Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

Do Browns championships = Super Bowl wins?

0 HS
JasonR's picture
February 8, 2016 at 12:16pm
84 Comments

Disclaimer - this is not meant to be an attack on Browns fans. Just one, in particular. File this under "I shoulda known better"...

Somebody (a Browns fan) tagged me (a Bengals fan) on facebook with a meme of Bengal tigers. You know the one where the baby says "Mom, what's a Super Bowl" and the mom says "I don't know son, we're Bengals." Ha ha, funny right?

So I go along with it and point out that the Bengals have actually played in two Super Bowls while the Browns have not yet reached the big game, and of course was met with the old "we won a bunch of championships before the Super Bowl". That's fine, nobody is disputing that. The Browns certainly have a rich history. But still, this struck me as ridiculous that Browns fans are talking crap the day after a Super Bowl that they did not participate in, about the Bengals not playing in a Super Bowl. 

But they went as far as to say that the "2 national championships" (their words, verbatim) that were won in the 40s and 50s were the same thing as Super Bowl wins. That it was the same game, just a different name. I attempted to educate them on the merger, and how the AFL and NFL came together and called their championship the Super Bowl, and how the Browns championships came when there were like 8 teams in the league and they were clearly NOT the same thing.

Well then I was met with personal attacks and derision. I'l admit it burned me up, considering this person has a pretty loose grasp on NFL and Cleveland Browns history.

TL;DR - do the Browns AAFC and NFL championships equate to Super Bowl wins? I say no freaking way, not even close.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 84 Comments