Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Can OSU Football Succeed with NIL?

+8 HS
RedTeamGo's picture
December 19, 2023 at 10:41am
130 Comments

Simple question. I am not saying succeed at all, OSU will always be a solid to great program (I think)

Watching how other programs are operating with regard to NIL and words being spoken by Birm and Ward recently has had me thinking about this. It seems to me like programs like Oregon are have mega donors like Phil Knight/Nike dropping whatever it takes and they are just using NIL collectives as a front to give money directly to recruits legally. 

OSU collectives are actual collectives where they have their hands out to the regular Joe fans asking for $10 "donations" - to me this seems like trying to put a house fire out by spitting at it. 1,000 random dudes donating $10 will never be able to compete with billionares like Phil Knight, the oil tycoons with the Texas schools, whatever Miami is doing, Coca Cola with Georgia, etc. 

And this isn't really just a question for OSU, it really is the same at programs like Michigan, Notre Dame, Penn State, etc. 

Folks like to say "the OSU heavy hitter boosters just want their names on buildings" - honestly, who can blame them - these people are wealthy for a reason, and it isn't by giving a bunch of money to 17 year olds with literally no ROI. 

Seems to me this is the one kind of situation that could actually really hurt the OSU program in the long term. 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 130 Comments