Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

Bengals Offseason Thread(part 2)

+3 HS
Spartan13's picture
April 27, 2024 at 11:09pm
48 Comments

Other thread is up to 340 comments and the draft is finished so figured a good time for the next part. This should take thread should take us through camp. In the OP wanna review the draft and look at the depth chart

Draft Overview-I think some fans are being overly critical of this draft(especially OSU fans mad they passed on 2 Buckeyes and take 2 guys who played for Michigan.) I think the hardest thing was picking at 18 led to the Bengals being just a few picks away in both the first round and second round from taking a higher tier of player. 

This draft is by far the most boom/bust I've seen any team have in awhile. Amarius Mims(inexperience/injury) Jermaine Burton(character) and Erick All(injuries) are all good prospects for where they were taken that easily could pan out. They could also fail miserably because of the concerns. Thats why I am most surprised people are negative, as an optimisitc fan I am expecting all 3 to work out along with Jenkins meeting his high floor, and a day 3 pick hitting. Overall it's fine but could have been better. I also believe this was the best day 3 they have had in a very long time.

Depth Chart

• QB-Joey B-Clear 2nd best QB in the league and most dont really seem to give the Bengals credit for going from a back up back to Burrow
  • RB-Chase Brown/Zack Moss-Mixon was fine and they replace him with Moss, Chase showed a lot of flashes and could be a really talented back.
  • WR-Higgins/Burton/Chase-Burton will be expected to start right away jumping over Charlie Jones. Jones and Yoshi will be the top backups. If Burton pans out he could be a speed upgrade over Tyler Boyd.
  • TE-Gesecki/Sample/Hudson/Rookie-The most improved roster spot on the team. Going from a cast of nobody's tp Gesecki will help the offense spread it around. All/McLachlan are recovering from injuries so I could see All going PUP and McLachlan the final spot
  • OL(left to right)-OBJ/Volson/Karras/Cappa/Brown(Mims)-4 of the 5 starters are back with Trent Brown coming in for Jonah Williams are RT. Amarius Mims will hopefully develop to become a contributor at RT.
  • Offense-Obvously the upgrade at QB will lead to a much better offense. Gesecki will be a huge upgrade and the OL will be the best Burrow has had as a Bengal. Development of Burton/Chase Brown/Mims will be pivotal between this being a good unit and elite.
  • DE-Hendrickson/Hubbard(Ossai)-Same duo back with Hendrickson hopefully in a good mood and goes back to being an elite rusher.
  • DT-Sheldon Rankins/BJ Hill(Kris Jenkins)-Rankins likely cant live up to DJ Reader but may provide a little bit more pass rush. This is one place the Bengals are clearly worse
  • LB-Wilson/Pratt-Both return and should be at similar level.
  • S-Jordan battle/Geno Stone-This group struggled last year. Hopefully Geno Stone comes in and is solid while Battle turns into a average strong safety.
  • CB-CTB/Mike Hilton(Dax Hill)/DJ Turner-DJ Turner is being looked at to be a starter, Dax Hill has officially moved to play nickel corner, and CTB will be the CB1.
  • Defense-Real concern here with DT taking a big hit from Reader, Safety relying on development and Geno Stone, and corner will rely on DJ Turner who was a bit concerning as a rookei. Shouldnt be a bad unit but will need work to take a step.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 48 Comments