Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

OSU football and basketball recruiting fan talk.

“Respect My Decision.”

+62 HS
Bringthejuice's picture
August 2, 2021 at 3:35am
117 Comments

This may seem like a dumb point to some folk, but I can’t imagine I’m the only one who finds it odd that more and more (nearly all) recruits include the statement “Respect my decision” somewhere in the commitment OR decommitment statements that they post on social media. I’ve often wondered what that statement actually means to each recruit who uses it and the point they’re trying to convey. I mean…how often have I ever said (or even thought) those words myself? And I make decisions every day. How often have I ever actually heard another person say them? In any context. I don’t know that I ever have. Even when typical high school graduates are telling the world what they plan to do with their life…I’ve never read a graduation bio that says “I’m going into the military. Respect my decision.” Or “I plan to attend Such-and-such University to study agriculture. Respect my decision.” I realize these are often high profile athletes whose life experience up until now is very different from many of ours…yet I still find it odd that that statement—the demand to be respected (or maybe a preemptive attempt to shut others down?)—is such a “go-to” in this context.

I may be wrong here, but if they really did want respect and privacy…why in the world are they using a global social network to share their latest intentions in the first place? It makes no sense to me. As if by making a decision, telling the world about it, and then saying “respect my decision” the rest of the world is somehow obligated to respect their decision regardless of whether or not it’s a respectable, wise decision? People make horrible decisions every day. I make horrible decisions sometimes. This post may be one of them. But hey…respect my decision. 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 117 Comments