Despite the domination, Ohio State almost deserved to lose after repeatedly shooting themselves in the foot and a series of questionable referee decisions.
Consider the following:
- Allowed Saquon Barkley to return the opening kickoff for a touchdown.
- Parris Cambell fumbled on the ensuing Buckeye drive, turning the ball over in Nittany Lion territory.
- They went down 14-0 within the first five minutes of the game.
- Damon Webb was called for pass interference after making a clean interception of Trace McSorley in the end zone.
- 10 penalties for 79 yards, including four false start penalties with three on first down.
- Denzel Ward's interception overturned for a touchdown.
- Penn State linebacker Koa Farmer returned a second quarter kickoff 52 yards to the Ohio State 23.
- J.T. Barrett fumbled a read-option give in the third quarter.
- Tyquan Lewis got tackled on a crucial 3rd and 11 in the third quarter. It went uncalled, allowing McSorley to escape.
- Juwan Johnson fielded Ohio State's last squib kickoff at the Penn State 41.
And still, after all that, somehow, against all the odds, the Buckeyes won the dang game! This is why we love college football.