Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. This still isn't the place to discuss politics, religion, or hot-button social issues, however.

New Advertising Trend

cinserious's picture
May 5, 2014 at 5:42pm
28 Comments

I saw a Little Ceasars commercial yesterday and the tag-line was "Its the better way to pizza". Basically these commercials take a word like 'pizza' and turn it into a verb. Not to be a grammar Nazi but there's no way we will ever see 'to pizza' in the English dictionary.  There are several other examples I've seen in commercials in recent months but unfortunately I can't cite any of them (maybe you can help rephresh my memory). I can't stand when advertising agencies do stupid, trendy shit like this to try to tap into the 'Twitter culture' or whatever. The last time they did that was with the whole 'who can come up with the most lame, stupid, corny commercial possible'. I suspect that this is only the tip of the iceberg in this new AD trend as there will be many, many more. I'm not sure if any of my fellow 11W members have picked up on it but its starting to piss me off.

For example, if I was an ad exec hired by the National Pork Council, my campaign might go like this: "Try making bacon for dinner tonight, its the new way to pork".

BrooklynBuckeye's picture

Maybe you can google some other uses of nouns becoming verbs, or facebook some people and see if they know what you're talking about, or see if anyone has instagram'd any others, but if you're gonna criticize these corporations for making their company names into verbs, you'd better lawyer up. =)

I'm with you, the destruction of the English language (and I assume most others in developed countries) is sad.

To be fair, though, I'm sure someone once cringed at the idea of "phoning" someone, and people were saying that so long ago that we don't even use it anymore. This is the way some verbs are made, like typed. Nobody could type anything until there was first use of the noun type (not meaning kind but as in typeface).

One problem I see today is that people who know how to say things properly intentionally say them improperly to be cool or funny, but then people who are learning the language don't know the difference.

The biggest problem, though, is the internet and social networking. If the majority of what someone reads is on the internet, it's often barely proof-read and a mess grammatically, so how can a person learn to write? I also believe the 140 character limit on twitter is the first sign of the apocalypse in the Book of Revelations, but I could be wrong.

+4 HS
BUCKfutter's picture

Maybe you can google some other uses of nouns becoming verbs

hey! you found one!

the kids are playing their tail off, and the coaches are screwing it up! - JLS

+5 HS
Whoa Nellie's picture

"Beer me" has been around quite a while.

“Don’t fear criticism. The stands are full of critics. They play no ball. They fight no fights. They make no mistakes because they attempt nothing. Down on the field are the doers, they make mistakes because they attempt many things.”

+3 HS
cinserious's picture

You guys are missing the point. This new ad trend is only happening to try to be hip with the trendy young crowd and its just ridiculous. I will never exept 'pizza'ing as a verb.

Gone ham, be back soon...

SilverState's picture

Seems like you need to pizza with some beers tonight.

Sorry Cin, had to do it.

cinserious's picture

Oh, I'm definitely doing the beers, just not the pizza.

+1 HS
tae1986's picture

I usually pizza after the beers.. then I gym it to lose that calories...

Remind yourself, Nobody built like you, You designed yourself.

AndyVance's picture

Yeah, this isn't just an advertising thing. It's a "bastardization of the English language" thing.

+1 HS
vitaminB's picture

You're acting as if the English Language is just one set of words, with one meaning.  The beauty of language is that it is constantly evolving.  New words and new uses for words are invented all the time.

+2 HS
BrooklynBuckeye's picture

It is great for language to evolve, but sadly, our language is shrinking at an alarming rate. So we can all laud the new words that appear, and think we're smart for knowing them, but we are losing way more words from our vocabulary at the same time.

http://helenair.com/lifestyles/u-s-vocab-moribund-dwindling-fading-fast/...

/ In just the last 50 years the working vocabulary of a 14-year-old has dropped from 25,000 words to 10,000 words.

+1 HS
Chief B1G Dump's picture

"(maybe you can help rephresh my memory)"
LOL. Either you just got off Phish tour...or you have some issues:
http://www.amazon.com/RepHresh-Vaginal-0-07-Prefilled-Applicators/produc...

+1 HS
cinserious's picture

Ha! I spelled it like that on purpose to see who would catch it.

SilverState's picture

Photoshop

Snapchat

Kik

Febreze

Xerox

Tivo

Rollerblade

FedEx

Taser

+3 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

It's possible that Little Ceasars is merely a device to find dinner. Somewhat like a map. So, when compared to not having a map, Little Ceasars is a better way towards pizza. 

ArizonaBuckeye's picture

I'll tell you this much. Little Ceasars is getting exactly what they want because you're talking about their stupid ad.

"There's nothing that cleanses your soul like getting the hell kicked out of you." -Woody Hayes-

cinserious's picture

I don't have a problem with Little Ceasars (except for the fact their product used to be awesome back when it came in pairs and now it just plain sucks). I DO have a problem with the general trend of advertising going in this direction of turning nouns like 'pizza' into a verb like 'to pizza'. I wish I could remember the other ads but there are many others. When I see them, I will write them down and post it on this thread.

Hovenaut's picture

I guess I won't ask if anyone is ready to "gray box" it then.

"Success...it's what you do with what you got" - Woody Hayes

+2 HS
OSU_ALUM_05's picture

Calvin: I like to verb words.
Hobbes: What?
Calvin: I take nouns and adjectives and use them as verbs. Remember when "access" was a thing? Now it's something you do. It got verbed. . . . Verbing weirds language.
Hobbes: Maybe we can eventually make language a complete impediment to understanding.
(Bill Watterson, Calvin and Hobbes

+2 HS
I_Run_The_Dave's picture

The irony is that the word "verb" is a noun, which he then "verbed".  If you think about it too much your head might explode.

Also, I believe that it is still grammatically correct to use a noun as a verb as a shorthand for the verb "use".  So "to pizza" really means "to use pizza".  If inserting the word "use" doesn't fit, then you are applying this incorrectly.  I also may have just made this up.

OSUStu's picture

"To pork" cannot mean to eat pork. So, unless you plan to have sex with that bacon...

If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.  ~ Bruce Lee

Bolt's picture

As a technicality, I consider every time I eat bacon oral sex.

+1 HS
Earle's picture

Language on, my friend.  I'll be Englishing right along with you.

Italics are for emphasis.

cinserious's picture

I'm grippo'ing right now.

KBonay's picture

DVR it.  That's a verb & also a fantastic way to avoid annoying commercials. 

+1 HS
Norwalk's picture

Stay calm and pizza on