Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

My Solution to Fix Officiating

0 HS
utah's picture
January 3, 2016 at 1:22pm
65 Comments

Hello all. I've been working on an idea for a while. I would like your opinions and would love your participation.

First off though, I'm pretty new here. While I don't think this is against the policies, if this is looked down upon I apologize, and I bought some goods and joined 12w to make up for advertising myself a bit. But if you'll allow me to hawk my sports-related wares, here goes.

I've built a platform for sports fans to vote on whether or not a call was right. It's called Refolution. The idea is that the "wisdom of the crowd" will be more accurate, and hopefully quicker, than a couple people in the review booth. And after all, it's the fans that ultimately need to feel officiating is just, so why not let them be part of that justice?

Beyond just correcting calls in the current system, this has the potential to change how calls are made. Many calls that are unreviewable could become reviewable. And we could even simplify some calls by allowing them to be made on a gut feeling.

Consider the Bosa ejection for a moment. While I agree with the call letter-of-the-law-wise, perhaps a million voters would reverse it after determining that it was an awkward hit that didn't look intentional.

And how many times have you seen the star basketball player sit out the first half because of a bogus 2nd foul? Imagine taking that foul off the board so the player can get back in the game.

Like Wikipedia, this will be a volunteer endeavor with a hierarchy of responsibilities. Each league will have a Commissioner (and Assistants for subdivisions). Each team will have an Owner and several Managers. Managers represent their teams during a game and create polls about calls in the game. And everyone following the game will vote on these calls.

There's a lot more to it, and feel free to ask questions, but that's the gist.

<update>

I've consolidated my answers to a bunch of concerns in this comment.

</update>

This is very much in Beta / MVP stages. Most of the work has been done on the mobile app and the administration site for Commissioners, Assistants, and Owners. The public site is in the most obvious need of refinement right now.

I'll be free all day to explain more and to get people setup up for some NFL games. I'd like to get a bigger group for the National Championship. And I'd really like to do each game of the NFL Playoffs. I'm mainly looking for people to play around with the game management process, and then maybe onto team ownership.

If you think this is a hypothesis worth testing, I would appreciate your help. I have some work to do before submitting to the app stores. For now, you can follow these instructions to get the app.

1. Download the Ionic View app (iOS / Android). There are a few oddities with testing this way, the main one being that the app won't remember your login credentials. It's a pain, but we'll move on soon enough.
  2. Create an Ionic account within that app.
  3. Use this code to find my app: 3b4ad1df
  4. Create a Refolution account, and have a look around.
  5. Then let me know what username you chose and what game(s) you'd be interested in testing.

Thanks for reading and Happy New Year.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 65 Comments