Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

A Couple of Questions for Those Who Played or Coach(ed) Football

+4 HS
Sonof'47alum's picture
November 25, 2022 at 10:06am
27 Comments

A bit of background first: I played soccer in high school and college many years ago and my coaches typically talked about playing with controlled emotions—not losing your cool.  Walt Frazier of the Knicks was a role model for me because he always seemed calm and collected on the basketball court.

I fully realize football has a level of physical play that neither soccer nor basketball approaches (and I suppose the intensity that is part and parcel of tackling and blocking is a reason you see football coaches go off in their pre-game talks in a way I never experienced from my coaches).

And, for The Game tomorrow, I can appreciate how that intensity can rise to an unparalleled level.

Burt how concerned (if at all) are coaches about players being able to strike that balance between bringing that intensity while still playing under control? (Obviously the players have to keep their head/cool in terms of executing their individual assignments within any given play (and, of course, in terms of avoiding penalties).

I know this might sound strange, but can there be such a thing as a player in The Game perhaps being too fired up as he steps on the field?  Thanks.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 27 Comments