Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Care/Don't Care: Three Things After Penn State

+14 HS
milhouse4588's picture
October 21, 2023 at 5:29pm
118 Comments

Care: The Defense is Legit

I think I said this once or twice before but our defense is what we hoped it would be last year. Knowles has earned his paycheck.

I do think Penn State was a product of poor SOS but Knowles has put every player on our team in a position to succeed and called amazing games.

We just dominated PSU's O-line that includes one of the top Tackles in America. All around an amazing effort, even while missing our top CB.

Don't Care: Penn State Hype

After watching the game, this Penn State team is not even close to their best team of the last few years. They were a product of a easy schedule and abive-average O-line. Their defense wasn't great on any level and their offense was actually bad once they faced a good defense.

While they may not drop much I would not consider them a Top 12 team at this point. They have a huge weakness at QB, and their offensive line couldn't hold up against our guys at all.

Care: Kyle McCord is now the biggest thing holding us back.

Our team isn't going to reach the heights we did the last few seasons because that's almost impossible. But our team overall is extremely talented and capable of amazing things.

Our weakness right now is QB. McCord has the the potential to be great but he isn't close to that yet. I don't think anyone behind him is better but he is our dead weight until proven otherwise. He hasn't put together more than two quarters of quality football against a real opponent this year and today he looked downright awful for a large part of the game.

Our offensive line looked excellent for a lot of today and McCord was the biggest factor holding us back.

Put a more accurate QB in the game today and it's a 35-12 game at minimum.

Don't Care: 12 team playoff.

As with every season, there are not even close to a full playooff's worth of teams worthy of competing for a championship.

This is a bit tongue in cheek but based in reality. We just shut down the #6 team in the nation and the final score doesn't illustrate how ineffective they actually were.

A twelve team playoff is going to be a lot of fun, but there are never more than 4-5 teams who have a claim to "best team in the country" in any given year.

Care: Jordan Hancock

What a game. We don't have our All-American CB for the biggest game of the year (so far) and Hancock came up massive. He had a number of huge plays and I don't think I heard his name called unless it was because of something positive.

The guys we wanted to play well on defense are playing well but it's guys like Hancock who have improved dramatically that are making this defense elite.

Don't Care: If We Win the Natty

This is an extremely hot take and will probably get some DVs but... This year is just fun. Great defense, offense with some issue, and a coach who is great at making big plays happen.

I'm having a great time watching this team, but there are huge issues that haven't been fixed yet. If they were fixed, we win the Natty because we are so good everywhere else.

But right now I'm simply enjoying this season because we are back to old school Ohio State football: great defense and suspect offense that gets it done.

I don't expect us to win it all this year. Our new QB is not the type of guy (right now) that can lead your team to the championship. If that changes, awesome. But right now we deserve our ranking, make plays where it matters, and have met every obstacle with fire and success along the way.

I love this team.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 118 Comments