Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Help Analyze Henderson's Performance

+8 HS
burger1124's picture
January 6, 2022 at 12:07pm
85 Comments

I know we have a lot of (actual, real) football coaches hanging around these boards, and even more people who excel at watching tape and recognizing formations, so I'd love some help with evaluating Henderson's strengths and weaknesses coming out of year 1. 

The last 4 or so games of the year, what I noticed is that he has a few negative tendencies, the most apparent of which is that he runs straight for the designed gap/hole and doesn't often improvise or adapt. There were a number of open holes in the Rose Bowl game that he didn't see because he was focused on hitting the designed gap, which often wasn't there.

In terms of his development/skillset, it seems like at this point he's really dangerous when he gets to the second level. If he can get past the defensive line, look out. But behind the LOS, he doesn't seem to have an explosive first step. He often takes a while to get to the LOS, and this is where I'm not sure if it's more scheme (waiting for holes to develop) or just an area for improvement.

Overall, the kid is obviously a stud, but after the premature Heisman rumblings, I think the end of the season highlighted some areas for growth.

RB coaches, what do you see when you evaluate his tape?

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 85 Comments