Ohio State has been at its best this season when it gets a well-balanced offensive output. Saturday against Morehead State, the 12th-ranked Buckeyes got just that.
Ohio State put four guys in double figures and received 15 points apiece from D'Angelo Russell and Sam Thompson en route to a 87-71 victory at the Schottenstein Center.
Senior center Amir Williams had 12 points and nine rebounds, while freshman Jae'Sean Tate pitched in 12 points for the Buckeyes. Shannon Scott finished with nine points and Kam Williams and Keita Bates-Diop each scored eight.
Ohio State (8-1) shot 55 percent from the field in the game and also made 6 of its 14 tries from 3-point range.
The Buckeyes jumped out to an early 12-2 lead and didn't look back. Thompson led the way for Ohio State with 11 first-half points, while Amir Williams had 10 in the first 20 minutes.
The Buckeyes will next be in action 7 p.m. Wednesday against North Carolina A&T at Nationwide Arena.
|OHIO STATE||STAT||MOREHEAD STATE|
|30-53 (56.6)||FGM-FGA (PCT.)||26-47 (55.3)|
|6-14 (42.9)||3PM-3PA (PCT.)||7-16 (43.8)|
|21-27 (77.8)||FTM-FTA (PCT.)||10-12 (83.3)|
|20||PTS OFF TURNOVERS||19|
|38||POINTS IN PAINT||26|
- Ohio State has now won 56 consecutive games against unranked non-conference opponents.
- The game was head coach Thad Matta's 500th of his career. He is now 385-115 overall as a head coach and 285-84 during his career at Ohio State.
- Ohio State's 21 made free throws were a season-high.
- Sam Thompson's 15 points were a season-high. He's scored in double figures in seven of the nine games so far this season. He also dished out a season-high five assists and grabbed five rebounds.
- D'Angelo Russell's 17.7 points per game average ranks No. 2 nationally among true freshmen. He's been in double figures in eight of this year's nine games.
- Amir Williams' nine rebounds tied his season-high. He also tied a season-high with 12 points.