Ohio State's seventh practice of the preseason was a fruitful one for media members in attendance.
With the Big Ten Network crew on hand in Columbus, the Buckeye program opened up the entire practice session for viewing, including 7-on-7 and 11-on-11 reps on the outdoor field at the Woody Hayes Athletic Center. Afterward, Ohio State head coach Ryan Day fielded questions about what we observed on Thursday morning.
Check out the bullet-point breakdown below for everything Day said after the Buckeyes' practice.
- On the cornerback position: "We need to make sure we're building depth there. ... A couple guys are bumped and bruised but hopefully we'll get them back soon." Day says none of the CB injuries are long-term issues.
- Day says Kam Babb had a "tweak" recently, but should be fine moving forward.
- Day says "I have not heard anything" on USC transfer kicker Parker Lewis.
- On safeties Cam Martinez and Jantzen Dunn cross-training at cornerback, Day says "that says a lot about their skill set." Day says their coverage skills makes them more valuable to the team.
- Day says "our guys are becoming more comfortable with the scheme."
- On Lathan Ransom, Day says "he's had a very good summer ... we're certainly keeping an eye on (his injury) but he's been able to handle it."
- Day says Ohio State has shown "nastiness" and "tenacity" up front on both sides of the ball.
- On Steele Chambers, Day says his ability to switch positions last year "said a lot about him as a person." Day thinks Chambers will play his best football this season.
- On Sonny Styles: "For somebody who's supposed to be in high school right now, he's looking darn good." Day says he's being coached "pretty hard" but is off to a "wonderful start."
- Day says there's not any one thing that he's particularly concerned about regarding the Ohio State offense. "I don't think there's one thing we have a concern about."
- On JK Johnson and Jyaire Brown stepping up, Day says "it's been good to see them compete" with injuries to other corners. "If they can stay healthy, we're gonna be sharp going into the season."
- Day says there's "probably just a handful" of true starting battles for Ohio State entering the season But Day says a lot of guys will be rotated at a number of positions.
- On Cade Stover, Day says he's improving his route-running and ability to catch the ball.
- On Xavier Johnson, Day says "he's cut his teeth here and he's developed into a really, really good receiver. ... Been very impressed with his first week."
- "Enokk Vimahi is someone we need to step up." Day mentions Carson Hinzman and Tegra Tshabola as young offensive linemen who have stepped up as of late.
- Day says "it would be intriguing" to have a scrimmage against a different team a few weeks into preseason camp, but would be concerned about young players getting injured that early on. Day would be more interested in having such a scrimmage during the spring.
- On Chip Trayanum: "He certainly has a lot of skills, works hard, the guys respect him." Day says "as soon as we feel like he's ready, he'll go play."
- On Gee Scott's transition: "He's flashed for sure. He's just grinding right now. ... There's certainly been really good signs."
- Day says the Buckeyes will scrimmage on Saturday.