Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

PSU - No Annual Protected Opponents

+6 HS
BroJim's picture
June 9, 2023 at 9:40pm
68 Comments

Hey Folks, 

I was taking a look at the flex protect plus model that the Big10 has adopted. Pick whichever news source you like for sports, but below is a quote from an ESPN article:

"Penn State, meanwhile, has zero annual protected opponents in the new model. The Penn State-Ohio State game has often shaped the league and CFP races, but it will not be played in 2025 after taking place at Beaver Stadium in 2024."

I found it to be interesting. OSU has been playing PSU yearly for decades. Typically, the games are quite good. How are you feeling about this? I know they are not our rival, but think of some of the memories we have from playing them - Bosa's walk off sack, J.T.'s comeback in 2017, Tuimoloau going off, Gamble's pick six in 2002, Thick six, PSU's blocked field goal, Braxton dancing at the goal line, etc. It's just been such a great matchup with countless spectacular performances. I know we will play them somewhat regularly, but I think I will miss the yearly matchup. 

Thoughts???

Link to the quoted article:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/37820350/big-ten-introd...

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 68 Comments