Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

Bengals - Bills Game Will Not Be Resumed/played

+2 HS
stantmann's picture
January 5, 2023 at 6:22pm
100 Comments

***UPDATE: The Bengals can win the #2 seed if the Bills lose and the Bengals win. #1 Head to head is null, #2 is Conference record, both 8-3. #3 is conference record, both 8-3. Tiebreaker #4 is strength of victory. Right now, the Bengals are leading with .483 to .479. I didn't take the time to figure that out, it is on ESPN's Playoff standings. Since Buffalo lost their last game (in this scenario), theirs will stay at .479, the Bengals  at .483 will only go up since Baltimore will be 10-7, based on an average of .483 (rounded) x 11 games, then add in Baltimore's .588 winning percentage, then divide it by 12 - The Bengals SOV should be in the neighborhood of .492. Based on this scenario, the Bengals would win seed #2. ***

The AP has reported that the Bills/Bengals game will not be resumed. Cincinnati was winning the game 7-3 early in the first quarter when the game was suspended.

With this new information, KC will lock up the #1 seed with a victory, or a Buffalo loss. Cincinnati, which had a chance to win the #1 seed with a win over the Bills and Ravens, will be at best a #3 seed.

According to Adam Schefter at Sports Illustrated, the NFL is deciding on whether to play the Conference Championship game at a neutral site to be fair to all teams involved. I think this would be a good idea, but unecessary if KC wins their game. The most fair would be if Cincy and Buffalo meet that it be played at a neutral field.

Of course, the Ravens also feel slighted as they had an outside shot at a division championship with a win over the Bengals, and a loss by the Bengals to the Bills.

Anonymous sources (or you can call them rumors) also have said that if the Ravens win, they may circumvent the rules and give the Ravens the AFC North Championship based on the two wins over the Bengals. I don't even know how this is possible, as it would be assuming the Bengals would have lost to the Bills if they played.

The NFL is also reportedly mulling adding an additional team in the playoffs (hello Steelers) and giving the top 2 seeds a bye. Talk about the Bengals getting screwed. Logistically (bracketwise), I am not ever sure how that happens. The other scenario is that the Chiefs do not get the bye with the addition of the 8th team.

The only upside to the Bengals locked into #3 was the Ravens game would be a rest game. Now, instead of taking it easy against the Ravens, they may have to go into that game to win the division. It seems once again a small town team is getting screwed in favor of the bigger TV market teams.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 100 Comments