Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

Is Ohio the current king of sports?

+1 HS
huber57's picture
December 29, 2016 at 10:10pm
49 Comments

My son has Instagram and feels compelled to read to me all of the stats that ESPN posts there (Did you know that Dontari Poe is the heaviest player to ever throw a touchdown pass in the NFL? Neither did I. Thanks, ESPN).

After going quiet for a bit, he looked up after thinking and said, "Ohio has so many champions." Asking him why he said that, he rattled off the Cavs and the Indians. So, we started to list them.

• Cavaliers won it all this year.
  • Cleveland won the American* League (I forget what happened in the WS).
  • The Buckeyes have enjoyed a historic period of dominance (Natty in 2014 and 2016... *fist bumps chest, kisses fist and points toward the sky*).
  • The Blue Jackets are in first place (although we know Stanley Cups aren't won in Dec., we are cautiously optimistic).
  • The Ohio Machine, of Major League Lacrosse, lost in the Championship game this year.
  • The Columbus Crew have been great as of late, playing for the MLS Cup in 2015.
  • Columbus Clippers won the Governor's Cup last year and lost in the semi-finals this year.
  • Mount Union won the DIII football championship in 2015.
  • The myriad of Championships at the non-revenue sports at Ohio State (looking at you Pistol, Men's Volleyball, Synchronized swimming (forever...), wresting (in 2015 and Kyle Snyder... may God help whomever he wrestles).
  • And, of course, TBDBITL.

Is the State of Ohio the current king of sports? 

What an amazing time to be a fan of Ohio athletics at all levels and all sports. I don't think any other state can come close to this. 

What am I missing?

*Corrected since comment was posted

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 49 Comments