Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Dual Threat Quarterbacks and Its Effect on the Running Game (Losing Our Identity?)

-5 HS
buckeyeguy0615's picture
November 8, 2022 at 11:14am
80 Comments

I see a lot of conversation the last 2 years from fans wanting CJ Stroud to "run the ball more", but I see minimal from the same fans attributing this to being the main reason why our running game has regressed the last couple of years.

When I think of OSU's strongest running games in recent memory, it was Hyde (under Braxton), Zeke (under Barrett and of course, Cardale Jones using his legs as well), and Dobbins (under Barrett and Fields). I decided to take a look at Dobbins' most productive years and this is what I found:

JK's Rushing Stats

Year Rush Yards YPC QB Played With
2017 1403 yards 7.2 JT Barrett
2018 1053 yards 4.6 Dwayne Haskins
2019 2003 yards 6.7 Justin Fields

JK Dobbins' biggest dip in running production was under Dwayne Haskins, a pro-style QB who lacked mobile ability, while his most efficient years came from when the offense also had a threat from a mobile QB (Fields and Barrett). Yes, 2018 also had the addition of Mike Weber but there is a clear and significant dip in YPC as well.

OSU has to go back a very long time to name the last pro-style QB we had a strong rushing attack under.

Several studies have been conducted, even amongst NFL QB's, that show a correlation between volume of rushing attempts from a QB and the increased value of the running back. When you lack the threat of a QB run game, the defense can spy the running back a lot easier. If you are using your QB's full potential of using his legs, it keeps the defense honest and opens up a world of possibilities. If a defense is expecting a rush from a QB, a running back in turn has a much greater opportunity to catch the defense looking the wrong way. 

QB's with mobile ability can really warp the defense's vision. Has OSU lost its identity in that sense? Are we recruiting away from and/or choosing not to play where our strengths have been for largely over a decade now? In recent memory, we have not dealt with having a pro-style QB for 2 years in a row - only 1 with Haskins which (not coincidentally?) was our last known dip in running back production.

When we played designed runs for CJ to use his legs, we started to see NW bringing a guy down to play contain on the QB and Miyan's production started getting better.

We also have not been utilizing our running backs in the passing game. In Zeke's 2 years as a starter, he had 220 yards and 206 yards out of the backfield as a receiver. Dobbins had 135, 263, and 247 yards. TreVeyon Henderson had 312 yards last year and is at -3 yards this year and Miyan currently has 26.

TreVeyon is one of the most talented, highly recruited running backs to come through Ohio State, and I believe that due to the situation of style of play at QB in conjunction with play calling the last couple of years, his potential is being squandered here and we have never truly gotten to see him shine the way he probably can.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 80 Comments