Sexual predators running around have soaked up a lot of NFL media attention but there is plenty to be excited about in Cincy. With camp in full swing here is some news from different sources with focus on rookies:
- QB-Burrow being out definitely sucks but he will be back soon. Hate the timing of the surgery but it is what it is.
- RB-Chris Evans has been making a serious push to be RB2. Evans is entering his 2nd year and his elite athleticism/speed has been shown off in camp. With Mixon as the main ball carrier Evans could be used quite a bit as a receiver and a speed threat.
- WR-Not much to note with the top 3 solidified but Jamarr Chase is having an incredible start to camp and may be the best receiver in the league this year based on how dominant he has been. Dude is 22 years old lol
- TE-Hayden Hurst is probably the biggest winner throughout the start of camp. He has been a consistent target in every drill. The former 1st rounder is an upgrade athletically who has struggled to find a place competing with Mark Andrew in Bal and Kyle Pitts in ATL. He may be a downgrade as a blocker but adding Hurst to these WRs could be ridiculous
- OL-Jonah Williams is primed to have his best year and has been very impressive so far, despite it being his 4th year he is still only 24 years old and has room to grow. Ted Karras has had really good reviews so far and that is looking like a solid signing. OL coach Frank Pollack said Jackson Carman has a night and day difference from last year in his play and approach, its early but there seems to be a lot of confidence in him at LG. Lael Collins and Alex Cappa are working through injuries.
- DL-Nothing special with the veterans not being ran too hard. The goal is to find more pass rush and the hope is at EDGE Joseph Ossai can be the answer, he is coming back slowly but looks good, he dominated Isiah Prince. DT Zach Carter has shown a lot of flash early and that could be a really good pick. Hobson and Lapham said Carter has looked great. Carter could provide pass rush from the DT spot rotationally.
- LB-Akeem Davis Gaither returns from a season ending injury and has taken over as starter with Logan Wilson easing into camp. ADG is a passing down specialist who has been great. Logan Wilson, Germaine Pratt, and ADG is a really good trio for 2 spots.
- DBs-Dax Hill has been filling in for Jessie Bates and it seems the first round pick is a good one. He is taking over play calling duties already and filling in nicely. 2nd rounder Cam Taylor-Britt has struggled a bit guarding Chase/Boyd but his athleticism and skill has been a big positive. He likely wont challenge Apple for a starting job this year but it seems like he is tracking in the right direction.
- Special teams- Former Buckeye Punter Drue Christman seems poised to put Kevin Huber into retirement. Underrated storyline from the super bowl was how terrible Huber was, so far through camp it seems he is over the hill. Evan McPherson may be ready to takeover the title of best K in the game. He hit a 65 yard FG(against a block team) with plenty of room to spare. If the Bengals can reach the 45 they may be in FG range.
Stadium News: The Bengals are planning a renovation to PBS including potential areas for live gambling, a "nightclub" style area and city themed districts around the stadium: https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2022/08/02/bengals-paul-brown-stadium-u...