Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Was the Peach Bowl Our ‘92 Duke Kentucky Game?

0 HS
RCRoy45's picture
January 20, 2023 at 10:52am
14 Comments

I've done a lot of thinking about the peach bowl and what I kept coming back to are the parallels to why weekend of March 28, 1992.  There were two Elite 8 games of note 

1 Duke Kentucky (Laettner shot)
2. Ohio state / TTUN (fab 5 v Jimmy jackson)

The Duke Kentucky game was really the start of the Kentucky dynasty under Rick Pitino and they had that game won till Jamal Mashburn fouled out / similar to Marvin leaving the game for us - it was an epic game that in the end went to the defending champs so they could become the first repeat champ in a generation- very similar to UGA... 

The Ohio State TTUN game was the end of the Ohio State rise which began under Gary Williams and continued under Randy Ayers...  we took a long time and a new coach to get back to where we were...

I think the 2022 Buckeyes can either be 1992 Kentucky - who lost an epic game but went on a nice run of success or the 1992 Basketball buckeyes who saw the end of an era in that loss - 

I really think we are 92 Kentucky and that Peach Bowl will go down as a Duke Kentucky type game that ended the wrong way 3 strokes till midnight. Lots of parallels in the two games ...

1 Kentucky started out on fire
2.  UGA win led to back to back championships 
3.  Best player lost due to controversial play
4.  Lots of memorable and questionable calls in both games.. (Laettner stomping on UK player - not thrown out / Targeting on Marvin
5.  Epic game with two giant programs in a battle royal

The only difference is Kentucky was playing with a lesser team except for Mashburn... we were every bit the equal of UGA that day - but I'd love to see your thoughts on comparing the ‘22 peach bowl to the ‘92 Duke Kentucky game 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 14 Comments