Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

A Useful Inside Perspective on Ohio State NIL

+63 HS
teeedawg's picture
December 19, 2023 at 10:24pm
71 Comments

NIL has been a hot topic amongst Buckeye fans recently.

You guys know me well, I don't usually have any inside sources, but this time I do and wanted to share with the good people of 11W.

Someone at Ohio State kindly summarized for me how schools like Auburn and Miami are able to use NIL outgun us for certain recruits.

Paraphrasing here and using Auburn as an example:

• NIL at Ohio State is 3-5x bigger for player retainment and transfers than for the incoming class.
  • Nobody wants any of the players on Auburn’s shitty 6-6 roster - the NFL, other schools, etc.
  • Because Auburn doesn't have to spend nearly as much on player retainment, they are able to funnel crazy money to a handful of recruits (probably irresponsibly so).
  • Ohio State actually has a national championship caliber team, so we have to continuously think about the whole locker room and managing the entire roster.

Some great behind the scenes perspective.

The general perception among Ohio State fans has been that NIL is a major problem and that we're falling way behind.

We should always strive to be better, but this altered my perspective a lot. I believe our NIL is quite strong - we are just allocating it differently.

Pretty awesome too to be spending proportionally less on recruiting and still reeling in the #3 class in the country.

Go Bucks!

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 71 Comments