Site Stuff Forum

Site Stuff Forum

Let's get meta.

A Game Thread Strategy

Jason Priestas's picture
October 6, 2015 at 7:08am
100 Comments

Thanks for all of your feedback of the chaos of the live chats. It's sad when a few trolls – who may or may not even be Ohio State fans – ruin things for everyone, but at the same time, I'm not surprised. This is the internet, after all.

I want to start by saying that I'm personally not a big fan of game chats or threads in a general sense. I don't feel that they add a lot of value and easily lead to the worst in some people. I want to create great features and deliver news, not really provide a forum for people to shout, “CATCH THE DANG BALL!” (or worse).

Saying that, I would like to try to do something, so what we plan to do this weekend is host a game thread in the Premium Lounge forum only. There will be no live chat or open threads on the front page of the site and if you create one in the forum Saturday, you'll likely get jailed for a while. I want to try to make people happy, but the servers' health is my number one priority and until we can come up with a solid solution, I want to start small with something like this.

If the Premium Lounge open thread works out and the servers perform well, we'll look into restoring a game thread for the masses next week.

On another note, please don't create worthless mid-game threads about single topics. Hypothetical examples of those would include:

• Why Is Jalin Fumbling So Much
  • Cardale's 3rd Down Passing
  • ZEKE IS AMAZING
  • Why Can't We Tackle
  • No Touches for [PLAYER]?

Please take your time, think about your topic and compose a well-reasoned take after the game, not in the heat of things. Eventually, these will be comments – not full-blown forum topics – that we hope you'll be able to roll into game threads soon.

Thanks for reading this.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 100 Comments