Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

How Would You Fix the Culture/emphasis Around the Rivalry?

+3 HS
Scarlatina's picture
November 26, 2022 at 6:59pm
49 Comments

Maybe I am still a little biased from the lost, but I’m starting to come around to the idea that an “outsider” maybe can’t put the importance on The Game as it is needed. It is definitely feeling like shades of the John Cooper era.

However, I am not yet on board with the idea that Ryan Day has to go. Firing a 11+ win coach is a recipe to potentially becoming the next Nebraska.

Instead, we should explore how Ryan Day can right the culture/emphasis on the rivalry either directly or indirectly. Even when Michigan was losing in the rivalry, they never seem to lose their “chippiness” and always played above their ranking.

If Day can’t speak on the rivalry himself since he didn’t grow up in it, or play in it, he can maybe bring in people who can. Urban Meyer used to bring in Earle Bruce during Michigan week to fire up the team.

If that’s really the missing element, could Day say bring in Mike Doss, Malcolm Jenkins, or Jim Tressel to speak to the players? A focused time in team meetings similar to how they do a “Michigan focused” time of practice.

I could also just be emotionally ranting nonsensically.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 49 Comments