Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

“Believe What Your Eyes Tell You” — Never Been More True

+15 HS
ShawneeBuck74's picture
November 27, 2022 at 9:48am
38 Comments

The problems that we saw all year against lesser competition were massively exposed against TTUN.

Last year, we couldn’t run the ball and settled for FGs. This year, we ran the ball very well in the first half. The offensive line wasn’t the problem at all this year like it was last year.

But TTUN’s explosive (blown) plays forced us to play catch up. They forced us to throw to win the game. Players dropped passes. We called the worst kind of runs at the worst time. CJ didn’t see some wide open guys.  The play calling got super odd. Like, we never really got the ball to Marv. The way to beat our explosive offense is out… make us pass to win. If you have decent DB play, we get clunky and call dumb plays. Stop it with the “wearing teams put by going side to side” crap and throw some slants and get creative again in the run game.

On defense, I am honestly wondering if Knowles is Don Brown. his defense yesterday was the reason we lost this game and it’s inexcusable at 2 million a year. Yes, we needed to stop the run. We did that. But when it was clear that Mr. Arm Punt could have a wide open WR, like, force them to make tough throws and short passes with a little zone. And we could have hired Chris Ash who gave us a championship defense in one season.

Can Tim Walton Coach? Because I saw zero improvement from corners all year. How come Eliano is coaching safeties, given he coached up two amazing corners last year? And speaking of safeties… do any one of them know how to be an actual safety and be the Jordan Fuller type who cleans up everything & doesn’t get beat deep? Can LJ get his Dline to contain a running QB by not rushing 9 yards into the backfield? 

TTUN had 5 plays that went for something g like 350 yards. Two of those runs were 75 and 85 yards.  All the passes were on crappy broken play coverage where the WR was wide open.

How in the name of all that is holy do you let that clunky offense be some explosive????

We should sue for malpractice. 

All year long, this team didn’t pass the eye test. For some reason things seemed a little off. After the bye week, they really looked odd… never found a rhythm. The defense, while having majorly improved LB play, had glaring weakness at corner and safeties in coverage at times.

Ryan Day’s offense has gotten predictable in play calling. We either live by the long ball or throw bubble screens. We couldn’t figure out if we should be a gap/power run team or an outside zone team. CJ struggled at times to find his groove esp. in the last six games. And what the heck… do they hate Dallan Hayden? Chip ran well, no doubt. But Dallan proved he’s a great RB and he got 2 carries.  Miyan was hurt. 

I can’t ever get into the stupid unsportsmanlike penalties. Way to kill the game for us tough guys.

The toughness that was lacking in this team all year… was the same toughness lacking last year.  MENTAL toughness. They never snatched the soul from anyone. They don’t know how to bully anyone. That’s mental. That’s an attitude. Urban had it. Day doesn’t appear to have it. This team folded when things got tough. They were wound too tight and didn’t really believe they could win when they faced an equal. 

Look, I know these coaches know more than us.  I know things are going on within the program. But I’m going to double down on believing my eyes. And I’m not going to criticize people who call out what they see. A lot of posters on here said it all year. And got lambasted.  Believe your eyes. 

TTUN said “they are who we thought they were” and were right. This team is still entitled and the stats are a paper tiger. I am so frustrated by this loss. It’s the worst one in a long time. And to our rivals. Shameful. Embarrassing. 

Thing is, I don’t know what they can do to change it. Deep soul searching is needed. I don’t know that Coach Day knows how to fix it. I like him a lot, too, so it pains me to acknowledge that.

For those who didn’t live through it… this is exactly what the Cooper Years felt like.

End rant. 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 38 Comments