Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Credit to Marcus Hooker (and Our Coaching/Support Staff)

+17 HS
ShawneeBuck74's picture
January 4, 2022 at 10:15am
19 Comments

Watching the Rose Bowl, I noticed Marcus Hooker on special teams and I thought: "Good for him."  He made some very poor choices with DUIs ... [EDITED out my speculative comment. Meant it for good though I can see how it could be problematic. Thanks for checking me.]... got kicked off the team ... lost his starting safety job (more than once) in his time here. 

In light of how Williamson and Pope have responded to adversity, publicly, Hooker - even as our safety play/defense largely struggled this year - had no outbursts, saw no online rants from him, etc. 

Now, I realize he was on the shortest of leashes. But he could have quit the game, gone to the portal, went online and complained, descended into the drink, etc. He did not. 

Hooker evidently put his head down and got the help he needed and did what the coaches asked.  I don't know what his future is as a player here, somewhere else, etc. -- but if he can respond to his adversity and his disease like it seems he has been -- I think he'll do well.

ALSO IMPORTANT ... in light of two players publicly saying the coaches/programs are either racist or treat players poorly, look at how Day & company actually responded to a guy with 2 DUIs and limited value as a player to the team (i.e., not a starter).  MANY coaches/teams would have cut their losses and kicked this kid to the curb. Our did not. Those actions speak louder than some online emotional words. 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 19 Comments