Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

Baseball Fans: *Best Starting Pitchers

+4 HS
RBurgundy4's picture
May 12, 2016 at 10:04pm
119 Comments

*That you've seen in your lifetime. TV counts, doesn't need to be in person.

This same topic was proposed about a month ago regarding hitters and some of us had some fun with it. In light of Max Scherzer's 20 K performance last night (!) and the fact that it has only been done a handful of times in baseball history (9 innings: Clemens 2X, Randy Johnson and Kerry Wood), I thought this might be a good time to explore this. Two of those guys definitely make my list.

Baseball, being a Pitcher's game and this being limited to SP's, I thought we'd shoot for a Top 6. Yeah, many guys started and ended up as RP's and if you want them, go right ahead, but please try to avoid "pure" RP's such as Rivera and the like. 'Roids are a full go, so are spitballs, scuff balls, Vaseline, suntan lotion and every other way that pitcher's have routinely use to cheat since the game was invented. No rules, except limited to SP's. 

One final word; longevity should be considered, as a great many pitcher's have had tremendous 2-3-year runs, only to fade. That's fairly common. In fairly recent years, Johan Santana, Tim Lincecum, and Brandon Webb leap to mind as examples of all-too-brief pitching dominance. But the choice is yours, basball fan. Pick your 6.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 119 Comments