University Park, Pa. — After squandering a 17-point halftime lead, Ohio State somehow managed to survive in double overtime Saturday against Penn State, escaping Happy Valley with a 31-24 win.
Redshirt freshman quarterback J.T. Barrett's 4-yard touchdown run in double overtime proved to be the game-winner as the Buckeyes scored on their possession then stopped the Nittany Lions on theirs as Joey Bosa recorded a sack on fourth down.
Penn State struck first in the opening overtime period as Bill Belton scored on a 1-yard run, but Ohio State quickly answered on a 5-yard touchdown run from Barrett.
The Buckeyes led 17-0 after the opening two quarters, but were completely shut down in the second half by Penn State's stingy defense. The Nittany Lions scored 17 second-half points — including an interception return for a touchdown by Anthony Zettel —and Sam Ficken's 31-yard field goal with nine seconds remaining sent the game to overtime.
Barrett struggled throwing the ball on the road, finishing 12 for 19 for 74 yards with two interceptions. Running back Ezekiel Elliott carried the ball 26 times for 109 yards and had a 10-yard touchdown run in the first quarter.
|OHIO STATE||STAT||PENN STATE|
|3.8||AVERAGE PER RUSH||0.5|
|6.2||AVERAGE PER COMPLETION||7.2|
|14||RUSHING 1st DOWNS||5|
|4||PASSING 1st DOWNS||11|
|1||PENALTY 1st DOWNS||4|
|3.9||YARDS PER PLAY||3.0|
- Ohio State's regular-season winning streak in the Big Ten is now at 19 games, one shy of the all-time record of 20 set by Ohio State from 2005-07.
- Urban Meyer is now 7-0 in his career in overtime games, 3-0 at Ohio State.
- Ohio State has now won 11 consecutive games on the road — the longest active streak in the nation.
- Ohio State has now scored on its opening drive in five straight games.
- The Buckeyes have now outscored their last five opponents 158-38 in the first half.
- Linebacker Joshua Perry had a career-high 18 tackles and has recorded at least six in every game this season.
- Joey Bosa had 2.5 sacks and 2.5 tackles for loss against Penn State. He's recorded at least 0.5 TFL in 13 straight games.
- Running back Ezekiel Elliott has went over 100 yards rushing in three of his last four games. He's got 499 yards and three touchdowns in Ohio State's last four games.
- Linebacker Darron Lee recorded a career-best 2.5 tackles for loss against Penn State.
- Vonn Bell and Tyvis Powell each recorded their second interception of the season and third of their career.
- Cameron Johnston punted six times with a 45-yard average and pinned the Nittany Lions inside the 20-yard line four times.