Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Tressel vs. Urban vs. Day

+4 HS
DaiTheFlu's picture
November 25, 2022 at 5:04pm
72 Comments

On the eve of the biggest version of The Game since 2016 (if not 2006), I've been pondering a question: which of the past 3 Ohio State head coaches has been most directly responsible for Ohio State's current position as a top 3 program? Obviously the real answer is "some combination of all of them", but for the purpose of discussion, let's look deeper.

- Jim Tressel: Aside from a magical 2002 run, his greatest contribution was turning the rivalry with TTUN on its head, which was crucial given the struggles of his predecessor. His overall tenure may have been overshadowed by his later-term difficulties in big games, although it felt like that narrative was turning with big wins against Oregon and Arkansas before perhaps the single most horrifying scandal in NCAA history brought down the Senator. 9-1 vs. TTUN and 1-2 in national championship games.

- Urban Meyer: Taking the reins after a difficult interim year in 2011, UFM brought elite results almost immediately. 2014 was once of the greatest and most unlikely seasons in Buckeye history, ending with an epic clash against Alabama and a domination of a high-flying Oregon team. Beyond that great season, Urban was undefeated against TTUN, including a ridiculously enjoyable 2018 bludgeoning of the Wolverines in Columbus, costing them a playoff berth and B1G championship. Urban's later years were also overshadowed by scandal, as well as a handful of blowout losses to Clemson and gold-clad B1G West bottom feeders. Aside from the 2014 title and TTUN domination, Urban supercharged recruiting at Ohio State, which has largely been continued by his successor.

- Ryan Day: Currently 1-1 vs. TTUN and 1-2 in CFP games, Ryan Day is just beginning his tenure as Ohio State's head coach. I still believe that he and the team were robbed of a championship opportunity in 2019, as that team remains the single most talented Buckeye team I've ever seen. The 2020 team got its revenge against Clemson, but faltered against a historically great Bama team in the CFP title game. Obviously 2022 will go a long way towards determining Day's legacy at Ohio State, and his short term this far makes comparing Day to the previous two HCs a bit unfair. That said, Ryan has undoubtedly brought the Buckeye offense into the modern age, which was sorely needed after the stagnation that started to occur during the latter years of Urban's run. Recruiting, particularly at the QB and skill position, remains at an all time high and even exceeds what UFM was able to achieve. If I had to nail down Ryan's biggest accomplishment to date, it would be the fact that his offenses are regarded as the best in the game on a yearly basis. His ability to continue and build upon the success of his predecessor is nothing short of remarkable. That said, there are still a lot of boxes that need to be checked before his name gets added to the list of Buckeye greats. His 45-4 record is astonishing and is the highest win percentage among active FBS coaches.

3 coaches, 3 very different contributions to the overall strength and position of Ohio State football within the national landscape. Clearly all have played a large role in our sustained success and there really is no "wrong answer". However, for someone who grew up in Columbus in the 90s, a decade long domination of TTUN carries the day for me, not to mention a 34 year drought-ending championship win against one of the greatest teams in CFB history. Urban Meyer certainly brought Ohio State into the modern Era and elevated our recruiting to help us compete with UGA, Bama and the like, but I would argue that James Patrick Tressel is the man who laid the foundation for our continued success over the last twenty years. More than anything, he vanquished Michigan for 10 years and almost singlehandedly caused the destruction of their program. I love Urban and Ryan Day, but Tressel brought us out of the darkness of the Cooper years and we haven't looked back since.

What say you, 11W?

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 72 Comments