Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

OSU Post Season Scenarios

+4 HS
drank1933's picture
November 30, 2022 at 12:07pm
43 Comments

We all would love for this to be all but locked up, but I see there being four different postseason destinations (against various opponents) for our Buckeyes this year. I will rank them in order of most likely to least likely below:

1) Rose Bowl vs. Utah/Washington - This one is pretty clear cut... if chalk prevails (UGA, TTUN, TCU & USC win) this weekend, the B1G's automatic championship tie-in with the Rose Bowl goes to the next highest non-playoff B1G team. I've seen some buzz around message boards/social media about the athletic department trying to position ourselves for another destination (to avoid recent Rose Bowl rematches), but I just don't know that we have THAT much control over the situation. Utah losing a close game could cause a rematch of last year, while a blowout almost certainly means Washington gets the nod. Pennix Jr. facing the Buckeyes again would be cool to see as well!

2) Peach Bowl vs. UGA/TTUN - Here's where things start to get interesting for both our destination and opponent. If USC or TCU loses, I think we sneak in to the #4 spot. I'm assuming that UGA is going to win the SEC Championship after seeing LSU stumble against A&M, which makes their playoff game essentially a home game (not leaving your stat for your first two postseason games? Must be nice...). I hate the matchup, but I'll take an unlikely chance in the playoff game over some non-playoff NY6 bowl every single time. I listed TTUN as a potential opponent here as they could either A) pull a 59-0 beatdown of Purdue and leapfrog UGA or... UGA could stumble and slip down to #2/#3 and then TTUN would get the preferred location treatment. I LOVE the opportunity this presents to wash the bad taste out of our mouths in a certainly more important and historic installment of THE GAME. 

3) Fiesta Bowl vs. TTUN/UGA - This specific scenario requires that USC AND TCU lose (as I don't think we would leapfrog either of them at this point). We become the #3 seed and once again find ourselves in our post-season home away from home... Glendale, AZ (most appearances by any team). See #2 above for my thoughts on playing UGA vs. TTUN in the playoffs. 

4) Orange Bowl vs. Clemson/UNC - This is the least likely of the bunch IMO, as this would require chalk in every game of consequence EXCEPT for the B1G Championship. Should Purdue pull a Spoilermaker in Indy, TTUN drops to no worse than #4, and Purdue gets the auto-bid to the Rose Bowl. We are left out of the playoff and are the highest ranked non-conference champion team remaining of the B1G/SEC/ND, so we get the nod to the Orange Bowl. While I imagine Clemson takes care of business vs. UNC to get the ACC champion auto-bid here, I wouldn't be shocked if they didn't. 

If I had to rank these in order of my personal preference:

1) TTUN in the playoff (Peach then Fiesta) - self explanatory 

2) UGA in the playoff (Fiesta then Peach) - Dislike the matchup, and hate them getting a home game out of it as well, but I'll take it if we have to

3) Clemson in the Orange Bowl - Any chance to beat Dabo is welcome by me!

4) Utah in the Rose Bowl - Loved last year's game and love the tradition/pageantry of the Rose Bowl. CJ either goes back into GOD MODE like last year in his last game as a Buckeye in his home state OR he opts out and Kyle McCord gets to sling it to his former high school teammate.

5) Washington in the Rose Bowl - See #4 minus all the rematch from last year's game and sprinkle in some Penix Jr. action. Last time he played us (2020), he was slinging TDs all over the place. Missed the opportunity to play us in 2021 due to injury, so this would be an interesting story line and matchup.

6) UNC in the Orange Bowl - While I think this is the least exciting matchup, I have a bunch of family in NC so that brings some interesting personal stakes going into this game. I think our D also slows down Maye enough to prove there shouldn't' have been much of a comparison between he and Stroud this year OR... we see if McCord can hang.

After last night's rankings, I don't see anyone who is in position to jump us even with a championship upset this weekend nor do I see UGA or TTUN falling out of the top 4 even with a loss. Safe to say we are all pulling for Utah and Kansas St. this weekend!

What do you guys think? Am I missing any scenarios (teams or locations) here? 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 43 Comments