Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Inconsistent Run Play Calls, Not Just Execution of the Line.

+35 HS
Dillon G's picture
September 3, 2023 at 12:18pm
113 Comments

I will upload more, and all I have is screen recording from my iPhone. First let's agree and establish a few facts. TCU has a similar strategy as Ohio State, only not nearly as talented as Ohio State and they had no problem scoring at will. Michigan is similar to Georgia on defense, but  not as good. Ohio State torched them. What was different? Georgia played press man coverage, Michigan stopped after 2018 and 2019. Other teams in the Big 10 will watch, as Tom Allen did, and learn.

When Henderson runs, most of the time it was zone blocking and stretch runs. Often 44 was unblocked and in the backfield. So were others. Even Myan Williams was brought down in the backfield. It isn't Henderson. A lot of Traynum's success running is with man blocking. I will show this. I don't think it's complicated. Why are they calling plays like this? Run the counter with Henderson.

First play of the game, and Indiana was waiting for it. Unblocked defenders (multiple) as they knew to split the zone and just go to the outside.

On the next, 44 was blocked in man scheme. Chip went for about 12 yards, opening up the passing lane for Cade Stover on the 44 yard play. Note how they are all blocked this time.

And of course here is the first play of the game. Multiple unblocked defenders in the backfield against Henderson.

On this play, Henderson breaks a tackle at the line of scrimmage from an unblocked defender. He ran through the arm tackle.

On the final for this post, 44 over shoots after moving unimpeded to the line. He moves too far outside and gets blocked by Chip Traynum and Cade Stover. Henderson then makes a great cut inside for the first down. Bad play again, and he made the most of it. I will make more videos.

If they are sitting in zone, then run in the seam and sit down in the zone. And run man blocking run plays. And finally here is Traynum's play that later springs Stover. 44 is blocked man to man instead of running free in the backfield like he did every time Ohio State ran the stretch.

Thank you for your consideration as to the inconsistency in the run game.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 113 Comments