The Pro Football Writers of America handed out end-of-the-season honors on Tuesday, and the trade organization named New Orleans Saints cornerback Marshon Lattimore as its 2017 Defensive Rookie of the Year.
Lattimore, a first-round selection (No. 11 overall) out of Ohio State, tied for fifth in the NFL with five interceptions. He finished the regular season with 53 tackles (44 solo), five interceptions, one forced fumble, one fumble recovery and 18 passes defensed, which tied for the most by a rookie in 2017 in 13 games (all starts). He posted a streak of three consecutive games with an interception. Lattimore was the NFL’s Defensive Rookie of the Month in October and December.
Kansas City Chiefs running back Kareem Hunt and New Orleans Saints running back Alvin Kamara split offensive honors.
Lattimore wasn't the only Buckeye recognized, either. The PFWA named Minnesota Vikings center Pat Elflein, a third-round draft selection, to the All-Rookie team.
Lattimore is the first former Ohio State player to earn PFWA Player of the Year accolades since Dallas Cowboys running back Ezekiel Elliott in 2016.
The full PFWA All-Rookie team:
- QB – Deshaun Watson, Houston Texans
- RB – Kareem Hunt, Kansas City Chiefs; Alvin Kamara, New Orleans Saints
- WR – Cooper Kupp, Los Angeles Rams; Juju Smith-Schuster, Pittsburgh Steelers
- TE – Evan Engram, New York Giants
- C – Pat Elflein, Minnesota Vikings
- G – Dan Feeney, Los Angeles Chargers; Jermaine Eluemunor, Baltimore Ravens, and Ethan Pocic, Seattle Seahawks (tie)
- T – Garett Bolles, Denver Broncos; Ryan Ramczyk, New Orleans Saints
- DL – Derek Barnett, Philadelphia Eagles; Myles Garrett, Cleveland Browns; Carl Lawson, Cincinnati Bengals; Dalvin Tomlinson, New York Giants
- LB – Jarrad Davis, Detroit Lions; Reuben Foster, San Francisco 49ers; T.J. Watt, Pittsburgh Steelers
- CB – Marshon Lattimore, New Orleans Saints; Tre’Davious White, Buffalo Bills
- S – Jamal Adams, New York Jets; Marcus Williams, New Orleans Saints
- PK – Harrison Butker, Kansas City Chiefs
- P – Rigoberto Sanchez, Indianapolis Colts
- KR – Ryan Switzer, Dallas Cowboys
- PR – Jamal Agnew, Detroit Lions
- ST – Budda Baker, Arizona Cardinals