Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

OSU football and basketball recruiting fan talk.

"Miss" the wrong term for DT recruiting in 2016

0 HS
stxbuck's picture
February 9, 2016 at 3:42pm
45 Comments

I'll admit it-I'm REALLY sick of everyone-from recruiting experts to internet expert fans claiming that tOSU/Larry Johnson/the hotdog guy at the Horseshoe-you name it-whiffed on DT recruiting for the 16' class. The cold reality is that the staff did not-they just did what schools like tOSU sometimes have the luxury of doing-they were really, really picky.

With up to 5 RS frosh DTs from the 15' class in the fold- Landers, Hamilton, Alabi, Cornell, and Jones- bodies at the position were NOT a priority for Larry Johnson. Quality was the priority. After getting a commit from Malik Barrow, who was having a dominant senior year at IMG before his injury, tOSU basically recruited only 4 DTs seriously-Dexter Lawrence, Rashard Lawrence, Rashan Gary and Antwaun Jackson-the 4 best DTs in the nation as it were. If DT was a gaping roster hole that reeked of potential disaster, I imagine Coach Meyer would have recruited with a bit more vigor at  the position. He needed bodies at DB-so he recruited beyond the obvious, no brainer, you take them no matter what 5 stars. He didn't do this at DT, which brings me to my real point-why don't people see this?

As fans, do we want to be the most passionate fanbase-freaking out over who we didn't sign, screaming rage at the staff b/c they don't share our burning need for the success of the program, complaining that Urban Meyer doesn't under roster management like us and hinting darkly at potentially bad things to come because of this? Or do we want to be the best fanbase-intelligent about all aspects of the game, supportive of every player who commits to tOSU, and appreciative of the quality of the coaching staff that we do have. Acting like chicken little or the boy who cried wolf over one non-signee at a position is just an immature and neurotic position to hold-whether as a recruiting analyst or a recruiting fan. Other schools-scUM on the OL, LSU at QB, Florida at QB, Miami,Fla on the DL-know what it is like to MISS on positions of importance. We, thankfully, don't have that problem-so don't act like we do. Just ask Daniel Cage and Haskell Garrett.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 45 Comments