Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

Favorite Sports Conspiracy Theories

+8 HS
LealmanBuckeye's picture
April 17, 2020 at 8:52am
146 Comments

Thought I'd throw this one out there. Apologies if someone has already done this recently. This is meant to be a space for sports-based conspiracy theories, no matter how whacked out or unfounded. Something to have fun with.

I'll start with mine: The Patriots' dynasty happened because of 9/11.

9/11 happens, and the country is reeling. The powers-that-be see a need for a good old-fashioned American underdog story to inspire Americans and boost morale. At the time, the St. Louis Rams had the Greatest Show on Turf, with Warner, Faulk, and the rest, which became the Goliath in this scenario. And for the role of David? Look no farther than the Patriots, which is the obvious choice because of the symbolism.

It was a perfect storm, really. Bledsoe gets hurt, and Brady gets thrust into the spotlight. Underdog within an underdog. Then there was the Tuck Rule game against the Raiders, which was controversial enough to be suspicious in hindsight. Then when they reached the Super Bowl, the Patriots chose to be introduced as a team, instead of the then-traditional individual player intros, symbolizing unity. The last-second field goal for the win? Hollywood couldn't have scripted it better.

After that initial SB win, the powers-that-be decided that this can't just be a one-off thing. In order to give legitimacy to that win, the Patriots did whatever it took to keep the dynasty going, including Spygate, Deflate-Gate, and all the other shenanigans they've pulled over the years, while only getting a slap on the wrist, for the most part.

So yeah, I know it's unfounded, but it makes some sense, in a tinfoil-hat sort of way. What are your conspiracy theories related to the world of sports?

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 146 Comments