarded to prospective students. Specifically, the suit alleges that the defendant universities “have participated in a price-fixing cartel that is designed to reduce or eliminate financial aid as a locus of competition, and that in fact has artificially inflated the net price of attendance for students receiving financial aid.”

If true, that would be a violation of Section 568 of the Improving America’s Schools Act of 1994, which says that universities can collaborate when they develop their financial aid formulas, but only if they do not consider applicants’ financial need in their individual admission decisions.

According to the suit, nine of the universities (Columbia, Dartmouth, Duke, Georgetown, MIT, Northwestern, Notre Dame, Penn, and Vanderbilt) have considered applicants’s ability to pay for college when making some of their admission decisions,

I’ll be honest - I opened the article hoping to see either the University I went to or one of them either of my Sons is at on the list, but no such luck.

The article mentions that this could have affected 170,000 students.

The tuition is too damn high these days, I say.  Yet I still struggled to make a way to pay it for my kids, too.

BOO ND & NW!

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 15 Comments