Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

OSU football and basketball recruiting fan talk.

Stan Drayton Effect...

0 HS
pdpepper's picture
February 5, 2015 at 8:07pm
42 Comments

Let me preface that I'm deeply grateful to Stan Drayton for his years as a top notch coach.  In short, he was phenomenal. 

But all that goodwill has essentially been wiped out by his recent move.  As an Ohio State fan, and a general human being, I am disgusted with how this was handled.  I have zero problem with coaches going to other teams and positions. Zero problem.  Do what's best for you and your family; however, do it the right way.

In a tight race for Weber with scUM, he committed to Urban, OSU, Coombs, and Drayton. It was a courageous commitment as he went against family, coaches, and I'm sure his friends. In short, it took guts and he made a strong commitment to OSU in the face of a lot of hate from those around him. 

How do we repay this commitment?  What does Drayton do the very next day? He leaves. If Drayton told Weber he was leaving, then he made the commitment on his own terms; however, it appears from Weber's tweet, that he had no idea Drayton was leaving. This is appalling. Drayton was even bragging about his wife's personal relationship with Detroit (she was raised there) and how angry she would be if he didn't let Weber represent Detroit. Just restating this story makes me angry.

Also, what's the urgency to immediately take the job?!? The NFL is in it's offseason and their off season workouts don't even begin until April 6.  That's 2 months!  On top of that, the month after NSD is essentially a month long vacation (and much deserved) for the coaching staff.  He does nothing for the next month and continues to make $295,000, plus his $73,000 bonus.  Wait a month, a week, anything but the day after NSD.

I feel how this was handled will have a MAJOR negative impact on recruiting.  Far more of a negative effect than the positive of signing 1 player.  Every single one of our rivals will site this specific event in recruiting going forward. Every one and for years to come.  And you know what, they're right. This was classless on all accounts.

For the first time, in a long time, I'm disappointed as an OSU fan.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 42 Comments