Who says school has to wait until after the NFL?
Without breaking stride from breaking NFL rushing records on his way to returning the Chicago Bears to relevancy, Justin Fields graduated from The Ohio State University today. The former Heisman Trophy finalist with the Buckeyes has now pulled off the remarkable achievement of completing a bachelor's degree while balancing a starting quarterback job at the highest level of professional football.
Justin Fields. Graduate of THE Ohio State University pic.twitter.com/Auo1Wfc0ms— Ohio State Football (@OhioStateFB) May 8, 2023
Former Big Ten commissioner Kevin Warren, who is now the president of the Chicago Bears, was among those in Columbus to support Fields as he received his diploma on Sunday.
Reigning All-American Tommy Eichenberg and fellow linebacker Steele Chambers also join Fields today in celebrating educational milestones. The trio represent just under half of the seven past and present Ohio State football players that will graduate following the spring 2023 semester, along with Kourt Williams II, Jaden McKenzie, Michael O'Shaughnessy, and Bradley Robinson.
Some other notable student-athletes receiving degrees today include:
- Alessandra Montesano: Olympian on Italy's 4th-place rowing team at the Tokyo Olympics and 2022 Big Ten Distinguished Scholar
- Lyle Yost: 2023 NCAA 1-Meter Champion, NCAA Diver of the Year and Arthur Asher Male Sports Scholar of the Year
- Lexi Edwards: First All-American women's gymnast from Ohio State in over a decade
- Sammy Sasso: 2023 Big Ten Champion wrestling in 149 lb weight class
- Jenn Gardiner: Ohio State women's hockey 2022-23 points leader
- Julieta Toledo: Three-time fencing All-American and a Rio Olympian in 2016
- Nikki Dzurko: Three-time synchronized swimming solo champion at U.S. Collegiate Championships
- Cannon Kingsley: Three-time All-American men's tennis player and two-time Big Ten Player of the Year
The Ohio State University's release on Spring 2023 Commencement highlighted roughly a dozen additional student-athletes graduating as well.