Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Waaay Too Early 2022 Depth Chart

+16 HS
MediBuck's picture
November 27, 2021 at 5:45pm
144 Comments

My one salve for soul-searing losses is to look to the promise of next year. I'm optimistic that by cutting some of the fat in terms of underperforming upperclassmen that we'll get better in a number of positions. Thoughts?

Offense:
- QB: CJ Stroud
- RB: Treyveon Henderson / Miyan Williams
- WR: Jaxon Smith-Njigba (X), Julian Fleming/Marvin Harrison (Z), Emeka Egbuka (Y)
- TE: Cade Stover
- LT: Dawand Jones
- LG: Luke Wypler
- C: Harry Miller
- RG: Matthew Jones
- RT: Paris Johnson Jr.

Thoughts: Our biggest losses will be our dynamic trio of experienced pass catchers in Chris Olave, Garrett Wilson, and Jeremy Ruckert. Though we'll be losing multiple starters on the offensive line, I have been completely underwhelmed by the run blocking this year by the interior OL and believe that having true guards play inside will allow us to be tougher at the point of attack. I expect a more consistent run game next season by both personnel and necessity, with play action figuring more heavily in the gameplan.

Defense:
- DE: Tyler Friday, JT Tuimolao/Jack Sawyer
- 3 Tech: Ty Hamilton
- NT: Tyleik Williams
- CB: Denzel Burke, Ryan Watts/JK Johnson/Jordan Hancock
- Slot corner/Cover safety: Cam Martinez / Lathan Ransom
- FS: Josh Proctor
- SS: Ronnie Hickman
- LB: Steele Chambers, Cody Simon, Palaie Gaoteoteo

A familiar refrain for the D will be if anyone emerges for the second corner position opposite Denzel Burke and if the LB room can find more consistent play on the outside. After a few disappointing years from Larry Johnson's room, I think we see more production from our defensive ends. I wouldn't be surprised at all if we pursue a corner from the transfer portal given the slow development of Watts/Cavazos and the inexperience of the Hancock/Johnson duo. If a suitable second outside CB can be found, the back end of this D could end up being uts strength.

Overall, this looks like a very solid frame for a team. As long as we make the necessary coaching changes on defense, I have faith that this could be a squad that could make a comfortable run at a conference championship and CFP berth.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 144 Comments