Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

The Game: Our Position Groups vs Their’s

+1 HS
BuckeyeRocket's picture
November 26, 2023 at 12:15pm
4 Comments

Throughout the Cooper years, I had a Sunday exercise. I’d look at who we were losing vs. TTUN, and try to analyze how we’ll do next year. I am looking at players, not coaches.

I started to it again today, and maybe you can help. I’m looking at yesterday’s performance as well as career performance.

The QB edge goes to the bad guys. (McCarthy over McCord) McCord’s arm is about equal to McCord’s but his scrambling and ability to extend plays makes this any easy pick. Both are back next year.

‘Offensive Line:  A huge edge to TTUN. They got great players from the transfer portal over the last 2 years. Their center, Nugent, had 24 starts at Stanford; he’s a grown ass man. Their guards (Zinter and Keegan) are both All Big 10 with 35 starts apiece. Our guards are veterans (Jones and Jackson) and played well most of the last 2 years. Had 2 or 3 good drives yesterday but Jackson falling down and Hinzman blocking no one on that last fatal interception left me scratching my head. (At least I didn’t throw anything at the TV!!!)  At tackle, TTUN also hit the portal and got veterans from ASU and Stanford (Henderson and Hinton) to go with Barnhart. We countered with Simmons, (who really improved after a shaky start) Fryar (serviceable) and Montgomery (will be excellent but is only a true freshman).  All of our rival’s top players on the line are seniors or grad students.  We lose only Matt Jones.  TTUN loses everyone. 

WR: Give the edge to us with Marvin this year. Our  pipeline of stars in the waiting room like Tate, give us the edge for next year. Hopefully the punk who ran his mouth up north will go to the NFL and get his ass kicked.

TE: A toss up. Stover made huge plays for us over his career but not too much yesterday.  He will be gone. Thurman looks like a stud for next year.  Gee Scott is too inconsistent. Loveland is good for the bad guys.  He probably comes back.

PK: edge TTUN yesterday. 

P: Not Micro’s best game.  Edge to TTUN yesterday. As to the future who knows.?

DL:  I like OSU overall but yesterday, it was a draw. We needed more than 1 sack and a lot more pressures.  Can’t speak to next year because I don’t know who leaves.

LB: About even. Both teams have vets who will depart.  I have respect for #35 but he has not played well in any of our 3 losses against TTUN. Slight edge to the bad guys yesterday but Steele played well in 1st half. I like Hicks and and Powers and even Carrico in the future.

DB:  We recruited Will Johnson heavily, but he went to the dark side.  He’s best player on either secondary. Burke had a good game yesterday and played much better in 2023 than 2022.  Both will be all-conference. The safeties are a toss up. I like Styles (even with his missed tackle yesterday)  Proctor (will graduate) and Ransom (Will he be back?).  Hartford has played well in spot duty, but really messed up on the disputed TD yesterday as he never turned to look for the ball. I like our roster going forward.

So, reviewing this group by group, we can see why we lost.  Add in the(1) home field advantage and (2) some psychological shit with with Harbaugh being seen as a “victim”  (Hail to Victims Valiant), plus (3) losing the turnover battle, it’s encouraging that we had a chance to win with 34 seconds to go.

‘What are your thoughts?

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 4 Comments